RPing as Necromancer

13 Human Warlock
Alright, before you just completely flame me for attempting it, at least hear me out and see if this could actually be viable since I don't know all of the complete facts about some of these things.

I plan on rping as a necromancer, and I want him to be involved with the scourge in northrend. Now, hears my questions.

1) When Arthas went to Northrend, did he take anyone or did anyone go with him like an army of soldiers?

2) Did the Lich King have necromancer's that weren't undead, excluding the cult of the damned?

3) Even if someone did work with the scourge as a necromancer, if they switched sides and helped the alliance/horde would they accept them or just kill them on sight whether they changed their ways or not? Obviously I know I can't walk around in public shouting I'm a necromancer raising undead everywhere. If anything he would be secluded out in like the plague lands where he would prefer to be and belong anyway.

4) Would necromancy change appearance and lifespan? Such as, would the skin turn paler, greying hair, would lifespan shorten or lengthen ect.

5) Could a necromancer technically just raise ghouls from the ground for no reason, or would their have to be bodies around? Likewise with skeletons, would I need to carry around like a bag of bones then throw them on the ground then raise them?

Those are my basic questions that I can think of right now.

My basic plot is, if Arthas did bring people to northrend with him, is McClark used to be a priest that helped Arthas fight off the scourge, then when he became the Lich King he was simply told that his specialties instead of "healing" would be more mastering around "raising the dead" so behind closed doors, he didn't know he was doing wrong. It slowly shifted to him soon suturing body parts and creating abominations for the scourge without realizing it since he thought he was doing it for the greater good. Once he finds out that he had been helping the scourge, he flees and heads to the alliance and try's to get them to accept him and not kill him in return for information. After the battle with the scourge ended, he was sent off to the plague lands where he would be able to study undead magic there since the general public would not accept him anymore. He would practice, and experiment with necromancy then send general reports of how it functions and ways to counter act it better to alliance military.

Is this viable to role play as or should I just trash it?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
All the people Arthas brought with him to Northrend were summarily killed.

2) Did the Lich King have necromancer's that weren't undead, excluding the cult of the damned?

I severely doubt this.

4) Would necromancy change appearance and lifespan? Such as, would the skin turn paler, greying hair, would lifespan shorten or lengthen ect.

I can't answer to lifespan, but necromancy is on record as corrupting the users to somewhat resemble the subjects.

This is part of the reason a necromancer is easily identifiable: Despite being nominally and functionally alive, they have a distinctly corpse-like appearance if they've been practicing for any substantial length of time.

05/21/2013 07:51 PMPosted by Mcclark
5) Could a necromancer technically just raise ghouls from the ground for no reason, or would their have to be bodies around? Likewise with skeletons, would I need to carry around like a bag of bones then throw them on the ground then raise them?

They're necromancers, not geomancers. You cannot make a corpse from earth.

3) Even if someone did work with the scourge as a necromancer, if they switched sides and helped the alliance/horde would they accept them or just kill them on sight whether they changed their ways or not? Obviously I know I can't walk around in public shouting I'm a necromancer raising undead everywhere. If anything he would be secluded out in like the plague lands where he would prefer to be and belong anyway.

The general reaction is "Kill the necromancer." But I can't say if it's necessarily that static.

Even with any measure of acceptance at all, though, unless you renounce your practices, it's more than your life's worth to walk into the Cathedral.

If I were you, I'd trash it, because I can't take the reclusiveness necessary to pull it off. But that's a personal problem. Of more general concern is that it isn't generally accepted by players either.
Edited by Traleda on 5/21/2013 8:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
77 Blood Elf Priest
Ok first off. Necromancy is somewhat of a touchy subject. It is not something anyone wants being practiced. If you have any doubts think of the whole scene with Sylvannus. She is using Vrykul to raise the dead to be Forsaken. Even Garrosh as bad as he is , is appalled by the idea. However he does not exactly stop her, but he does leave someone to watch her.

If you want to be a necromancer I highly suggest rolling him as a death knight, at least you will actually have a tie to Arthas, you will be able to raise ghouls, and you have more of an excuse for being someone recovering from being under the Lich Kings influence. It would also fit your story a lot closer.

Warlocks are not necromancers. They steal souls, the use fire magic and corruption and demons, but they do not exactly raise the dead.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
1) When Arthas went to Northrend, did he take anyone or did anyone go with him like an army of soldiers?

During the time of the Plague? Yes - he brought a small Alliance force and mercenaries with him to Northrend.

Probably not - most of the higher up necromancers were undead, but not liches. The Cult would primarily have living necromancers.

They wouldn't, no.

Sylvanas would take you in.

Acherus would take you in.

