New default raid alert sound - turn off?

90 Dwarf Mage
Does this remove the sound from play entirely, or only from the farm?

I'd hate to lose this warning sound on boss fights.

It completely mutes the sound. Only muting it outside of raids would be more complex.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hrm.
Reply Quote
21 Troll Priest
I don't know particularly what sound you're talking about, but there's an annoying one that pops up like.. when i'm questing.. and quest text pops up on the screen in front of me and there's an annoying tone? is this the raid warning sound?

Example: Like in the pandaren starting area when it tells you how to equip that first weapon in the first quest
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I don't know particularly what sound you're talking about, but there's an annoying one that pops up like.. when i'm questing.. and quest text pops up on the screen in front of me and there's an annoying tone? is this the raid warning sound?

Example: Like in the pandaren starting area when it tells you how to equip that first weapon in the first quest

Yes. It is the yellow emote notification that pops up in the center of your screen, and that bloody annoying sound will play whenever it is triggered. So while you're questing? Yup. Raiding? Yup. Tending to your farm? Oh, yes.

Blizzard, I'm not going to pretend that I speak for everyone, but for the love of...!! Please give us the option of disabling that noise!
Edited by Alayea on 5/26/2013 7:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Orc Warrior
Dear Choonster, you're awesome. Seriously, I couldn't stand the quest alerts. For anyone worrying about raid warnings, bigwigs and dbm will still play warning sounds.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I have the cursed Windows 8 and I am unable to locate this Sound folder. I did a search for UI_RaidBossWhisperWarning.ogg as well and only found the renamed text file on my desktop. Yes, I have all the file extensions showing, even hidden system folders, but I don't know how to find this.

Please, for the love of little apples, help me make this stop!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
The sound folder is in the mpq normally. You don't replace the sounds in mpq. Instead you mimic the path in the mpq and wow is designed to check this path if you've put in any replacement sounds, and load them in instead of defaults.
Go into Data folder in your wow folder and create a Sound and Interface subfolders, like so:
\\World of Warcraft\Data\Sound\Interface
and in it place the sound that Ro/Choonster linked then name of. Make sure you give it exactly the same name or it won't work. Also restart wow after you do.
Edited by Sedivy on 5/24/2013 3:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Thank you so much, Sedivy. My day just improved greatly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I too would be interested in limiting the sound to just playing in raids. Somehow I don't think I need that big a sound alert when I'm engaging a runty plant.

In the meantime, thanks for the addon Choonster!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I too would be interested in limiting the sound to just playing in raids. Somehow I don't think I need that big a sound alert when I'm engaging a runty plant.

In the meantime, thanks for the addon Choonster!

Still working on it, I don't raid much myself so once i get a somewhat working alpha up and manage to isolate the actually event for the sound I'll post it here.

I have no doubt that someone will make a working addon before I complete mine though as I work spontaneously.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Still no word from Blizzard about this undocumented 5.3 change, so it looks to be just another snafu we'll have to fix ourselves.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I must say I'm extremely disappointed that Blizzard added this in without a way to disable it.

Did they really think i wanted to hear that sound with every warning in the game? I could maybe see it during raid combat (though even then I find it obnoxious, because of their choice of sound), but doing my farm? Doing champions quests at the Argent Tournament?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Many of their new features are not optional which is why we like to use addons or in this case, file replacement, for things like this.
Why not just mute that particular sound as has been outlined already? Choonster gives you the empty file to download and the file path to put it in. It doesn't take all of 20 sec to do
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8873728051?page=1#17
It takes no updates, doesn't break with patches and is error proof.
Edited by Sedivy on 5/27/2013 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Blizzard PLEASE make this go away! I don't need the game yelling at me every time text pops up on the screen. It's rude, it ruins your immersion in the game and it hurts my ears.

I don't want to turn my raid sounds off to get rid of this when I am out in the world or questing.

Please make it go away faster than soon.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I just want to add my own displeasure at the over-use of this terribly annoying sound. With every caravan tip-over in the Barrens it goes off. With every plant pull on my farm it goes off. It has ruined my immersion in the game and it always hurts my ears while jarring me emotionally. It's almost like somebody is taking a cheese grater to my ears.

Thank you Choonster for the addon!
Reply Quote
Tested out adding that file and it worked like a charm! THanks so much, this's been driving me bananas.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Thank you Choonster for the raid alert sound fix :)

Now, is there any way to disable the new incredibly loud and annoying plowing sound too?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Exactly the same method. The trouble is identifying the sound. This is a complete list:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13194-SoundcommandsforeverysoundupdatedforMoP.html
but unless they name it helpfully, it's a matter of trial and error and neither farm nor plow I think bring up the right ones.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Has anyone else noticed that the zone alerts in Northern Barrens seem to have gotten louder? I checked my sound settings and I haven't touched them. Particularly annoying when you have 5 Goblin Sappers "igniting their fuse" simultaneously.

C'mon Blizzard, I shouldn't need to adjust the files for the stupid toot. :|
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Ty Choonster,

That worked like a charm. I have been looking for a solution to getting rid of the noise. I don't mind the text it was the noise.

Thank you again Choonster
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]