Healers lend me your ears

90 Human Rogue
PVP healing and PVE healing have been QQ issues for various healer classes over the years simply because some healers shine while others take a back seat.

I had an interesting idea to solve this problem and the strange part is........... It would work for PVE and PVP at the same time.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8796449864
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It's unsustainable, and silly.

We stack the appropriate amount of raw healing power with respect to the encounter. Limiting our healing capabilities with respect to the size of our party would:

1) Make it impossible for us to have consistent expectations of our own performance through logs, meters, actual "feel". Rankings would be skewed, logs would be skewed.

2) How would you feel if the damage you did, and your energy regen scaled with the amount of people in your group? You'd be pretty gimped, eh?

3) It's not practical for coding reasons. It would require a whole new everything--gear, encounters, healing formulae

4) Its not practical for PvE by any means. As i mentioned, we pick the correct raw healing power and utility based on the fight. There's not way to make this scale correctly such that we wouldn't break PvE healing.

5) This "off healing", what do you even mean? You mean supporting healers, or healers with dps OS's (vice versa even)? They've already nerfed spriest healing, what more do you want? They can provide a bit of healing to the raid, but it's not a substitute for a healer. I think if it scaled by group, we'd see 25 man raid groups no longer taking a substantial number of healers, because by your idea, we'd scale them up to be significantly more powerful.

6) The time of static mana pools has passed. We now are more dynamic and more dependent on thinking for ourselves. We must critically evaluate what resources we use, when, and why. Not to mention our stat priorities. I'd hate to see this go and return to static mana pools based on "how many people I'm responsible for".

^ you could do it with bigger mana pools, or just make the healing spells cost more or less depending on number of players for off healing only.

This way the self healing is a static cost no matter the number of players present preventing the healer from being stronger or weaker due to number of targets he is required to heal. That way blizzard could balance the self healing independently from the off healing, and make the off healing valuable and balanced no matter the group size.

For what ever reason I was thinking of why some healers are better in different group sizes, and then was thinking.. How would you fix that, so that they are all decent no matter the group size and then I was thinking... Whoa.. 2's, 3's 5's.... RBG and Raid could all be balanced......... O.o

We do this on purpose in PvE. Raidleaders have to balance how much dps we want to bring vs how much damage will be going out. We choose this very deliberately, and there's a reason you don't see fights 5 healed. Sure, it's more healing, but it's not enough DPS.

I know you didn't want it scrutinized, but here are my thoughts on the issue.

Also, don't cross post.
Edited by Naérdriel on 5/10/2013 5:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I don't think you totally understood the point.

The healer mana consumption would be based upon the maximum group size for the event.

So if you were to join a 25 man group, then your mana consumption would reflect that situation regardless of the number of healers you bring.

If you join a 5 man group, your mana consumption would again reflect the size of the group. So that all healers could be individually balanced in all situations, and thus more easily tuned for PVE and PVP situations.

PVE could have a totally different set of code than PVP environments this way and healers could be tweaked so that they are all very well balanced.

Yes this would be challenging to program, but its possible.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I disagree, still.

Your mana consumption should be based on your individual stats. You go for thoroughput via haste (like many holy priests do), then you stack some spirit, slap some int on and there 'yah go. You don't go running around expecting the game to alter to you. You alter to the game.

The way mana is allocated per spell is fine. That's ridiculous to think that group size should have ANYTHING to do with it. So if I'm in a 25 man, I get more mana? That makes no sense. There are other healers here with me to heal. Again, they bring enough healers to cover the damage of the fight, no more, no less. If a healer has more mana based on group size, that would completely break raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I just wanted to post and say I thought of Robin Hood Men in Tights when I read the title.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I just wanted to post and say I thought of Robin Hood Men in Tights when I read the title.

*pulls my ear off and tosses it to OP*

I thought the same thing lol
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Everyone wants to change the world.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Everybody wants to rule the world.

I fixed this for you
Edited by Extalia on 5/10/2013 11:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
05/10/2013 11:52 AMPosted by Extalia
Everybody wants to rule the world.

I fixed this for you

No, thats just you. It's why I'm reluctant on the idea of you with tigers.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

Lol omg I should go watch this again.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I actually like this idea, but I think that if they were to do this they might as well implement pvp only abilities such as this for dps classes as well.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Exactly what I thought of too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XL9lJ50-UM
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]