Best Healing Addon?

90 Troll Shaman
Like others have said, different raid frames + mouse overs are the usual. I wouldn't suggest downloading an alternate raid frame add-on right away though, as in my mind the time it takes to set them up and customize them to your liking will most likely have less of an impact on your healing than simply playing more and trying to improve

That being said, I use the stock blizzard frames (raid style party frames checked, for anything that isn't a raid) and mouse over macros. I've messed around with grid before, but ultimately I didn't like the way it looked, or customized, compared to the stock frames
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
A little background. I've raid healed since early b.c. I use to heal with the default ui back in Kara, and then switched to healbot. I've used it ever since, I like the ability to macro all my skills to my mouse with the mouse over raid frame. The look and customization. Is really nice, and it's very stable.

On a side note. If your going to be dabbling in raiding (also useful for 5 mans and other things) be sure to get deadly boss mods. It is extremely important and useful.

Other than that, I can't think of anything necessary. Personally I'm a bit minimalist with addons, because I do enjoy to see the game as it is. I'm sure you've seen some screenshots where the player basically has their screen overloaded with addons.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Try more than one, find what you like and roll with it. I have found that I prefer Clique+Grid.

Granted I'm just a heroic/lfr running hero these days so not an expert on "what's best" .
IMHO what you like and feel comfortable with is what's best.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Druid
I've used Clique+grid, healbot, and when i first started playing I tried the method you are currently using (F keys +hotkeys).
Healbot is my pref though.
I have my party frames still on the left, and use my healbot on the lower right. I like healbot over grid/clique because it's more "comfortable" for me. Also, grid only shows small color icons for buffs/debuffs not a picture and no counter. Healbot shows the picture icon of the buff, and it has a counter next to it so you can see when your buffs are about to expire. Its also super easy to set up.

but maybe try them all and see what is easiest to set up/most fitting for your style.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Download Grid and set it so that it tracks your buffs and tells you if the target needs dispelled. Then open up the macro interface and write a macro similar to this for all your healing spells:
#showtooltip Spellname
/cast[@mouseover] Spellname
Edited by Dookookem on 6/21/2013 8:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If I had to say best, I'd say Vuhdo. It's got a lot of versatility and customization. I just don't like not knowing what's on cooldown with it, so you have to pair it with an add on like Weak Auras to really get at the information you need. But it takes a while to set it up - I'm not using it on my max characters yet. For my level 60 druid it took about 4 hours to really get it to look and behave the way I wanted it to. Then I had to really practice it to really get the muscle memory in my head of what does what.

I still use Healium with mouseover macros (and/or clique) on my max characters, because it's so pretty. That and I do like seeing the cool downs of the various thing on it where my eyes are constantly going - the raid frame. But it does take up a lot of real estate on the screen, even when you scale it down, making it pretty unviable for anything but 10 man raiding.

Grid is what I use right now on my max characters for those 25 mans and 40 man battlegrounds or something like an Nalak / Oondasta Raid. It also requires a bunch of extras to make it work well (whereas Vuhdo has a lot of that premade, you just have to set it all up). I just hate it because it's the ugliest thing I've seen despite the fact that it works. That's why I'm trying to get used to Vuhdo, so I can use that instead. Vuhdo still isn't pretty to me, but it's prettier than Grid.

A lot of people like Healbot, but I've never tried it.
Edited by Feythylan on 6/21/2013 11:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Can anyone tell me of a similar addon to Healium but doesn't take up so much space? I really like Healium but it literally takes up the screen. I don't know what mouseovers are or how to use keybinds. I guess if I could really study it I could use something with mouseovers. But what is good with 5 man's until I get up to raiding?

When I started healing I didn't even know there were healing addon's so it was a rough start but once you get the hang of things healing comes naturally without addon's. Now that I found them, I don't want to live without them lol.
Edited by Adanyia on 6/22/2013 8:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I use the standard Blizz raid frames with mouseover macros and a Razr Naga. Simple to set up and easy to use. I've tried some of the healing addons in the past but always find myself going back to my standard setup. Keeping it simple works for me.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I first did Healbot, then Grid+Clique, and then right before Firelands came out I started using Vuhdo. I've been using Vuhdo ever since.
Reply Quote
96 Tauren Druid
fortexorcist, best for keeping track of hot's and such
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Vuhdo!

