Boomkin advice for 25m H Horridon

90 Worgen Druid
Hey guys, I've tried going through my logs and i'm not sure what to compare to in terms of dps. I feel like I have a lot of weight on my shoulders in terms of holding my raid back for H Horridon and I wanted to see if there is anyway to push my numbers any further.

I recently returned to raiding after taking a 5 month break and i've been VP capping/gearing up every week on my own time, plus a few coin bonus rolls here and there ...

Been working on Horridon for a 2-3 weeks now and we've gotten to 1-3% multiple times before hitting enrage and getting a Dire Call wipe.

As one of the lower end dps in my raid, i'm just trying to solve my problems.

Wipe at 12:15, hitting Enrage: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ic8zvb84nn5lz4hu/sum/damageDone/?s=5729&e=6465

Wipe at 13:04, also hitting Enrage: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ic8zvb84nn5lz4hu/sum/damageDone/?s=8831&e=9615

Wipe at 9:41: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-h1pl9k57h84owj1k/analyze/dd/source/?s=2081&e=2663

Am I pushing my limits with my gear? I've had my 491 Sha Touched LFR Staff for ages now and it has 2-3k less SP on it than current weapons so I feel really gimped. Would a current tier weapon upgrade really make that much of a huge difference in dps for me? I also do not have a tier bonus at all, which i'm sure doesn't help much.

Anyways, thanks for looking at my logs and the help. I appreciate it!
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Also looking for advice on this boss.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Least the mechanics are fairly easy ... :)
Just not sure if i'm focusing the right things.

For example, earlier attempts, I really focused on multidotting every single add and then dumping my SS procs on Horridon exclusively.

Tonight, I kept dots rolling on Horridon but I focused on the marked adds for each door instead of the boss. So the adds felt like they were going down faster and left some extra spare time to dps the boss inbetween doors.

Just trying out different things.
I noticed one attempt my Starsurge damage seemed low -- so the following attempt I focused more on making sure I tried to salvage every proc instead of letting it sit while I casted.

Just a few examples of me experimenting my dps for the fight.
Edited by Shikoku on 5/8/2013 9:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
I've honestly been ignoring horridon, but we are wiping to dumber things than enrage. I just ahte that I always get the first or second dino and it obliterates my damage. I've just been throwing my normal rotation on them when knocking back to try and not waste too much NG time on them without progressing my bar, what have you been doing?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I've honestly been ignoring horridon, but we are wiping to dumber things than enrage. I just ahte that I always get the first or second dino and it obliterates my damage. I've just been throwing my normal rotation on them when knocking back to try and not waste too much NG time on them without progressing my bar, what have you been doing?

Everytime that Dire Call goes out ... i'm like PLEASE DONT BE ME PLEASEEEEE in my head. xD

I've just set as focus and dot, wait a second ... dot, wait another second, dot ... and then continue my rotation elsewhere. I always knock it back 3 times and then continue dpsing the actual adds. I also try to position myself to 'aim' it away from under the boss and behind the melee/adds.

Because knowing my luck, I always get charged 2-3 times in a row per attempt.

What irritates me the -most- is that sometimes starfall hits the Direhorn and knocks it back ... other times it takes damage and just keeps coming towards me. Is this a bug? :/

The part that sucks the most is once the God comes out and Direhorn is up your !@# and in a crappy position, its a pain to output a ton of dps unless you've popped all your CDs + Starfall and can keep your eyes off that thing for a good 20-30 seconds.

The Direhorn add is the most frustrating mechanic the boss has to offer.
Edited by Shikoku on 5/8/2013 10:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
You should always keep DoTs up on Horridon, especially once he gets his debuff.

Are you speccing into NV? It's better on this fight because of the damage debuff on Horridon.

Using Vortex on Barney helps a lot with keeping him off you, it'll knock him back a few times. It's great for solar phases. I don't think I've ever had issues with starfall not keeping Barney off me, not sure what that is.