But that's about it.

You would slowly become undead, yes.

Yes. The most you can conjure out of air would be spirits.

Now to basically give my 2c.

Ditch the Scourge angle. You can be a necromancer without joining the Scourge or agreeing with them. Warlocks loyal to the Alliance and Horde use a 'fight fire with fire' mentality. You could have been a mage in Lordaeron or Dalaran during the Third War, fled, and took up necromancy to better counter the threat of the enemy necromancers and undead.

Having someone in the Alliance that could unbind the souls of undead and disable enemy forces would be immensely useful.

My character here has an extremely complicated story but suffice to say he is also a necromancer, though he rarely uses it and almost never to conjure up undead preferring the applications of its spells in battle more than summoning and minion-managing.

RPing as a necromancer is viable as long as you have something to fall back on outside of it. Some way to explain your appearance or something. It doesn't have to be another type of magic, but you need a believable story if someone asks why you look so pale 'I spend too much time in doors reading books!' or asks why you have such strong cologne on 'I accidentally splash too much on each morning after shaving, bad habit'..

Stuff like that. You're gonna get pale and stink as a necromancer, need ways to cover your tracks if you try to be sociable.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
if Arthas did bring people to northrend with him, is McClark used to be a priest that helped Arthas fight off the scourge, then when he became the Lich King he was simply told that his specialties instead of "healing" would be more mastering around "raising the dead" so behind closed doors, he didn't know he was doing wrong.

It's an interesting thought, but I think there's quite a few events where Arthas showed how evil he was blatantly which would need to be explained away for your priest to be entirely ignorant. He would probably need to be unconscious for a lot of things... and maybe blind after that. And it would still be strange since you'd think a priest would supernaturally sense all the evil around him, in addition to Arthas' voice reverberating with evil.

After the battle with the scourge ended, he was sent off to the plague lands where he would be able to study undead magic there since the general public would not accept him anymore. He would practice, and experiment with necromancy then send general reports of how it functions and ways to counter act it better to alliance military.

This is also interesting, but the Alliance would have many moral objections even to allowing necromancy for experimentation and the greater good. If you take the advice of some other posters, already being a death knight would help justify it. You'd then want the reports to go to a specific general, rather than the highest commander and the Alliance military as a whole... or else I'd say the reports should be written as if they were from a distant observer of undead, rather than someone who is intentionally raising them himself.

Is this viable to role play as or should I just trash it?

I'd say heavily rework the details of the back story so you can still accomplish what you want while acknowledging the points of other posters and keeping it fitting to the lore. Also expect this to be a challenging concept to pull off. But if you aren't afraid of or discouraged by those things, I think you should give it a try.
Reply Quote
40 Worgen Rogue
I've RPed a Cult of The Damned necromancer for the majority of WotLK. It was fun, and I had some of the best RP ever in my time playing this game. With that being said, don't do it. Sure, as I said I had fun, but because that expansion pack was so long ago there are maybe one or two other players out there willing to continue to RP cultist or necromancers of the scourge. It's fun in numbers, and you missed the boat two expansions ago. Which is unfortunate, because I miss it so. :(

If you decide to still go through with it.. I suggest playing a cult of the damned necromancer. With their orbs of illusion you might be able to venture into towns to interact with others, but don't go about flaunting it OR putting it in your TRP/MRP. The point of the cult is to blend in with normal society. So blend away.

BUT AGAIN! I highly recommend against it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
1) Yes, and they all died.

2) No, they were all Cult of the Damned.

3) The only to contrive this is if he is affiliated with the Ebon Blade.

It should be noted that they disapprove of Sylvanas' use of Necromancy. Although the Alliance has condoned (to some degree) the use of Warlocks and Demons in War, re-animating the dead remains something else entirely.

4) This is not explicitly stated anywhere. (RPG no longer counts)

However, the in-game models of Necromancers/Cultist appear paler and greyer than others. This is the same texture set used for many Death Knight NPCs. Exceptions exist.

5) They cannot make an undead of nothing.

However, Lady Alistra (the Death Knight Unholy Trainer) summons a variety of undead creations from the Shadow Realm. This is the same process by which Acherus Death Chargers are called. In that case, live horses were transported into the Shadow Realm to be killed and reanimated there. In other cases, an undead could be transported there, and left until summoned.

This is not like Dreadlords and the Twisting Nether. A destroyed undead will not reform in the Shadow Realm.

My basic plot is ...

If he was a priest accompanying Arthas to Northrend, he would have been killed. Only the Cult was spared. It would be difficult for him to not know that he was helping the scourge. Instead, you might have fun thinking about how he reconciled that as being for the greater good, and then what made him change his mind.