The default frames are decent these days, but you will do better with a healing addon. You'll want to find a instructional video on them on the web, as they are a bit complex.
Reply Quote
im a resto shamy and i heal with the number keybord and i select my target with my mouse .
i think the best way to heal is to put your healing spell on the number 2 , 3 , 4 and 5 this is just over the w,a,s,d, for moving caracters and i use my healing rain with my mouse and i do it without add on .
im not a big raider but before the last expention ( pandaria ) i do alots of raid and i never have any trouble to heal. i know i can be better with add on but me i think there a way to cheat . i prefer playing the game how he was .
and i think the best way is to know your toon , if you know your toon you dont need add on!

that is what i think !

oh hum.. sorry for my bad anglish but im french ! hehehe
Reply Quote
89 Draenei Hunter
Gees, you ppl take things out of proportion fast.

For someone learning to heal or just starting to raid, why would you tell them to load up their screen with stuff that is just going to confuse them?

Because not every person asking about healing addons is a brand new to WoW player who would freakout with addons on screen. My account is old as dirt, my activation date was midnight day of release of Vanilla. Im not going to freak out when loading up Vuhdo.... Sometimes some of us just decide to reactivate and try another class casually...

Vuhdo turned out to be pretty neat IMO. Its exactly what I was looking for. And stop it with the "learn the boss encounter" crap, everyone knows that. Stating the obvious as if you are educating someone doesn't make you some all knowing seer. Everyone already knows that.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
im a resto shamy and i heal with the number keybord and i select my target with my mouse .
i think the best way to heal is to put your healing spell on the number 2 , 3 , 4 and 5 this is just over the w,a,s,d, for moving caracters and i use my healing rain with my mouse and i do it without add on .
im not a big raider but before the last expention ( pandaria ) i do alots of raid and i never have any trouble to heal. i know i can be better with add on but me i think there a way to cheat . i prefer playing the game how he was .
and i think the best way is to know your toon , if you know your toon you dont need add on!

that is what i think !

oh hum.. sorry for my bad anglish but im french ! hehehe

That doesn't work for every spec or playstyle. The best thing about WoW is that you can tailor your UI to your personal needs. :) I use VuhDo myself.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Can anyone tell me of a similar addon to Healium but doesn't take up so much space? I really like Healium but it literally takes up the screen. I don't know what mouseovers are or how to use keybinds. I guess if I could really study it I could use something with mouseovers. But what is good with 5 man's until I get up to raiding?

When I started healing I didn't even know there were healing addon's so it was a rough start but once you get the hang of things healing comes naturally without addon's. Now that I found them, I don't want to live without them lol.

Dunno if you ever will see this, but Healium is about the worst addon you could pick. My advice is to pick up Grid2 + Clique, Healbot, or VuhDo.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Learn to heal with minimal addons, you will find yourself a better healer. Once you can heal content with nothing but your focus and ability to heal like a pro then get some to make your life easier and find ways to improve on your weakness. Personally i raid most nights without dbm, when im tired or sick i enable to make sure i don't screw something up, but past that, i rely on purely on my ob ability. I tell everyone wanting to heal the same thing, learn it right first then get addons. Then on patch days or xpac days when nothing is working, you can step up and say i can do that and feel like good about it and not be hesitant and worried.

One can drive a car at night without headlights and it's just fine -- but why?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
BTW, grid has issues.

-Issue
If you play a lot as my friends and I do you will find Grid loading only 10man frames even when you're in a 25man. I have no idea what causes this but /reload ui works but it has driven me back to normal frames of blizzard.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
BTW, grid has issues.

-Issue
If you play a lot as my friends and I do you will find Grid loading only 10man frames even when you're in a 25man. I have no idea what causes this but /reload ui works but it has driven me back to normal frames of blizzard.

Grid != Grid2
Reply Quote
hey how is my anglish???
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]