Powershot vs. Glaive Toss

70 Night Elf Hunter
Anyone done research on the ptr to see which will be better after Powershot takes the ol' arrow to the knee?

For pvp of course.
Edited by ßowflex on 5/8/2013 8:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
arrow to the knee?
I hate you for using this term.

Powershot was already nerfed, and I only take it in MM to line it up with instant aimed and Chim.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Powershot. Cast time is quicker now, I still can hit 100k sometimes vs fully geared.
The knock back is vital along with explosive trap, its a healers nightmare. Glaives shot ruins my cc.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Ive been using powershot last few day its nice when heals group its like 3 interupts in 1
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Powershot. Glaives doesn't do remarkably more damage, but powershotting a kill target away from his healer, or the healer out of position, or knocking opponents down a level will win games outright. Even in Nagrand arena where it's flat, there still are great opportunities to put a pillar between a healer and his DPS while both of you have a clear shot and the healer is scrambling to get back into LoS.

And of course, in BGs, powershot should always be taken.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
Currently on live its almost not worth using powershot. With the change to rapid fire there is no good reason to use it. The damage is laughable for a cast. It only did real damage with cds. On the ptr hunters are more of a sustained dps class now and give fits that role much better without the cons of someone LOSing your cast or disarming you. It also helps keep you more mobile and is hands down more damage in the long run.

Edit add. Did some testing on the PTR. On the same target glaive shot did 7.7k-8.5k X 2 non crit. Powershot did 25k-27k non crit ( Picked the lowest and highest of many samples). So 15.4k-17k non crit damage compared to 25k-27k normal damage. One is on a 15 second CD and the other is 45 second. In the same 45 second window you will do 21.2k-24k more normal damage (on average) I get the knockback is nice. Use explosive trap right and you get the same of not better results (IE your rogue saps a healer you can explosive trap them off the ramp or from behind the pillar to the lower levels without breaking sap and you cant do that with powershot).

I'll be sticking with glaive shot for sure.
Edited by Saarî on 5/10/2013 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
This was an interesting topic to me. I switched, for the first time, to Powershot and went into a couple randoms with pretty low expectations. I've always really liked the snare and AoE effect of Glaive Toss, but figured what the heck.

I couldn't believe how many times I got some really effective Powershots off. And the knockback was fun and obviously disconcerting to the horde healers I was nailing from a distance.

Would this shot work in arena? I doubt it, since everyone in the sandbox would know I'm casting it. But in BG's I'm thinking it might be worth a good trial.

BTW, neither of the BG's I was in were AB. I can only imagine being at LM with this shot as well as the glyphed ex trap.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Currently on live its almost not worth using powershot. With the change to rapid fire there is no good reason to use it. The damage is laughable for a cast. It only did real damage with cds. On the ptr hunters are more of a sustained dps class now and give fits that role much better without the cons of someone LOSing your cast or disarming you. It also helps keep you more mobile and is hands down more damage in the long run.

Edit add. Did some testing on the PTR. On the same target glaive shot did 7.7k-8.5k X 2 non crit. Powershot did 25k-27k non crit ( Picked the lowest and highest of many samples). So 15.4k-17k non crit damage compared to 25k-27k normal damage. One is on a 15 second CD and the other is 45 second. In the same 45 second window you will do 21.2k-24k more normal damage (on average) I get the knockback is nice. Use explosive trap right and you get the same of not better results (IE your rogue saps a healer you can explosive trap them off the ramp or from behind the pillar to the lower levels without breaking sap and you cant do that with powershot).

I'll be sticking with glaive shot for sure.

I don't know what you are doing wrong but Powershot hits 40-60k non crit and as high as 100k crit on dummies..... Plus a knock back, Powershot wins.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior

I don't know what you are doing wrong but Powershot hits 40-60k non crit and as high as 100k crit on dummies..... Plus a knock back, Powershot wins.

how much resil these dummies rocking?
Edited by Clickz on 5/11/2013 4:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Hunter
Thank you all for the replies, i didn't realize that power shot was already nerfed having a hard time keeping up with them all.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Powershot was good when it was bugged and used to miss very often doing nothing and consuming the cd. At least it used to crit for a lot once in a while. It took them 6 months to fix it only to destroy it right after. I switched to glaives when i saw powershot crits on leather for 80k or perhaps 100k with all cds and trinkets and star alignment up.

Glaives pros: instant, short cd,snare,can be cast while disarmed,very low focus cost
Powershot: long cast, long cd, ridiculous low damage for 2.4sec hard cast ability on 45sec cd,knockback ok but explosive trap is far superior to gain positional advantage

It is a matter of personal choice. You like the funny knockback? take powershot. Its still good to gank undergeared scrubs in normal bgs.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
The damage from Glaive Toss is not to be underestimated.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter

Explo trap is harder to use imo. It still takes 2 secs to arm, and a sec or w/e to get there, and is a clunky use. The knockback is amazing for pushing a target out of range of a healer, or a healer out of range before scatter-trapping. I've used all 3 and Currently find POwershot to be my favorite. However, situation can play a big part. If in arenas you are trying to keep a rogue CC'd or under control, Glaive is better than PS.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

Your sarcasm is too cute, i meant PvP players, 120k-160k crit on dummies
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Has Blizzards plan worked too well?

In MoP the whole talent idea was that they will all be roughly equal. There is no clear-cut choice for which is better.Of course certain ones will be better in certain situations, but what it really comes down to is: Which one are you more comfortable with?
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Has Blizzards plan worked too well?

In MoP the whole talent idea was that they will all be roughly equal. There is no clear-cut choice for which is better.Of course certain ones will be better in certain situations, but what it really comes down to is: Which one are you more comfortable with?

I lol'd
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Take the one you like the most...
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
the ol' arrow to the knee

Go play in heavy traffic
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter

Your sarcasm is too cute, i meant PvP players, 120k-160k crit on dummies

And if you read any of my post it was referring to how powershot is basically on par with glaive shot atm, but after 5.3 there will be no reason to take it. Guess how much that 120k-160k crit will be after you remove 3200 pvp power from it. Better yet log on the PTR and find out. Its a joke.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Hunter
Powershots nerf is almost a buff as far as shorter cast-reduced damage goes. Hell they even scaled it. Now you dont have time to look up and say hey hes casting powershot Ive only got 5 GCDs before I have to move or throw a quick stun. Personally I think its that much less time until I hit my next button or have to worry about a cc breaking before it goes off. Because glaive toss' damage doesn't scale incredibly well with gear at 90 Id say powershot if youve got a decent weapon and are MM.

Anything else should take glaive toss IMO as its instant cast, occasionally gets things out of stealth, and has a great cost to damage/utility ratio. It also gives you one less concussive shot to have to use or lets you get it on multiple targets (not a pronlem with MM because the concussive slows tied in with a few abilities).

I like Powershot for casters (especially healer) with the whole physical damage is better with cloth deal and you cant knock them out of range occasionally, but for melee I like glaive because of the slow and Im not standing still aiming at a charging warrior when he interrupts my PS and makes me look like an A-hole.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]