Best Healing Addon?

90 Tauren Druid
Hey everyone,

I am a lvl 88 Resto Druid and am wondering what the best healing addon is and why?

Currently, I do 5-man dungeons. I have never raided, but would like to try it once I reach level 90 and get some better gear. The way I heal in dungeons is by using my F-keys to target people and then heal them with my keybinds.

I have been reading the forums and see a lot of talk about 'mouseovers' and how they are helpful. Not quite sure what they are!

Thanks in advance,
Eriy
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Mouseovers all us to "hover" over a unit frame rather than hard targeting them using a binding or clicking. They're generally written as a macro however some addons integrate this function in for you.

Vuhdo does, and it's a choice of many healers.

Grid (or grid 2) + Clique will do so. Grid replaces the party/raid frames and Clique provides you with the mouseover functions.

Xperl is pretty popular as well.

Generally healers use a

"raid frame replacement" + "mouseover macro maker" + "spell tracker"

There are many options for each of those categories. I suggest trying them all out and seeing what seems most intuitive to you. Some are more customizable at the cost of user ease of access (meaning the learning curve is steeper) while others are more prepackaged.
Edited by Naérdriel on 5/21/2013 7:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Well I guess you're asking about a healing add-on? Personally I use VuhDo. You can see it here below but I am not in a group but you get the idea. On that green panel it shows all my icons, cooldowns, tanks cds etc.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/Pancakes4breakfast/WoWScrnShot_052013_235640_zps0b446332.jpg

I don't use many add-ons but one other I think is pretty cool is called Clique. It allows you to heal directly on the face-plate of your target. You simply open up your spellbook and 'click' the spell in the way which you wish to 'bind' it (by selecting the little Clique icon on the tab). For example, I simply Mouse Right-Click for rejuv and it's set. I do that for all my spells so if I want to heal Tsulong in ToeS I don't have to worry about it on another panel.

One other I use is NeedToKnow. I use it to display bar with a timer for my Harmony upkeep. Here's a LFR shot with harmony active (The pink bar in middle of screen).

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/Pancakes4breakfast/WoWScrnShot_051413_184528_zps822a7faa.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I used to play between several computers and got annoying trying to keep addon options the same.

So I went to mouse over macros and use the built it frames. You can convert the dated look of the group frames to resemble the raid frames with the group options menu. It will display ranges, dispellable items, etc. Displays incoming heals and absorbs.

Mouse over macros do as previously mentioned, keeps you from having to change targets manually. How I heal 5 mans is to keep my tank targeted at all times. Offensive spells like smite are macroed to hit the tanks target without changing targets. Healing spells are prioritized on my mouseover target, my actual target, or my targets target if my target is a baddie (pvp or pve). Works great and is simple. The downside, you gotta keep track of your mouse. More than once I've cast a shield on the wrong person because I wasn't paying attention.

Ever since Blizz made the macros saved server side, it's been a lot easier when I go from computer to computer.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Learn to heal with minimal addons, you will find yourself a better healer. Once you can heal content with nothing but your focus and ability to heal like a pro then get some to make your life easier and find ways to improve on your weakness. Personally i raid most nights without dbm, when im tired or sick i enable to make sure i don't screw something up, but past that, i rely on purely on my ob ability. I tell everyone wanting to heal the same thing, learn it right first then get addons. Then on patch days or xpac days when nothing is working, you can step up and say i can do that and feel like good about it and not be hesitant and worried.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I disagree. While having full capability to heal without addons in a worst case scenario is okay, and potentially useful, truly-- maximizing gameplay in any way you can imho, is nothing to be ashamed of or to view as inferior.

You'll ability as a healer is not based on "wow I can't read that tiny little icon for that debuff" or "is that how many percent absorb incoming?". "Is that a debuff or what? *squint*"

Those are trivial in comparison to actual skill which comes from playing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
weakauras, then whatever mod you want to use or just keep clicking
Edited by Taelaus on 5/21/2013 8:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
You'll ability as a healer is not based on "wow I can't read that tiny little icon for that debuff" or "is that how many percent absorb incoming?". "Is that a debuff or what? *squint*"

I don't squint, i know what the boss ability are ahead of time, know what im going up against, and play off my actual skill not an addon modifying things.

The reason i suggest not using addons until you know what you are doing is because to many healers rely on them, and cannot heal without them. And as for percent of absorbs incoming, when you raid with someone long enough you learn to anticipate your other healers moves and when they are going to blow cd's. So you dont need to guess. Also the blizz basic ui shows absorbs now.

Keep in mind i didnt say dont use them, i said learn to heal well without them first, then go get them to make your life easier.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
Learn to heal with minimal addons, you will find yourself a better healer. Once you can heal content with nothing but your focus and ability to heal like a pro then get some to make your life easier and find ways to improve on your weakness. Personally i raid most nights without dbm, when im tired or sick i enable to make sure i don't screw something up, but past that, i rely on purely on my ob ability. I tell everyone wanting to heal the same thing, learn it right first then get addons. Then on patch days or xpac days when nothing is working, you can step up and say i can do that and feel like good about it and not be hesitant and worried.

