Grinding a million dailies to buy valor gear

90 Human Warrior
I think what they're trying to say is if this is the expansion where you are being encouraged to play the game how you want to play it then valor through dailies is too slow.

If all you like to do is dailies and that's how you choose to play the game then it would take you about a month of just doing Isle of Thunder dailies to be able to purchase one trinket. A little less if you kill rares or participate in non-IoT dailies.

That does seem a little slow in my opinion, but I do LFR, normal modes, scenarios, and farm rares.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
05/09/2013 03:55 PMPosted by Fasç
Because of the vast array of sources you can get gear from and the fact that the restrictions on much of the gear are largely lifted.

Vast array?
I have three viable sources for my helm: Dark Animus, Twin Consort and Lei Shen.

The only other option is to shell out 80K for haunting spirits to make a helm. While yes, I can make money in the game, but to make 80K will take a significant amount of time--you know that very grindy thing that Bashiok claimed we don't need.

So I'm pretty much completely at the mercy of RNG at this point. Which is why I'm asking: Why do we have these arbitrary changes in mid expansion which breaks one of the mitigating mechanism for bad RNG?

In 5.0/5.1, you could craft 496 chest and gloves. That did not negate the existence of chest and gloves from VP vendors. They weren't as good as the crafted versions, but they worked well enough for those waiting for their item to drop.

At this point, I'm not even asking for things to be changed. But I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for an explanation of why this change was made. It's frustrating enough that I can't get the RNG to cooperate. It's doubly so when there doesn't seem to be much in the way of communication from devs other than the occasional GC's tweets and/or oddball comments like Bashiok's in this thread (seriously, you think Challenge modes are the fastest source of VP? Really?!?).
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I'm surprised this hasn't been linked yet.

@ Mr "I dont wanna race the clock and challenge modes are zergfests"
You have some readin to do. Also you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

http://www.wowpedia.org/Zerg
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
05/09/2013 04:08 PMPosted by Frumbles
We've spoken to that a few times, but essentially it was just an oversight in making VP too much of the gearing process at the start, and there's really no point now in trying to force JP into the mix. The current progression works well, it's quick, it helps people get alts into the latest content, and we're not really looking to force a change just so Justice Points can feel better about themselves. (poor Justice Points, so lonely)

It also doesnt hurt that Valor has a finite amount that you can accrue weekly which naturally slows the pace at which you can gear. Allowing the use of justice points to purchase the gear from the previous factions, even at an inflated rate, would go against the obvious roadblocks set up in the expansion. Even the legendary quest has become a required grind. I think that this desire to slow the gamer communities progression artificially has led to alot of the burn out people have been experiencing as of late (As reflected in the subscription numbers)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
on topic-ish: your ilevel once you pass 463 doesn't mean jack as far as I recall in challenge modes. everything gets scaled back to that, whether you're heroic thunderforged or freesh geared from heroics. could be wrong, but I believe that's what happens.

off topic: can you guys please start banning people that comment on 1.3 million subs going away, without knowing what those 1.3 mil were? guys, if 1.3 million people in the world had children and decided to stop playing for their families, why do you think that has ANYTHING to do with how blizz is handling the game? ffs, get over it!

on topic: you don't get valor for not doing work, be that doing dailys (second slowest way) to spam running nowadays heroics (potentially fastest). the slowest is sitting in trade LF a raid group with an open spot, that's a good way to get into groups that'll get you far more repair bills than valor.

that means, you don't get gear that requires valor without performing valorous acts.

you can buy blues, for doing... justicious (o.O) acts, like running normal dungeons.

you can get blues handed to you (debunking) by questing (work).

what else do you WANT?!

caps time:

I JUST SUBBED TO WOW! I SHOULD BE LEVEL 90 AND 546 ILEVEL, WHY AM I LEVEL 1?!?!?!!!! jesus...
Edited by Abriel on 5/9/2013 4:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Jumping in a bit off topic, but wouldn't that be a race against time then? My understanding of zerg (from the Zerg race in Starcraft) is to overwhelm by throwing massive waves of combatants at the problem to make it go away (the way the players handle Oon comes to mind) which does not fit your use of the term.

You are precisely correct.

Zerging is using vastly superior numbers and constant reinforcements to overwhelm a foe.

Oondasta is a perfect example of Zerging. Players die by the dozens, if not hundreds, even in a successful attempt, and they do any damage they can to the enemy before keeling over.

I'm a bit of a sadist when it comes to RTS gaming. There's this game I play, an RTS, and sometimes for giggles I just create the most basic infantry squads, tell them to reinforce to full automatically, then send them to attack the enemy base. It usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour, but eventually they get in there and wipe everything out. Usually with casualties from 1,200 - 1,500 or so.

Then there was this one Starcraft: Brood War LAN game I played against my brother. He was Zerg, I was Protoss. We built up our forces, went in for the attack, but then we realized it was stupid because neither of us would be able to win, since I had Reavers - second only to Siege Tanks in defeating Zerg ground forces - (oh, and one of the rules we had was no air forces) and he had Lurkers, so...

We decided to kill off our superior forces, and make NOTHING but Zealots and Zerglings (also, it was on a money map, so nearly infinite resources). Three hours of constant back and forth later, the line of scrimmage moving up and down the map slowly, we got disconnected and the game ended. 10,000 dead Zerg. 2,000 dead Protoss.

Edit: Oh, and then there was this one fictional commander in another game universe. He had a reputation for using what we'd call Zerg tactics. With millions of humans. In fact, he seems to PREFER waging war by sacrificing as many troops as possible. Minefields? March the troops over the mines, clear em that way. Heavily armored citadel? Screw artillery, just have some dudes draw fire while other, slightly more competent dudes run demolition charges toward the gates. The really messed up part is that he not only gets the job done that way - since he has tens of millions of lives at his command to sacrifice - but he GETS MEDALS FOR IT! That's a really messed up universe.
Edited by Pouncey on 5/9/2013 4:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I think what they're trying to say is if this is the expansion where you are being encouraged to play the game how you want to play it then valor through dailies is too slow.

