Disc Priest Healing Fail 5.3 update

90 Blood Elf Priest
OP is bad and should feel bad.
Reply Quote
Ive been healing disc from the start and just started using attonment in mist. I loved helping the raid with extra dps and usually topped the healing meters using most spells i had available. After the nerf i might not ever use smite or penance (as damage spell) again, just holy fire to keep up evanglism. Sure it might've been a bit op but now attonment feels as useless to me as it was in cata. Make it a talet again and i bet ppl wont choose it again like they didnt in cata.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Sure it might've been a bit op but now attonment feels as useless to me as it was in cata. Make it a talet again and i bet ppl wont choose it again like they didnt in cata.

This just makes me sad.

Let me correct a few things for you:

Atonement really didn't see that big of a nerf. In fact, it worked out pretty well for us. Even though each hit is a bit weaker, we're also going to see it more accurately going to players instead of pets, etc. That's great! Of course, it also probably means Blizzard didn't weaken Atonement healing enough, but that remains to be seen.

AA/A was intended as optional in Cata. That's why some people chose not to take it. Of course, it actually was a boost to take it then—and it would be a boost to take it now.
Edited by Elethia on 5/22/2013 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ive been healing disc from the start and just started using attonment in mist. I loved helping the raid with extra dps and usually topped the healing meters using most spells i had available. After the nerf i might not ever use smite or penance (as damage spell) again, just holy fire to keep up evanglism. Sure it might've been a bit op but now attonment feels as useless to me as it was in cata. Make it a talet again and i bet ppl wont choose it again like they didnt in cata.

a 10% nerf and now you will "never use it again" your logic is straight stupid... now... for the love of all that is not overhealing... can we just let this thread die? D: This melodrama is even worse than palis upset about their mastery being nerfed....
Edited by Alifer on 5/22/2013 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Atonement really didn't see that big of a nerf

a 10% nerf and now you will "never use it again

10% to attonement, Glyph of Smite is another 10% and offensive penane 10% combine to make a much bigger than nerf than 10% less healing. And I dont think i said i will never use it again. I just think its almost useless unless there are damage modifiers to help dps/healing output from attonment.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
My main is Resto druid, so when i play my disc priest, i spam PW:S like its rejuv. I'd put money on it, that if Disc priest actually use PW:S more combined with SS on CD, that you would need very little from other healers. Atonement + Divine Aegis is like PW:S only weaker absorbs with a bit of dps and smart healing. No matter what anyone says, Atonement is and always will be a disc priests bread and butter. I still think they need to nerf Atonement/Divine Aegis, given that they have the added benefit of DPSing at the same time. It's what made Disc viable in DS... able to run 3 healers on 2 healing fights that were tight. Only other healing class that can do as much dps, is MW... But they go oom in 20 seconds trying to keep up.
Reply Quote
lol... yes, its a debilitating nerf... absolutely ruined the power to put a nice chunk of dps on a boss during low damage phases and stack up a massive healing buff...
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
10% to attonement, Glyph of Smite is another 10% and offensive penane 10% combine to make a much bigger than nerf than 10% less healing. And I dont think i said i will never use it again. I just think its almost useless unless there are damage modifiers to help dps/healing output from attonment.

I'm sorry but you are being way over dramatic about this. The changes are designed for people who used atonement healing as their primary healing spell. It was never intended to be used that way. If you were using it before as a triage spell the nerf is only about 2% of your overall healing. That's it. In fact with the ilvl upgrades back you should break even.

The spell isn't useless, you are now being forced to use it the way it was intended. That is a good thing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
reporting from raid: atonement still good. get at me haters.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Disc actually got buffed this patch with ilvl upgrades, with more ilvl's you'll go back into shield spam faster!
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
back into?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Im loving it atm.... Hope they dont nerf us more.... with are heal and dmg we do dicipline on people hehehe
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Stop complaining.. I have LOVED disc for quite some years and lately I got so bored with it. I was doing 10 man raids and it had more control than holy. When duel specs came in I always rolled with a holy and a disc spec.

But the constant smiting.. come on.. and the Spirit Shell? It's annoying. It's not gratifying unless all you are after is top of the meters.

The nerf to the heal output of smite if probably made up for by the fact that they made smart heals hit low hp targets better (supposedly). I have many times been smiting and there are people with not 100% hp yet my smite heal goes to a hunter pet as pure overhealing. :S

..anyway, OP is just a baddie feeling ever so entitled. Don't even know why I bothered to write this. lol
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

On the other hand, my Druid buddies were giddy over their changes. Happy trees make me happy.

I'm glad all of our happy can make you happy. =D
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I mean, offensive Penance went from incredibly strong to slightly less incredibly strong. So I don't see how anyone could say there was a huge nerf there. Sure, it's less healing output now when used offensively, but it's also smart, provides an Evangelism stack and does decent damage. Compared to the old Penance it's a more even trade-off, but arguably still not enough.

Holy Fire was nerfed the least, and I don't believe the nerf even applies to Solace. Even if we're just talking about Holy Fire, the spell still has it's place as an Evangelism generator. It's only 10% weaker, and this doesn't necessarily make the spell garbage.

Smite as a healing tool ended up impacted heavily, true (25% weaker). But Smite was never supposed to be about healing output. It's just been pushed back closer to it's original design goals, which was as a light healing ability that generates Evangelism and damage, to be used during periods of lower incoming damage. About the only difference here is you may end up substituting more PW:S and/or PoH casts in it's place (you arguably should have been pre-nerf because it was a weak healing tool outside of perfect conditions even then, outside of ToT bringing Penance off CD faster).

The bottom line is these "Atonement nerfs" shouldn't create a great hurdle unless you didn't know what you were doing, and didn't maximize your toolkit, to begin with. Disc is still a useful and potent spec, it's simply not as faceroll to look good with it. Even this is debatable with the supposed changes to the smart-healing AI.

The funny thing is Atonement is still a bit out of control on damage modifier fights. One can only hope they wise up and address that "feature", then see how much rage ensures from it. Likewise, nobody seems to make any mention of the BT change. Oh, I mean "bug fix".... Clearly that was a "bug" and nobody knew about it.... Or something.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Scrap me off your boot eh?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
back into?

yes back into
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]