As mentioned, direct affiliation with the Alliance is very unlikely. The Ebon Blade is a better option.

05/21/2013 09:33 PMPosted by Iraelius
Ditch the Scourge angle. You can be a necromancer without joining the Scourge or agreeing with them. Warlocks loyal to the Alliance and Horde use a 'fight fire with fire' mentality.

Also worth some thought. However like Warlocks used to be, this wouldn't be done with Alliance approval.
Edited by Aurric on 5/22/2013 1:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
13 Human Warlock
I wasn't exactly expecting to use the character in the game, more of forum play >_>

It's an interesting thought, but I think there's quite a few events where Arthas showed how evil he was blatantly which would need to be explained away for your priest to be entirely ignorant. He would probably need to be unconscious for a lot of things... and maybe blind after that. And it would still be strange since you'd think a priest would supernaturally sense all the evil around him, in addition to Arthas' voice reverberating with evil.

I wouldn't expect him to be meeting Arthas on a daily basis. I'm pretty sure a lot of the people who weren't even high ranked would even be able to see him, just pawns sitting there doing their job.

Sylvanas would take you in.

Acherus would take you in.

I do remember in the quest line for the forsaken, there was a gnome I believe that served Sylvanas even though he was still living?

If you want to be a necromancer I highly suggest rolling him as a death knight, at least you will actually have a tie to Arthas, you will be able to raise ghouls, and you have more of an excuse for being someone recovering from being under the Lich Kings influence. It would also fit your story a lot closer.

Doing this would mean that I would have to be a strong hero, as almost all the DK are. Along with the fact practically all DK are necromancers regardless. Also I didn't really plan on rping a necromancer In-game.

I guess one of the hardest parts of making a necromancer is where, how, and why did he obtain the powers which is a part I'm a bit stuck at.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
I do remember in the quest line for the forsaken, there was a gnome I believe that served Sylvanas even though he was still living?

Necromancers are, quite honestly, the lifeblood and real priests of the Forsaken. The undead, though able to be healed by the Light, would respond better to necromancy being used to mend them. Not to mention necromancers could, theoretically, make undead faster, stronger and more resilient with their magics (think similar to priest buffs).

So Sylvanas would be more than willing to take in even willing living necromancers to aid the Forsaken. Plus it generally means she'll have back-ups should she lose the rest of her Val'kyr.

I guess one of the hardest parts of making a necromancer is where, how, and why did he obtain the powers which is a part I'm a bit stuck at.

Forbidden books is always the best route.
Reply Quote
13 Human Warlock
Alright, I'm gonna scrap the idea with Arthas since I would prefer that Mcclark be a living, not undead necromancer.

Basic plot Part 2:

As a child, is born into a family of priests. As he grew older, he was able to explore the library more often. One day, he decided that he could slip into the "Off limits" section to sneak a peak at what the mages were hiding in their archives. So on, he finds a grimoire, more as known as the book of the dead. The longer he researches its secrets the more he is influenced by joining the cult of the damned, and practicing necromancy in secret behind the publics back. When the incident of Northrend happened he saw the opportunity and seeked out the cult of the damned, joining their ranks. Once the fall of the Lich King had occurred he wanted no part in the group, so he branched off to the forsaken. Sylvanas accepted him in open arms as long as he pledged his allegiance to the banshee queen, never to return to the alliance, whether they would want him back or not. From then on he practiced the dark magic under the watchful eyes of the forsaken, making sure he performed no treachery and to learn from his progress.

^ Just a basic run down, I will add more detail once the final product, if it ever will be, becomes complete.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I wouldn't expect him to be meeting Arthas on a daily basis. I'm pretty sure a lot of the people who weren't even high ranked would even be able to see him, just pawns sitting there doing their job.

This isn't terribly important at all now that you changed the concept, but just to clarify, the main event I had in mind involved Arthas using Frostmourne to turn upon his own men. This would have been a very clear indicator early on of Arthas being evil, which would make a story with a character ignorant of that tricky to pull off.

---

As for your current concept, it seems to a better version of what you wanted. I could see a book discussing necromancy or at least topics related being kept for a number of reasons (knowing the enemy, keeping it from others who would abuse it, or completing a prized collection, to name a few).

There are three leper Gnomes who have joined the Forsaken: Ganoosh in the Undercity, Apprentice Crispin in Tirisfal Glades, and Jennings in the Dragonblight.

