Hi :) New, need some advise

7 Goblin Mage
•Do you want to have a permanent pet? Is a temporary one okay with you? Or does it not matter if you have a pet?
=Doesn't really matter, although I'd rather have a permanent one. If pets really help out in fights then I'd love one.

•Are you partial to cloth wearers or do you want a little more bulk in your armor?
=More defense so maybe heavier armour, I just don't like having little armour to protect myself, not keeping in mind about spells and stuff

•What have you played in other games before? Maybe you played a caster in another game and liked it, or have a fondness for barbarians/warriors. WoW might have a rough equivalent for you!
=I have a lvl 30 Wizard in Diablo 3, I think I enjoy it the most (along with Demon Hunter, but as much). Haven't really played much MMOs, although I've played runescape a little and was mostly just doing swordplay.

•Do you want to be able to heal yourself and others, or are you okay with lacking those spells?
=I'm okay with not having heavily-relied-on healing skills, as I plan on going more into RP server so things won't be as hardcore there, and more lenient. I feel like I'd mess up my group bad (I'm not that smart a guy) if I have a heavy reliance on healing others in those (raids, I think they're called?)

•Which is your preference: attacking enemies from a distance or being up in their faces?
=I enjoy being able to start from afar rather than having to run up close. Although I know about some WoW bosses like that Raptor in the lost isles, I tried fighting it from afarand it like, ran up and almost insta-killed me!! As a mage.

•Are you the sneaky type or do you take pleasure ripping out internal organs as a greeting right off the bat?
=I'm honestly not sure, I think I'm more of the type to just announce myself and start attacking rather than trying to sneak up and gaining an upper hand

•Do you want to be on the front lines with a shield or watching over your group to keep them safe?
=I think from a little distance, maybe having a demon or pet or something fighting them head on while I use spells?

•Will you be leveling with a friend or mostly on your own? If you're doing it with a friend, what are they planning to level, or have they not decided yet?
=I would strongly like to be leveling with a more easy-going guild, but for the most part probably by myself.

•Have you read about classes at all yet? If so, what stands out as interesting to you? Have you tried any classes already?
=I do enjoy classes with special lore for their races, for example the Blood Elf paladins have a special title and history. It says hunter is good for soloing and leveling so that sounds cool, also the thought of summoning demons as a warlock seems awesome!!

•Are you interested in the lore or story of Warcraft? Some classes have a lot of easily-absorbed lore while others are a little "less detailed" in their history.
=Big time! I've played Warcraft II and Warcraft III to death and have loved the campaigns (especially the blood elf and Rexxar campaign). I'll be definitely taking my time reading through all the dialogue :)

•Interested in roleplaying at all? This goes with the previous question, but some races/classes are easier to roleplay as a newbie than others (with lots of history to adhere to).
=I have never roleplayed before but I am >really< looking forward to trying it out in this game. Pretty much have my mind set on Wyrmrest Accord! I also don't know TOO much, I do know the basic history and I have most of the books (haven't read all of them yet though). For example I'm not quite sure how blood elf hunters deal with no magic, or if those soulstones are canon?

•Do any of the races stick out to you as being attractive? Not every race can be every class, so if you have an early favorite (or if you really dislike one in particular) this can narrow things down.
=Undead look pretty cool. However I'm not sure of them because I'd be killing a lot of humans in the lordaeron kingdom won't I? D: Don't really like troll/dwarf females, or gnome/human/belf males. But I don't know if genders really have a difference, I'm guessing not.

Sorry if my answers don't seem helpful enough, just let me know as I've said, not too bright a person I think (I've been mainly playing N64 and SNES in my gaming career, only recently received a good gaming computer so I don't know much about any of this!!) Sorry if I have a lot of grammatically-incorrect sentences! And I would also like to deeply thank anyone taking their time to read this and help me get sorted into the world of warcraft (:.
Reply Quote
Welcome to Azeroth /wave

The main "pet" classes are hunters and warlocks, in that the pet/minion is integral to the way the class fights. Death knights and Frost mages also have a pet of sorts, but it's more supplemental. Warlocks only have a few specific minions, but hunters are able to tame most beasts in the game, giving them a wide choice of fighting companion.

I should probably mention that MoP added the Pet Battle system, and you'll see it referenced now and then. In case you don't know, it involves the little vanity companion pets, and has nothing to do with any of the classes. It's basically Pokemon for when we want a break from questing or whatever, but "battle pets" and "hunter pets" are two totally different things.

A few of the classes have a healing spec, priests have two, but you don't have to heal if you don't want to. In WoW, groups generally consist of the tank who holds the enemies' attention, the DPS who does the fighting, and the healer who keeps everyone alive, mainly the tank. This is primarily for dungeons, which will become readily available at level 15 with the Dungeon Finder tool, and when you use it to queue for a group, you'll be able to select which of the three roles you're able and prepared to fill. And if you ever do want to try healing (or even tanking), the first dungeons would be a forgiving place to learn.

05/16/2013 09:31 PMPosted by Kristimbee
Undead look pretty cool. However I'm not sure of them because I'd be killing a lot of humans in the lordaeron kingdom won't I?

I'm not sure I follow -- you'll definitely be killing a lot of humans regardless of which race you choose (even human!), simply because there are a lot of bandits, cultists, and other riffraff who happen to be human -- but you'll encounter both friends and enemies of all races, some who are part of the other faction, some who are part of their own group.

It sounds like you might enjoy a hunter or warlock. There isn't a lot of obvious lore in the game for hunters like there is for someone like druids, shaman or paladins, but there's a bit for warlocks, although different races regard them in different ways (some are okay with fel magic, some aren't). You may also want to browse the World's End Tavern forum if you haven't already, as well as the realm forum for Wyrmrest down at the bottom of the listing, both of those should help in learning more about RP in WoW. Wowpedia.org is a good resource as well for catching up on lore, this page will probably be of interest:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Timeline_(unofficial)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I agree with Drewb"s advice. I just wanted to put in a plug for enhancement shaman. This class is a nice blend of spell casting and melee combat. You can start the fight at range with some openeing spells, then open up with two-fisted combat fury. You have a nice variety of elemental "pets" that you can bring out with totems, and at high level we get our spirit wolves. I find the action VERY fun. We also get mail armor for some durability.

Additionally, shaman have a healing spec, which is lacking in the other pet-based classes, if you're interested in healing down the line.

If you try enhance shaman and the play style of enhancement doesn't "click" for you, you can also respec to elemental for a pure caster spec.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
05/17/2013 12:22 AMPosted by Drewb
you'll definitely be killing a lot of humans regardless of which race you choose

"But dey were ahll BAD."
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warrior
Thanks Drewb and Nîke very much! I'll be trying out the Warlock and shaman classes then, they sound very interesting. Thanks for the information on dungeons and pets as well.

Are there any races more fit towards these two classes with their stats, or is it fair game?

Oh, and about the human comment, should have been clearer, I meant about what the Forsaken are doing as a whole and doing all those plague experiments, like didn't they plague an entire human town, not quite sure. Gameplay wise though I have no gripes on any race

Edit-I am the original poster, but for some reason my character changed :O
Edited by Silves on 5/17/2013 8:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you click the upside down carat symbol ^ next to your name, you can select which character you "are" on the forums and armory.

<S>
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]