5.3 Chess Event (Karazhan)

(Locked)

Medivh is the last guardain of tris..something I think. also a ghost that haunts his castle were he died in Warcraft I. too lothar and etc.

Also a Medivh is a huge cheater in chess games and polly checkers and board games too. Gotta watch them ghost they hardly play by the rules.
90 Orc Death Knight
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4168

this works every time
You have to talk to your King to start the game. Then you can right click the buff so you'll stop controlling the king and you'll get a 10sec debuff where you can't control another piece. Just wait for that to go away and then click on whatever piece you want to control next
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Paladin
Dawnsnow, to move a piece, you have to be inside it, controlling it. I believe you hit 1, iirc. Whichever button has the boot icon on it. You have a green circle pop up under your mouse and click on the square you want to move to. Then you would hop out of that one and into another piece if you wanted to move a different one. (You may have to wait a few seconds for your debuff to clear before you can control another one)
Edited by Lull on 5/23/2013 2:36 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I just did it yesterday on my second try. I only lost the first time because I forgot to leave a space open to move my king.
90 Human Paladin
I beat it the other day, came down to the two kings and a couple of rooks, lol. I'm glad I got the netherspace infernal too, never need to do that again.
90 Orc Hunter
DT
Ive been clearing Kara for god knows how many weeks, and I havent once had a problem clearing the chess event. All I do is move the pawn in front of the king, then sit in the king and spam hero (the other pieces do attack on their own), and attack when something moves in range, or move to get out of fire. As all the other pieces die, the king will eventually move up. You might end up slowly killing everything but the king on the board before he moves. So no it isnt the fastest way, but I cant remember the last time I failed the event.

I've tried this same strategy several times...it is not fool proof. No strategy is. RNG means more than anything. I've even taken up to 3 people in here with me and we have still lost on occasion based purely on RNG. Other times I've cleared it by myself with ease.
90 Worgen Druid
It's not all RNG. All you have to do is get to enemy king to stand in the fire.
90 Troll Shaman
Its like soloing Razorgore first boss in BWL its COMPLETELY RANDOM if you win or lose. If the adds attack you ok easy kill, if even 1 group starts attacking the boss its a wipe they kill him done deal. Theres been weeks I've won shot him and other weeks took me 35 wipes. Now days i just do it with 1 friend to skip the whole RNG !@#$ and ezypzy

I disagree with RNG for Razorgore. It's much more a factor in Chess, for sure. I managed to win with JUST my king remaining against his king and elemental (I think that's a rook?). I think Medivh might have been drunk....he put 4 of his guys into the fire right next to my king and killed them off.

For Razorgore, it's 1 shot every time for me (minus the first time when I forgot the mechanics of the fight, oops), even with adds on the boss. If you follow the right strat, it's easy peasy. Do some exploring on the interwebs and you'll be able to keep any pet drops to yourself :) But raids are also more fun with other people...so either works ^_^
05/23/2013 01:41 PMPosted by Korbendallas
Its like soloing Razorgore first boss in BWL its COMPLETELY RANDOM if you win or lose.

Do what now?
90 Human Monk
I've used this strat a few times and always 1 shot it. Move the pawn in front of the king and queen up 1 space, move the pawns in front of the horses up one space then move the deamon's / water ele's to where the pawns in front of the horses were. Then you just have to wait for the aoe to kill off the other sides pieces and move the king/queen out of the fire pretty much.
90 Draenei Warrior
They actually did fix it.

Before, the enemy pieces would always move 2 spots, at an infinitely faster pace, and I think Medivh would cheat constantly. Maybe it was -possible-, but it was still broken as hell.

I did it 2 days ago with a buddy after the patch. The enemy pieces move only 1 spot as intended, they don't move often like they have no cooldown on movement, and the cheating was normal. We one shot it.

I know there's a factor of luck no matter what, but the mechanics were outright broken before. And now it's fixed.
90 Orc Hunter
DT
They actually did fix it.

Before, the enemy pieces would always move 2 spots, at an infinitely faster pace, and I think Medivh would cheat constantly. Maybe it was -possible-, but it was still broken as hell.

I did it 2 days ago with a buddy after the patch. The enemy pieces move only 1 spot as intended, they don't move often like they have no cooldown on movement, and the cheating was normal. We one shot it.

I know there's a factor of luck no matter what, but the mechanics were outright broken before. And now it's fixed.

I just tried a few hours ago and Medivh had a pawn in the space in front of my King's Pawn before I could even hop into the pawn after exiting the King and waiting for the debuff to go away so no I don't believe it is fixed.
Community Manager
Evening everyone. We're making additional tuning changes to the Karazhan chess event. Happy hunting. For those that are applicable, have a great long weekend.

Raids, Dungeons, and Scenarios
    Karazhan
  • Chess Event: Medivh's buff to damage on chess pieces has been reduced to 100%, down from 200%.
  • Chess Event: Damage from Medivh's fire has been reduced to 4k, down from 10k.

-Source: 5.3 Hotfix: May 24
Edited by Rygarius on 5/24/2013 11:37 PM PDT
90 Worgen Warlock
Evening everyone. We're making additioning tuning changes to the Karazhan chess event. Happy hunting. For those that are applicable, have a great long weekend.

Raids, Dungeons, and Scenarios
    Karazhan
  • Chess Event: Medivh's buff to damage on chess pieces has been reduced to 100%, down from 200%.
  • Chess Event: Damage from Medivh's fire has been reduced to 4k, down from 10k.

-Source: [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9687729/#may24"]5.3 Hotfix: May 24[/url]
As someone who didn't have a problem with chess before I'm glad about this change.

Some bad RNG won't completely screw you over on a solo run now.
80 Human Paladin
Any chance you can stick this thread temporarily so we don't get a wave of this subject come crashing down?
Community Manager
05/24/2013 06:26 PMPosted by Etch
Any chance you can stick this thread temporarily so we don't get a wave of this subject come crashing down?

It'd be overkill to sticky the thread for a Karazhan hotfix. You're welcome to link them to this post if anyone asks.
5 Night Elf Druid
ZOMG BLUEEEEEEEEEEE
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]