Question for healers that raid

61 Goblin Warlock
Just coming back after a long long break, almost 2 years. Going to stat fresh and roll a tank for the first time. My question is along the lines of the tank you prefer the most but with a few twists. So which tank makes your job easier as a whole? Does it seem that one tank just seems to work better for the raid as a whole and not just keeping the boss on him?

I healed in wrath quite a bit. My favorite tank was a Frost DK because he had that aoe snare and if a mob or two got loose, they were usually snared and gave us healers a little more time to react. Now I dont' think our Frost DK was easier to heal than our Pally at the time, but I just prefered him over the pally for that reason alone.

Anyways, thanks, good to be back.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/08/2013 07:12 AMPosted by Judarlock
So which tank makes your job easier as a whole?

All tanks are fine if played well. Better thing to do is pick which one you find the most fun. Personally i have level 2 seperate warriors as prot. To me they are the most fun tanking class to play by far. But that is just personal opinion. So many buttons to mash.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Any tank that is highly raid aware, capable of communicating, and willing to manage their threat to coordinate with another tank is imho, a great tank.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses, of course, which all come down to personal preference. I think I speak for nearly all healers when I say:

We just want a tank played well, regardless of spec.
Reply Quote
61 Goblin Warlock
Ok, thanks for the replies. Nice to see Blizzard seems to have everything balanced so well. Back when I played I remember a time us healers and my GM refused a DK tank. I think it was during ToT. Didn't matter how good the DK was geared, they just got eaten alive in that raid.

ANyways, thanks again, Warrior or DK now lol. I always thought of them as the most fun. Pally was always meh to play, and I dont' like looking at bear butt lol.
Edited by Judarlock on 5/8/2013 7:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
You just have to have cooperative tanks that work together. I think weaknesses (such as the AoE threat gen with DK's) become an issue when your other tank and DPS are just yanking threat everywhere and anywhere.

Obviously all tanks have strengths and weaknesses, but generally skill rules over class advantage to a large extent.
Reply Quote
66 Human Death Knight
Oh, dear! I'm the noobest noob ever! I did not know frost DK's can tank, I thought only blood does that.

Anyway, all tanks are awesome when they look around them to get a feel for the group. Too many times the tank happens to be a monk who stacks rolls and flying serpent, placing him way ahead of us, while the rest of us have to simply run. Result? Healer is about to have a nervous breakdown.

So, if leveling a monk, watch how you use the rolls and flying serpent. But that could be the noob talking. :-P
Edited by Adeenah on 5/8/2013 8:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Monks are always flying ahead.

I'm not convinced they know just how far ahead they get...
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Personally, I love having a pally tank in raids, as they have useful buffs and raid CDs, and depending on how they choose talents, they put out as much raid healing as a (bad) healer. But as others have mentioned, there are no real bad tanking classes these days, so pick what you like the best. I have a monk and a warrior at max level, and I find monk tanking extremely fun.

@Adeenah, Frost was the tank spec back in Wrath. That was changed to Blood in Cata.
Edited by Pipikaula on 5/8/2013 8:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
61 Goblin Warlock
Oh, dear! I'm the noobest noob ever! I did not know frost DK's can tank, I thought only blood does that.

Yeah, back in the day DK's had two tanking trees. Was cool.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
05/08/2013 08:08 AMPosted by Judarlock

Yeah, back in the day DK's had two tanking trees. Was cool.

All 3 were actually capable, although hardly anyone actually tanked as Unholy.

Frost tanking was really, really fun though. Only tank I've ever actually had fun with.

Anyway, right now, all of the tanks are doing very well. I have to confess a particular love for DKs and paladins, but it's probably irrational.

The only tank I'm a little cautious around is monks; monks are perfectly fine tanks if played well, but since they're so new, there's a lot of wrong information about them out on the Internet/floating around the chat channels, so there are a lot of people (even well-intentioned decent players) playing them wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Just coming back after a long long break, almost 2 years. Going to stat fresh and roll a tank for the first time. My question is along the lines of the tank you prefer the most but with a few twists. So which tank makes your job easier as a whole? Does it seem that one tank just seems to work better for the raid as a whole and not just keeping the boss on him?

I healed in wrath quite a bit. My favorite tank was a Frost DK because he had that aoe snare and if a mob or two got loose, they were usually snared and gave us healers a little more time to react. Now I dont' think our Frost DK was easier to heal than our Pally at the time, but I just prefered him over the pally for that reason alone.

Anyways, thanks, good to be back.

All tanks are viable at the moment, but Paladins are widely considered to be the most viable due to their huge amount of utility and CDs. Bear tanks are strong. Monk tanks are ridiculous, as they're the only tank that can completely soak certain raid abilities and simply make the damage "never happen" through their twin abilities of Stagger and Purifying Brew. Blood DKs do a ridiculous amount of self and raid healing, often seeming like an extra healer similar to a Paladin. And Warrior tanks are quite viable as well, though they suffer a bit from a lack of CDs and self-healing.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Like most that have posted here I agree that most all the tanks are viable and good. Though not all players are good...generally the tanks are fine.

It's the DMG that often griefs the heals.

It's been that way for a long time though...standing in fire, ignoring mechanics, and the like.
If a tank is bad it is obvious almost instantly. If the healer is bad people die. If DMG is bad they will either kill themselves or cause annoying little problems the rest of us have to mitigate.

I think that the relationship of Tank-Healer is good these days. I have not had a combo that was not workable...especially with good players.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]