Link me a 'pro' healer video only using the default UI with no add ons whatsoever in a real heroic raiding environment and then I'll take your word for it.

Typically a pro can heal without add ons by targeting and casting within the GCD with default frames. But I wouldn't call that superior healing per se, That might be superior at clicking and casting in such a way but that doesn't mean it's more efficient for everyone.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Well, we can have separate opinions on the matter.

Disc Priests ESPECIALLY benefit from mouse overs due to atonement mechanics.

Mouseovers I suppose don't count as an addon. But without a mouseover (which may be too technical for some, and addons like clique allow said people to access those tools more feasibly)

I stand by the assertion that anyone who can heal with addons can heal without. It's like saying someone who does math on a different calculator with more tools is doing inferior math. They're not. They're just using a different means to an end.

That being said, OP, you don't have to use an addon. They just assist in different facets of healing.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Gees, you ppl take things out of proportion fast.

For someone learning to heal or just starting to raid, why would you tell them to load up their screen with stuff that is just going to confuse them? Let them learn a bit first. It will create a stronger healer in the long run. Not relying on addons. You have to look up fights in detail, know whats going on, pay attention and learn your weaknesses.

Again, once you know how to heal sure go use addons make your life easier. But if you cant raid current content with nothing but your skill you are doing it wrong. If you cant heal period without an addon you need to go back to basics.

Heroic raiding guilds, sure i would be using addons too, making sure i am being 100% on my game and hitting every possible increase for the group. But if your in heroic progression you know how to heal, you know what your doing. I would expect no less.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Because from day one I used healing addons.

I've learned to heal just fine. Having an addon isn't a crutch. It doesn't tell me how to heal. It may yell at me (Hey you, yes you stupid... Spirit Shell is up!) but it does not tell me anything that wasn't already somewhat accessible via the standard frames in some measure.

Addons are not going to teach you how to heal, period. That will forever be on the player. They will however, make it more apparent what's going on which can make players more aware of things they may not have been previously.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
healbot and vuhdo are very similar. healbot is a lot easier to set up but not as good at seeing debuffs and offers a lot less in terms of customization.

i haven't tried grid (grid2) + clique but have been meaning to. I have heard that it is less memory intensive as well.

People use healium, never tried it but I heard it gets pretty spacey in that if you have a lot of spells it takes a lot of visual space up. Not for me.

weakauras, elvui, you can try making mouseover macros as well too if you aren't into a lot of add-ons.

Also, just because you use an add-on doesn't mean you're a bad healer. I know healers who don't like them, and if you can get by without them whoohoo. However, they can be a big help.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
In an effort to make this more positive overall....

OP, here's a link to a great resto druid resource.

http://www.restokin.com/

They go on about healing and druid specific things, and some realllllly interesting pieces about mechanics. Good stuff. Not sure, but if you dig around there might be some resto-oriented UI info.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
For enry

Mouseovers are good idea, there are lots of place you can pick them up to try them out. Although i suggest testing them out on a friend in a random place so you can adjust them to your preferences.

There are many other types of macros that also are beneficial to assist healing that you can create to fit your play style.

As for actual addons, most guilds require use of dbm for basic raid awareness, although i will warn you not all the timers are accurate for timing healing cd's.

If you are worried about numbers skada and recount are both good, preferential really, but if you have someone tracking world of logs for the raid you don't need them running.

Some people like to use omen to watch threat tables, again purely preferential, but as a healer with the way current threat works you shouldn't have it unless something is going terribly wrong.

Most addons that aid in healing are purely based on preference, there are ones to help if you are weak with dispells, such as decursive.

Other addons such as vuhdo are raid conducive to healing, which if you set on using one most would recommend that as healbot continually has issues and recently to my knowledge is not showing dispells accurately.

All use of addons, macro, mouseovers are purely preferential. You do not need them to heal, but if you like them and they suit your play style then use them. Be sure though if you join a raid group to find out if they have required addons.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
Gees, you ppl take things out of proportion fast.

For someone learning to heal or just starting to raid, why would you tell them to load up their screen with stuff that is just going to confuse them? Let them learn a bit first. It will create a stronger healer in the long run. Not relying on addons. You have to look up fights in detail, know whats going on, pay attention and learn your weaknesses.

Again, once you know how to heal sure go use addons make your life easier. But if you cant raid current content with nothing but your skill you are doing it wrong. If you cant heal period without an addon you need to go back to basics.

Heroic raiding guilds, sure i would be using addons too, making sure i am being 100% on my game and hitting every possible increase for the group. But if your in heroic progression you know how to heal, you know what your doing. I would expect no less.

I just get this vibe when people claim that not using any addons somehow makes them a better healer by default. It doesn't work like that.

I don't have an issue with someone who heals great in whichever manner they happen to choose. With or without adddons doesn't necessarily mean they are good healers. They are good or bad regardless of this fact. That's all I was trying to say.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
They are good or bad regardless of this fact. That's all I was trying to say.

QFT.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Vuhdo rocks for sure . it looks confusing but don't be afraid to mess with the options and u will see how u can custom anything even the size of debuffs/hot.ect... and even where u want to put the debuff symbol ,top left bottom right cornar like i said anywhere on the toons raid frame.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]