Temporary Workaround for Resolution Issues

(Sticky)

MVP
90 Human Priest
5.3 seems to have created some issues with regard to resolutions, especially for Retina MBP owners. There is a workaround that will allow the player to use a specific resolution for WoW while also keeping the 1080p capability that has regressed in this patch. Below are the instructions for how to accomplish this:

Open the Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities/ ) and enter the following line, followed by the Enter key:

defaults write com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft DesktopModeIsDefault 1

Once entered World of Warcraft can use your current desktop resolution as if it were the native resolution. In order for this to work, you must first set your desktop resolution to whatever you want World of Warcraft to run at, and then launch World of Warcraft.

To revert your preference file, issue the following command in Terminal:

defaults delete com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft DesktopModeIsDefault

You should make a backup of this file before attempting this, just in case. The file is located here:

~/Library/Preferences/com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft.plist

To access the ~/Library folder, while in the Finder hold down the Option key and select the Go menu. You should see a "Library" entry - that is the ~/Library folder. This option is hidden until you hold down the Option key with that menu open.

This will allow you to use whatever resolution for World of Warcraft you choose like you used to without the added distortion/UI offsets caused by the non-standard resolutions that are now hard-coded into the game.

Warning: Using this method will also cause the desktop resolution to be at whatever you chose before you launched World of Warcraft. You cannot increase the resolution from outside of World of Warcraft and then re-enter the game's fullscreen mode, as this will improperly set World of Warcraft to the new desktop resolution. It is a tradeoff, but as long as you do not exit fullscreen mode it should suit your needs in-game.
Edited by Tiapriestess on 12/8/2013 6:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Monk
Thanks, this worked well for me. I lowered my res in WoW afterwards, seemed fine, normal sized cursor (most important part) and normal DPI/speed on mouse finally.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Hunter
Hiya Tia,

This is odd, this wasn't working yesterday for me on my Mac Pro, as i did it via terminal and via Xcode to make sure it was actually correct.

Today my updater downloaded another patch and i'm able to use my normal resolution.

Wonder what they did to fix it. Because I definitely tried this multiple times yesterday.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
Didn't work for me. How did you enter "com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft DesktopModeIsDefault 1"? text edit then saving it in the location?
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
Didn't work for me. How did you enter "com.blizzard.worldofwarcraft DesktopModeIsDefault 1"? text edit then saving it in the location?

The instructions are very specific - you need to enter the line as an entry in the Terminal app. TextEdit, nor XCode is never used for this purpose. The Terminal command will save the variable directly to the specified file.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Thanks Tia! I've stickied this for the time being :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Yes.
Edited by Sixthly on 5/23/2013 4:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Are you saying that by following your instructions as written above I will be able to have my MBPr display on 1920x1200 (More Space) and I can launch WoW and play WoW at 2880x1880 like I could pre 5.2?

And that the 2880x1880 resolution will show up as an option?
Edited by Khamard on 5/25/2013 6:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
Are you saying that by following your instructions as written above I will be able to have my MBPr display on 1920x1200 (More Space) and I can launch WoW and play WoW at 2880x1880 like I could pre 5.2?

And that the 2880x1880 resolution will show up as an option?

The instructions above will use whatever resolution you have your desktop set to. It will not allow you to change to any higher resolution than what your desktop is set to. For that you will have to wait for a fix from the client dev team.
Reply Quote
I guess I was looking more for a yes or no answer.

Bottom Line

I want my desktop set on (More Space) 1920x1200 and I want WoW to give me the resolution of 2880x1880

Will the instructions do that?
Edited by Khamard on 5/25/2013 10:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest

Bottom Line

I want my desktop set on (More Space) 1920x1200 and I want WoW to give me the resolution of 2880x1880

No.

This workaround is to allow users to pick a specific resolution using the desktop (OS) and forces WoW to use that particular resolution as its maximum available resolution. Using the Terminal command above renders any resolutions that are higher than whatever your desktop resolution is "invisible" as far as World of Warcraft is concerned.

Your specific case requires the client dev team to sort out whatever issues are causing the resolution scaling to become erratic, specifically with regard to the rMBP. There is no estimated timeframe for such a fix yet to my knowledge.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee

Bottom Line

I believe the fixies we have planned for the rMBP mouse scaling issue might fix this, but I will check with our team about this.
Reply Quote
86 Human Death Knight
Whenever I try this it just says, Windows cannot find "defaults".
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Genius
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Am I the only one that this does not work for. When i change the scaling on my computer nothing happens and on a high resolution i get about 15 fps. The computer is brand new also so I know that cant be right
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
07/25/2013 01:10 PMPosted by Deathholy
Am I the only one that this does not work for. When i change the scaling on my computer nothing happens and on a high resolution i get about 15 fps. The computer is brand new also so I know that cant be right

What is your system information Deathholy? All Macs should respond to this command as the preference file exists for all WoW installations.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Meanwhile, I'm sending you my system informations since I'm getting a normal DPS but a very slow mouse/keyboard response.

I configured my wow resolution at 2580x1600 and my FPS are pretty decent:

MBP Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013
Processor: 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.4

Thanks in advance.
Edited by Barahîr on 8/3/2013 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Priest
This is the wrong thread for that Barahir. You want to post here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8874517730
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
Got hit with the issue when 5.4 hit... found this thread, did as suggested, everything working as I'd expect now! Good show Tia!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I also have a 15" MacBppkPro with Retina screen.
This recommended solution above didn't work for me. However, my workaround, which seems to be working, is to ensure your MBP is updated. Then, make a copy of the file recommended above and delete the original. Leave the MBP with its default resolution. Fire up WOW but don't log in yet. The first screen displayed will have button called "System". Go into that and change the WOW resolution to 1920x1200. Save (Apply) that change and now proceed to login to WOW. This has, for a couple of days now, resolved my issues (touch wood). The thing I have discovered that the MBP doesn't seem to like are the portals. My change seems to have resolved it in my case. If I Start having any more problems, I'll report that back to this discussion.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]