8 million people.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/10/2013 04:04 PMPosted by Roahin
They do not count people that don't pay.

...it says in EVERY NEWS SOURCE that they DO count those people. Why ask for sources if you're going to close your eyes, cover your ears and refuse to read them?

Let me quote from the quarterly so your mind can grasp the true facts.
Since you yell so much that we read the sources i went ahead and did.

Subscriber Definition: World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted
as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

Edit: the copy paste came unorganized.
Edited by Calathiel on 5/10/2013 4:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
No they don't. They count people who are in their 30 day trial, or have prepaid balances. Those are active.

Active subscribers are not people who quit.

*nosepinch*

Please read the report. It states that the majority of the 1.3 million losses were in the Eastern markets.

Now do yourself one better and research how their subscriptions work in the Eastern markets. Those people do not pay subscription fees.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
No they don't. They count people who are in their 30 day trial, or have prepaid balances. Those are active.

Active subscribers are not people who quit.

*nosepinch*

Please read the report. It states that the majority of the 1.3 million losses were in the Eastern markets.

Now do yourself one better and research how their subscriptions work in the Eastern markets. Those people do not pay subscription fees.

Do yourself a favor and read the quarterly yourself instead of trying so hard to become an MVP lol. I just quoted you the definition of Active subscribers from Blizzard. They do NOT recognize people under free promotional subscriptions.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
We can get this real straight right now.

Yes or no.

Are you saying that Blizzard includes playing time that doesn't get paid for as a subscriber loss?

Yes means that 1 subscriber loss could *by the rules* mean that non-paying play time is counted as a lost subscriber.

No means that every subscriber counted as *lost* has a negative impact on their profits.

It's not that simple. You're using the Western standard for subscription as a means of evaluating subscription gain or loss. The Eastern market uses prepaid subscription time and game cards. Those markets fluctuate wildly and constantly, a point where whenever Blizzard announces gains in subscriptions, naysayers are quick and vehement to point out are generally Asian gains while the Western subscriptions stand static.

The loss of people using their game cards is not the same thing as losing a dedicated monthly subscription. Educate yourself on the differences before shrieking doom and gloom.

[EDIT]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft#Subscription

Read regional variations people. Your subscriptions do not work like the Eastern subscriptions.
Edited by Roahin on 5/10/2013 4:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
it's always amusing to browee the forums and see the fanboys and/or community managers and/or MVPs defend every stupid blizzard development decision until they are out of breath and collapsing at the keyboard from exhaustion

It's rarely amusing to watch the end time prophets announcing the end of WoW with every change in game sneering at people using logic and facts to explain with growing impatience to them how wrong they are.

But you're still here, aren't you?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
We can get this real straight right now.

Yes or no.

Are you saying that Blizzard includes playing time that doesn't get paid for as a subscriber loss?

Yes means that 1 subscriber loss could *by the rules* mean that non-paying play time is counted as a lost subscriber.

No means that every subscriber counted as *lost* has a negative impact on their profits.

It's not that simple. You're using the Western standard for subscription as a means of evaluating subscription gain or loss. The Eastern market uses prepaid subscription time and game cards. Those markets fluctuate wildly and constantly, a point where whenever Blizzard announces gains in subscriptions, naysayers are quick and vehement to point out are generally Asian gains while the Western subscriptions stand static.

The loss of people using their game cards is not the same thing as losing a dedicated monthly subscription. Educate yourself on the differences before shrieking doom and gloom.

[EDIT]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft#Subscription

Read regional variations people. Your subscriptions do not work like the Eastern subscriptions.

Funny how you suddenly changed your point of view after i quoted some truth into you.
So now you change from "they count people that didnt pay" to "oh the game cards market fluctuates a lot and that's why we see so many losses"

Just stop trying to be MVP dude, seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It is that simple. A loss of 1.3 million is a loss of revenue. Those people did pay to play. Not the same as the North American model, but money regardless.

Except how the standard works.

If I buy the game and a month's subscription... then cancel my subscription, I count as a lost patron. If someone in China buys a $4 bracket of time, tries it out once for five minutes and quits, they count as a lost subscription.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
it's always amusing to browee the forums and see the fanboys and/or community managers and/or MVPs defend every stupid blizzard development decision until they are out of breath and collapsing at the keyboard from exhaustion

but hey guys keep it up

"hey we still have 5 million, #1 who cares"
"hey we still have 3 million, #1 who cares"
"hey where did everyone go ?"

As I've said in another thread, why are you using subs as a mark for WoW's success? Assuming you've been playing since Vanilla (Vanilla players cry about everything, speaking from experience), WoW was at it's lowest subs back then and is widely considered to be the best expac? And of course its highest sub count was in WOTLK, which is thought to be worse than BC but just better than Cata.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Funny how you suddenly changed your point of view after i quoted some truth into you.
So now you change from "they count people that didnt pay" to "oh the game cards market fluctuates a lot and that's why we see so many losses"

No, I dumbed down my stance because you didn't bother to research any of your claims. I made the stupid assumption that you were aware that they don't pay subscription fees and worked on a different model entirely. As you adamantly argued that they did pay subscriptions, I figured I should break it down more for you. I see that in educating you, you've dropped down to personal attacks in lieu of voicing any opinion, so...

The loss of someone trying out a $4 timecard is not the same thing as a $15/monthly subscription, particularly when its in the Asian market where paid subscriptions are almost non-existent and WoW is a very tiny footnote MMO over there.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/10/2013 04:19 PMPosted by Roahin

It's rarely amusing to watch the end time prophets announcing the end of WoW with every change in game sneering at people using logic and facts to explain with growing impatience to them how wrong they are.

But you're still here, aren't you?

What facts exactly? you haven't made a single point, you are here (like in every other thread i see you) trying to prove everyone else wrong, not making a point of your own. Sadly for you, you haven't had success here.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You stated...they were mostly non paying subs. That is wrong.

They. Don't. Pay. Subscriptions.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

No, I dumbed down my stance because you didn't bother to research any of your claims. I made the stupid assumption that you were aware that they don't pay subscription fees and worked on a different model entirely. As you adamantly argued that they did pay subscriptions, I figured I should break it down more for you. I see that in educating you, you've dropped down to personal attacks in lieu of voicing any opinion, so...

The loss of someone trying out a $4 timecard is not the same thing as a $15/monthly subscription, particularly when its in the Asian market where paid subscriptions are almost non-existent and WoW is a very tiny footnote MMO over there.

Again, i do not come up with anything. I have quoted multiple times the very document you tell people to read. The quarterly report. THERE, it says that you are incorrect on both counts.
1. Blizzard is concerned.
2. Real definition of subscribers.

Bring documents proving you claims and i'll listen.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
What facts exactly? you haven't made a single point, you are here (like in every other thread i see you) trying to prove everyone else wrong, not making a point of your own. Sadly for you, you haven't had success here.

My point was that the loss of Asian subscriptions are not the same as Western subscriptions, largely in that the Eastern market doesn't have a subscription model. When they post a loss over there, it means that timecards aren't being logged into, or that someone who tried it out once for a couple of dollars didn't try it again.

I'm not saying people are wrong when they quote that 1.3 million subscriptions are lost. It's true because of how they qualify "subscriptions" by including people that don't... well, subscribe. But if you go against the whiners and qualify that most of the lost subscriptions represent virtually non-existent revenue in a market that they've gained almost no money on (comparatively) all the mouth-frothing whiners form Voltron and start spamming "LAWL U WAHNT 2 B MVP, TAHTS Y U TEECH US BOOUT SUBSKRIPSHUN MODELS!"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]