hunter pets "growl"

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Hunter
ok so I have tried to find the answer to this all over the Internet and have come up empty.

why do tanks care if a hunter pet takes aggro?
to me it would seem better to let a pet take damage than a player? and generally they don't have to die if the hunter uses mend pet ( with " Glyph of Mending" which increases the mend by %60 you don't have tom use it often.
is it a macho thing? " look at me I can take a beating better than all of you!"?
I always turn off "growl" before I enter a dungeon, because I was told to the first time I ever went in one, but can someone plz help me understand why?

thanks, Hasita.
13 Pandaren Hunter
It's courtesy. The tank is there to tank, and compared to an actually player your pet is a bad tank both in health, defense and utility.

If your pet is competing with the tank for aggro it can make things messy. Your pet can't spin the boss away from the rest of the party during a cleave or aoe, nor control anything else really except take damage.

Let the tank do what he's there for, pull out your dps pet and turn off growl.
77 Orc Hunter
Also, when you're healingyour pet, you're not dps'ing.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
It's courtesy. The tank is there to tank, and compared to an actually player your pet is a bad tank both in health, defense and utility.

If your pet is competing with the tank for aggro it can make things messy. Your pet can't spin the boss away from the rest of the party during a cleave or aoe, nor control anything else really except take damage.

Let the tank do what he's there for, pull out your dps pet and turn off growl.

first of all I already said I do turn off growl, and what is "cleave or aoe"

please note of where this post is "new players"
I'm just trying to learn :\
100 Worgen Mage

This, it's just part of working together as a team instead of everyone there soloing the place at the same time. Plus, it becomes harder to do your own part when you're spending more time healing your pet than dealing damage or helping with CC.

what is "cleave or aoe"

AoE = Area of Effect, like your Explosive trap, deals damage within an area rather than directly to a target.

Cleave is a basic melee attack in which the boss hits everything in front of it really hard. Sometimes bosses need to be moved around, and usually pointed away from the group (so something like Cleave doesn't hit everyone), and it can be difficult to control a pet to that extent while also shooting.
Edited by Drewb on 5/14/2013 10:16 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Also, when you're healingyour pet, you're not dps'ing.

the heal is a 1 click thing, not something you have to hold
90 Blood Elf Hunter
This, it's just part of working together as a team instead of everyone there soloing the place at the same time. Plus, it becomes harder to do your own part when you're spending more time healing your pet than dealing damage or helping with CC.

I do play as a team member, I'm just trying to understand, I dont have a tank toon, SHEESH
..... as the for healing pet thing.... already answered that.
100 Worgen Mage
You asked, we've told you. The attitude is neither necessary or appreciated.
It is the Tank's sole job in a dungeon to keep the big baddies from eating everyone else for lunch. That's it. That's the only reason we're there. Part of that means holding aggro--on anything and everything.

If a pet taunts a mob or boss off the Tank, the Tank has to waste an 8 second CD to get the mob / boss back, which could put the entire group in a bind if a DPS suddenly pulls ahead on threat and the Tank can't Taunt, or the Healer pulls aggro and the Tank can't Taunt. Fighting for threat with a pet can mess with threat tables VERY quickly, and it makes the Tank's job much harder than it needs to be.

So...we ask you to turn growl off so that neither you nor anyone else dies :)
90 Blood Elf Hunter
AoE = Area of Effect, like your Explosive trap, deals damage within an area rather than directly to a target.

Cleave is a basic melee attack in which the boss hits everything in front of it really hard. Sometimes bosses need to be moved around, and usually pointed away from the group (so something like Cleave doesn't hit everyone), and it can be difficult to control a pet to that extent while also shooting.

thank you

It is the Tank's sole job in a dungeon to keep the big baddies from eating everyone else for lunch. That's it. That's the only reason we're there. Part of that means holding aggro--on anything and everything.

If a pet taunts a mob or boss off the Tank, the Tank has to waste an 8 second CD to get the mob / boss back, which could put the entire group in a bind if a DPS suddenly pulls ahead on threat and the Tank can't Taunt, or the Healer pulls aggro and the Tank can't Taunt. Fighting for threat with a pet can mess with threat tables VERY quickly, and it makes the Tank's job much harder than it needs to be.