If all you like to do is dailies and that's how you choose to play the game then it would take you about a month of just doing Isle of Thunder dailies to be able to purchase one trinket. A little less if you kill rares or participate in non-IoT dailies.

That does seem a little slow in my opinion, but I do LFR, normal modes, scenarios, and farm rares.

Valor rewards are balanced against the difficulty of the content, and the time and organization it requires. If everything gave the same amount of valor it wouldn't be a choice, there would be 1 fastest and easiest way to get Valor because it would literally be the fastest and easiest way.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Valor rewards are balanced against the difficulty of the content, and the time and organization it requires. If everything gave the same amount of valor it wouldn't be a choice, there would be 1 fastest and easiest way to get Valor because it would literally be the fastest and easiest way.

Do you agree though that making the Valor bonus for heroics daily, instead of an allotment of 7 bonus's, was clearly a measure put in place to slow capping by artificially directing people towards logging on everyday instead of in blocks of time?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I don't even know what people are arguing for or against in this thread anymore.

To be honest, I was just reminiscing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The only other option is to shell out 80K for haunting spirits to make a helm. While yes, I can make money in the game, but to make 80K will take a significant amount of time--you know that very grindy thing that Bashiok claimed we don't need.

So you have the same opportunities for a helmet as everyone else! I get it that it sucks, you have your meta, you need a helmet for it to go in and it won't drop.

But this is just Sha Touched Gem all over again, except instead of a specific weapon (and not even just any weapon), it is a helmet. I don't think they need to explain themselves whatsoever when it comes to the Legendary sync ups with actual loot.

Compared to getting Gao-Rei to drop, just having ANY helmet at my disposal is a far cry better.

And Bash said you don't have to grind FACTIONS/DAILIES, not that you don't have to do anything to get what you want. Depending on your professions, your alts, your server's economy, etc you can make 80k in pretty short order or just snipe the cheaper Hauntings as they come up. Money is easily made and spent, so its on you if you want to shell out cash now or later for a helmet.

If the 80k or less isn't worth it to you, chances are the Legendary just isn't THAT important really.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
(seriously, you think Challenge modes are the fastest source of VP? Really?!?).

And yes, really, if done efficiently.

Part of it is a plug to get people to try it. Part of it is that it really is true but requires some grouping and forethought and the ability to maintain a group of buddies that can work together. People constantly lament that grouping is dead, cohesion is dead, social aspects are dead, blah blah, but then can't be arsed to try the stuff that requires that group cohesion.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
To sell it to my guild, I think CMs would have to be along the lines of 200 VP for the 1st clear of the day and 100 thereafter, and a LFD tool to port us out there like Scenarios are getting (are CMs getting that too maybe?)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
05/09/2013 04:32 PMPosted by Fasç

So you have the same opportunities for a helmet as everyone else!

Again not the point.
To put it simply: Why is it this way?
Why is it, EVERYONE, including myself is stymied this way?

It wasn't this way in 5.0/5.1. Why the sudden change?

So far I haven't seen an explanation from any blue poster (unless I missed it somewhere).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/09/2013 04:32 PMPosted by Fasç

So you have the same opportunities for a helmet as everyone else! I get it that it sucks, you have your meta, you need a helmet for it to go in and it won't drop.

But this is just Sha Touched Gem all over again, except instead of a specific weapon (and not even just any weapon), it is a helmet. I don't think they need to explain themselves whatsoever when it comes to the Legendary sync ups with actual loot.

Compared to getting Gao-Rei to drop, just having ANY helmet at my disposal is a far cry better.

And Bash said you don't have to grind FACTIONS/DAILIES, not that you don't have to do anything to get what you want. Depending on your professions, your alts, your server's economy, etc you can make 80k in pretty short order or just snipe the cheaper Hauntings as they come up. Money is easily made and spent, so its on you if you want to shell out cash now or later for a helmet.

If the 80k or less isn't worth it to you, chances are the Legendary just isn't THAT important really.

blizzard doesn't have to explain ANYTHING to ANYONE! this is their game, they made it, they can do whatever they like to it, and we pay for the game THEY make! if we don't like it, we can leave.

farm whatever you want to farm for VP. don't bother farming VP and run LFR until you're fully geared, and only equip gear you win in raids.

the only things that hold people to grinding VP, is that a large number of raiders think ilevel is what downs bosses instead of players behind the toons.

there are two things to downing a boss:

1: it doesn't enrage.
2: enough people live until the boss dies.

nowhere does it mention that you have to be fully heroic geared to do that in normal. it's a good suggestion, but the difference in 548 bracers and 476 bracers hasn't kept my DK out of top 5 DPS in some raiding circumstances.

none of that even says anything about farming VP for crying out loud.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
To sell it to my guild, I think CMs would have to be along the lines of 200 VP for the 1st clear of the day and 100 thereafter, and a LFD tool to port us out there like Scenarios are getting (are CMs getting that too maybe?)

CM's do have a port if you did gold on it, check your spellbook...?
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
This whole thread is people whining about how hard gearing is when it doesn't take longer than 7 days to be in ToT LFR. Is this the LFR generation coming through because you're all just overflowing with entitlement.
Reply Quote
Not complaining but I would like to see an increase in the rep given per turn in for the Golden Lotus and a few other reps. I am wanting to collect all of the mounts but it's just such a daunting amount of dailies and turn ins needed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
so umm... should we take this to mean jp is now a garbage currency since it doesn't provide anything useful to this expansion and working as intended?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]