Also, when there's a large amount of adds up only use your eclipsed DoT. The un-eclipsed one isn't worth it.

I didn't actually look at your logs because I'm working on H Megaera progression but those are a few things I thought of that could potentially help.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKupOsaJmk

This describes the fight.

You open doors.
Trolls get on the floor.
You walk the dinosaur.

Okay. Now that's all said and done.

While in Eclipse, only keep your Eclipsed DOT rolling. If you're on the second door or further, keep Horridon DOT'd with both DOTs.

Trying to cycle Eclipse as much as possible. A little trick is to try and keep your Dino in the path of the pile of mobs. This way its easy to keep track of him AND you can do a quick Mushroom+Detonate. In addition to getting free 80k damage, you knockback your Dino.

During the last phase, Moonfire/Sunfire + Wrath = 2 knockbacks (in this order). Starfall = ignore the Dino (Starfall will do the work for you, tunnel the boss).

Know your cooldowns and the time to enrage. If you're only going to get 1 more CD usage on the fight, be sure to save it for the best possible time. This could mean during Bloodlust or when a trinket procs. You need to make the last cooldown usage the best it can.

It's hard to say what needs to be better, but I think you need to cycle Eclipse more. You also should have had 4 cooldown uses. You only had 3 on the 12:15 attempt. Technically, you could have fit 5 in this time. [Opener, Middle-end of Door2, Transition/Start of Door4, During Phase5, Nearing Enrage]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j35Zy1f0S7g
^ Moonkin POV (check up some of the other videos as well.)
Edited by Cyous on 5/8/2013 11:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
You've got quite a different damage breakdown from the other boomkin in your raid who's doing about 30% more damage than yourself. He has double the amount of Starfall damage for example. (looking at Try 4). Perhaps copy off him if you can't think of anything better?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
You've got quite a different damage breakdown from the other boomkin in your raid who's doing about 30% more damage than yourself. He has double the amount of Starfall damage for example. (looking at Try 4). Perhaps copy off him if you can't think of anything better?

I'm guessing that's because, as Cyous noted, he's not cycling eclipses often enough and resetting it.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
Some tricks for the Dinosaur. Obviously if you can push to lunar and starfall while strafeing away you'll have more gcds for the boss, but

focus solar beam. off the gcd. knocks it back

vortex in front of it. will knock it back 3 times every time it touches the tip of the vortex.

When you get 4+ adds stick to your eclipse dot, make a /cast [target=boss1] starsurge and use your procs on the boss if you're looking okay on adds. Then uneclipsed dot as filler.
Edited by Shinabubs on 5/9/2013 9:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
the most useful thing I can say for this fight is the following:

#showtooltip Faerie Fire
/target Direhorn Spirit
/cast Faerie Fire
/targetlasttarget

Removes any sort of facing or targeting requirement for the direhorn (and works effectively as a knockback). as long as you are able to keep visual track of it, just hit the macro whenever you need to knock it back. And if you have starfall up, you can just ignore it completely for a while as each star hit will trigger another knockback.

Of course if it's already being knocked back (and for a second or so after it lands sometimes), nothing will happen when it's hit, so spamming at it generally doesnt do anything.

as a small note, Replace Direhorn spirit with Humming Crystal for tortos!
Edited by Kosars on 5/9/2013 10:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I just wanted to say thank you for all the tips and advice! I hope to use this information to study up this weekend, make a few macros and give this another go come next week. :)

I also managed to nab a TF Hydra trinket from Magera on a bonus roll, so hopefully that'll also help contribute to my dps. :D
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I also managed to nab a TF Hydra trinket from Magera on a bonus roll, so hopefully that'll also help contribute to my dps. :D

I. Am. So. Jealous. They gave the heroic one to a warlock. /cry

Good luck next week, if you have any more questions there's plenty of us that are happy to help out. :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Just wanted to give a huge thanks for the tips, we killed H Horridon tonight and my dps increased a little bit. Still not amazing but, I performed a lot better and managed my add better. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]