So...we ask you to turn growl off so that neither you nor anyone else dies :)

thank you, this is what I was asking ;)
Edited by Hasita on 5/14/2013 10:28 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Hunter
You asked, we've told you. The attitude is neither necessary or appreciated.

huh? what attitude?
93 Orc Warrior
The other big thing is that a lot of the tank's ability to build aggro and do damage comes from the Vengeance ability. Taking damage increases your attack power, which in turn ups your damage, which in turn ups your threat. If you only count on taunts, it'll be easy for someone who's doing real DPS to take aggro away from you.

If your pet keeps attention off the tank for long enough, Vengance will fall off. It's then annoying to get back up when they're competing with someone's pet.
90 Night Elf Warrior
Mend Pet still consumes a global cooldown that could have been spent doing damage. If you keep 100% uptime on Mend Pet, you are spending 10% of your GCDs not doing what you are supposed to do.

Others already covered the positioning issues. There are also other cases in which the tank really needs to be the one attacked by the mob. Two examples: 1) in dungeons tanks may decide to pull multiple packs of trash mobs together for the DPS to AOE down; if your pet taunted one off, that mob is not going to go into the pack. 2) In some cases tanks need to line-of-sight pull, i.e., getting aggro on a ranged mob, then move behind a pillar or a wall, etc., so that the mob can't see the tank and will run over. (You might have seen this on the second-to-last trash pack before the last boss of Stormstout Brewery.) Obviously, this technique will not work if the mob isn't attacking the tank.
55 Human Warlock
Also, I think it just makes things more confusing for a tank when a pet suddenly gets aggro. The tank needs to know what's going on with the mobs around the group, and when one of them suddenly gets pulled off him, it is probably an unpleasant suprise and he has to waste time figuring out what happened and adjusting. In other words, I think it probably upsets a tank's rhythm to "help" him, unless you work this out with him beforehand.

On my hunter, i would only use growl on my pet if the healer is under attack and the tank seems preoccupied, and I thought the healer needed immediate help.
10 Night Elf Druid
AS a tank you need to move around, make sure the mobs on you follow you, when I'm chain pulling I want my last pulls to follow ME. So if the pet take aggro that one mob that isn't following me (same goes with player that slow or CC the mobs without telling me) while I'm running around to chain pull I spam my AoE abilities to keep aggro on everyone, but if the pet took aggro and keep that mob out of my AoE range, then I'm not applying aggro on that mob.

Plus your pet do not hold aggro as good as a real tank, so the DPS will steal aggro, die from the mob attacking them, then the mob turn around and kill the healer, and then it's a wipe.

Plus the pet CGD your pet uses to growl, he's not using a DPS abilities, which lower your DPS which slow down the progression.

Yes SOMETIME pet tanking can be useful, the tank pulled too much mob and the healer is AFK. The healer is OOM and the tank is dieing. The tank is dead. The tank request help to tank to manage the adds etc...
90 Draenei Shaman
I think you got a lot of great answers, so I'm just going to add a point.

As you play dungeons will get harder and more difficult. Eventually your pet won't be able to handle tanking, and at that point it will cause the group to wipe.

It's always good to get use to these habits early on, because it's the formula the game is trying to get you into eventually. The tank aspect of your pet is only meant for soloing.
Edited by Zolie on 5/14/2013 11:44 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Warrior
Plus the pet CGD your pet uses to growl, he's not using a DPS abilities, which lower your DPS which slow down the progression.

This isn't quite right. Hunter pet DPS is limited by focus regen and the 3 second cooldown on their basic attack, not by GCD. Moreover, according to Wowhead, pet growl is not on the GCD anyway. (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=2649) In short, having growl on autocast shouldn't hurt a pet's damage output - unless it's killed, since dead pets do zero DPS.
13 Pandaren Hunter
How can someone be level 90 and not know what cleave and aoe are?
90 Night Elf Rogue
How can someone be level 90 and not know what cleave and aoe are?

There's a ton of ways someone could get to level cap and not know those things. This being the New Player Help forum, we don't judge someone for not knowing things that "most" people would likely know. We just explain the bits they don't know when they say they don't know them.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]