So they are living, yes, but their condition is severe enough for Apothecary Jerrod to call Crispin "plagued." I'd either have your character's physical condition be similarly severe, or have him very reluctantly accepted into the Forsaken with continually questioned loyalty... if not both of those.
Edited by Gnarlock on 5/22/2013 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/22/2013 02:27 PMPosted by Mcclark
Basic plot Part 2:

Books like those would be sealed with enchantments, and not kept in public libraries. The Kirin Tor impounded all research into Dark Magic that it came across, and stored them in vaults in Dalaran. A child of priests would not have access to those areas.

The only books they didn't impound were those they couldn't find, and those were the ones being written by Kel'Thuzad (after his return from Northrend), Janice Barov, and their disciples in Scholomance; the underground School for Necromancy, so to speak.

Kel'Thuzad was a charismatic individual, actively but carefully recruiting for his death Cult in Lordaeron. Within three years, he'd amassed a sizeable following. The unrest in Lordaeron made it rather easy to shake people's faith in the Church, and convince them of the validity of darker powers.

This was of course years before the Plague and the Scourge.

McClark may have joined them for any number of reasons.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
05/22/2013 03:27 PMPosted by Aurric
Books like those would be sealed with enchantments, and not kept in public libraries.

I might have misinterpreted the backstory-- my impression was that the family of priests had their own personal library.

05/22/2013 03:27 PMPosted by Aurric
Kel'Thuzad was a charismatic individual, actively but carefully recruiting for his death Cult in Lordaeron.

This would definitely be a good origin for a necromancer character.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I might have misinterpreted the backstory-- my impression was that the family of priests had their own personal library.

Or I might have misinterpreted; but if so, I'd express some incredulity that priests had books on Necromancy in their parlor, with enough written to self-teach.

Dark Magic was a frontier field to humans at that point, and Kel'thuzad as it's pioneer barely managed to reanimate rats before he treated with the Lich King. Bishop Natalie Sevine wrote extensively just on the fact that such magic existed, trying to reconcile it with the Light.

That's the sort of stuff Dalaran was confiscating. Actual Necromancy was unheard of; a one time feat of Gul'dan they hoped lost with his death.
Reply Quote
13 Human Warlock
Alright, didn't exactly know about Kel'Thuzad. I haven't been to WoW in like 2 years, lore about things are fuzzy to me. I do faintly remember him, before reading the wiki.

Basic Plot 3:

BACK to where he lived in Lordaeron. Same deal raised by priests, though he wasn't intently focused on healing magic. Moreover he wanted to learn the ways of reviving things to life rather than healing them. Often he would kill small animals and attempt to bring them back to life though it usually ended in failure. They either got up, walked around then suddenly dropped dead again, exploded because of the magic being pulsed through their body, or just ends in a major dud. The older he became the more he wanted to obtain the power of raising the dead, his skills of raising them with holy magic increasing. From studying books he had learned of necromancy, the magic of the undeath. A few weeks after seeing the topic, a voice had reached into his mind. Speaking words of greater power, powerful dark magic. The magic not of demons, but of necromantic arts. From this news he left Lordaeron and seeked out the cult of the damned, joining their ranks and abandoning the holy light for necromancy. He stayed with the cult all the way through the war waging in Northrend of the Alliance and Horde versus the Unending ranks of the undead. When the Lich King had fallen, all hope in the cult for McClark was gone. He knew the alliance would never take him, for we was not only a necromancer but worked with the cult of the damned. The Ebon Blade would not seem to take him because he did it through his own free will, not forced. All he could do is turn to Sylvanas the Banshee Queen. No matter what your past was, it seemed she would welcome any person that worked with the powers of undeath. He swore his allegiance to the queen, and he did not object for guards to watch over him for treachery. After all he still was human, no matter how ghoulish he looked.

Alright I believe I got this story down now.
Edited by Mcclark on 5/22/2013 7:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
The whole thing is, Death Knights summon undead out of thin air........ Or, maybe I'm wrong... Maybe their from the Shadow Realm...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
The whole thing is, Death Knights summon undead out of thin air........ Or, maybe I'm wrong... Maybe their from the Shadow Realm...

This is the thing. Sometimes game mechanics. by necessity, must take the place of logic. Death Knights would be an infuriatingly annoying class to play if they had to run out to a graveyard every time their minion died to spawn a new one. Or if they needed an actual body around them to raise up an undead minion, or whatever.

In this case them conjuring a ghoul out of thin air isn't so much truth. Every last inch of Azeroth is not home to a mouldering cadaver waiting to be exhumed and bent to the will of a necromancer.
Reply Quote
13 Human Warlock
The way I would do it I guess is just carry around a large bag, just filled with bones to make skeletons when I'm not in an area where corpses would be accessible.

Or I could make small abominations out of animal remains, just slaughter animals then use their carcasses to throw something together if worst came to worst.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]