Need a Healing PVP Mentor - Healing Experts

90 Tauren Priest
Hello,

I love healing. I main Medic in TF2 and I have an 85 Priest that I haven't touched in a while. Because I got bored with Dungeons. What I really need is some PVP, but I've always done terribly when I played WoW PVP, so I never gave it much of a shot. But I'm starting a new Healing Monk, and I'd like to PVP more as I'm leveling this character, so that hopefully I'll have a better understanding of PVP by the time I hit 90.

What I'd really like is someone who loves to heal like I do, but has plenty of experience in PVP Healing, to take a bit of time to help out a fellow healer. I'd be happy to compensate for the assistance in TF2 items/metal or WoW Gold.

Add me on Steam if you'd like, or just discuss the idea here.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/baganga
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
What do you want to know? I am by no means an expert but I know how to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
I'd like tips on PVPing through the levels. I assume BGs start off pretty simple to understand at level 15, with so few skills available to the classes. From that starting point, my job as healer would be relatively simple, since I'll only have one or two heals as Monk at that level. But what are my major threats? What is each class capable of (at this early stage, and at later stages. And eventually, end game). I'd like to know how to counter some of the most common attacks. For instance, I know that the more stun-breaks you have, the better you'll fare against Rogues, right? Things like that. How to counter mages. What to expect from mages. Etc.

To give an example, if I were helping out a fellow TF2 Medic, I could walk him through the basics, like the pros and cons of each Medigun, and later get into really advanced stuff, like riding enemy soldier's rocket blasts to escape eminent death, or how to counter Scouts trying to flank and make you drop uber.

Just looking for someone who knows what they're doing as healer in PVP, and would like to make a Healer friend to discuss all facets of Healing in PVP :]
Edited by Boogaheels on 5/24/2013 6:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
The biggest problem with trying to give you that sort of information, is that in WoW, PvP is completely and utterly unbalanced at lower levels. In addition, it is pretty fast to level, so what holds true for level 15 changes dramatically at level 39, and so on. For most people, there are really two different ways to experience PvP before level 90: "twinking" out a character (holding them at the top of a low bracket, and throwing the best possible gear at them), or just powering through to end game. Sad, but true.

However, in general, as a monk, your biggest strength is your mobility and your major CDs. You really won't have many tools to shut down other classes, but you will be able to get away from them more easily. Another thing to remember is your racials. What race is your monk? If it is a panda, Quaking Palm Thingy is a very strong interrupt/stun. I don't heal on a monk, and can't give you specific tips on which tool to use and when, but if you want some general ideas about healing in PvP, don't hesitate to ask.

Darn, I really need to finish that PvP healing guide I started 2 weeks ago...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
You definitely should finish that guide! I would love to read it.

If lower level PVP is as unbalanced as you suggest, how difficult would it be for me to jump in with my 85 Priest? I was afraid of learning WoW PVP this way because I know that end-game PVP can hang a lot on the gear, and I feel that I'll be tremendously underpowered in that respect, making for a much more difficult learning experience. Not to mention it has been a very long time since I last played my Priest, I don't remember him very well at all.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Heh, actually, random BGs are a great learning environment. In a random, people are a lot less picky about your skills, as any healing is good healing for your average random PvPer. One nice change in the latest patch is that PvP has become far less gear-dependent at higher levels. Every toon now has base Resilience (a reduction in the amount of damage taken from other players), so not having PvP gear no longer means getting killed in the space of 0.2 seconds. PvP gear is still important, in that it does have PvP power (boost to healing and damage done in PvP areas), and the set bonuses are designed to improve your PvP-specific skills. I would encourage you to jump in and try it!

I will try to login/logout in my PvP gear/spec, so you can see what I mean about stats and set bonuses. My gemming and reforging is currently odd, as they did make major changes this week, and I need to figure out what stats I want to shoot for now.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
I see.

I know there are a few options and that they are mostly personal preference, but what would you recommend for a BG hud? I think I was using Vuhdu before, as it was highly recommended. What do you suggest I do in BGs? Should I find a tank and try to stick with him? Should I stay near groups of allies, or outside of them to avoid AOEs?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Pretty much any of the add-ons will work fine. Having Tidy Plates is nice, as it makes it easier to spot friends and foes, but Vuhdo, Grid, Healbot, any of the major ones work just fine. Personally, I use the standard raid frames provided by the software with hand-written mouseovers and macros, as druid healing is pretty straightforward, all I really have to track is my HoTs and dispellable debuffs. Priests are a little more complex, due to their more interesting dispells and the fact that tracking Weakened Soul is mandatory.

In BGs, when you are just learning, it is best to find a medium sized group and hang with them. Tanking will vary depending on the BG, and some tanks like to go off and find trouble, rather than focus on the "real" objectives. Alternatively, find a geared player (the more Tyrannical pieces they have, the more they have been PvPing recently) and stick with them. I prefer to follow a DPS if I am in a completely random group, than a tank.

Different BGs have different objectives, so it is worth looking over summaries of them before jumping in. The summaries on the WoW website are decent, but the summaries on Icy Veins are better. Arena Junkies is the grand-daddy website for all things PvP in WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Do druids have to shapeshift to heal?

The information has been really helpful. Later, I'm going to reorganize my Priest and give it a shot. Do you use Steam? Or could I add you as a friend on WoW?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
My btag is Hoku#1399. Druids do not have to shapeshift to heal, although one of our big healing CDs is a shapeshift (Incarnation, i.e. Tree of Life). However, good druids will shapeshift in PvP for other reasons, such as clearing slows or snares, or to use CCs such as Mighty Bash. I also use the Displacer Beast talent, which puts me in cat form automatically. I like to use cat form for Dash and Stampeding Roar for extra mobility, or to clear a whole party of us from slows and snares.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Hm. I've avoided rolling a Druid because I don't like the idea of shapeshifting (I really like gear appearances :x) but if you can heal without shapeshifting, I may consider that. Sounds like a lot of fun for PVP too.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The only time you really shapeshift as a druid healer is when you have to get away (via displacer beast which places you in cat form or travel form to get away quickly as well), when you pop incarnation or go tree, or when you shapeshift to avoid getting polymorphed. But those are some of the reason that I love to heal on a druid :3

Priests are fun too! I started recently doing arena on my disc priest and it's a completely different strat than my druid, but in a good way.

Pipi, finish the guide <3
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yea you heal in caster form as a druid, or tree, but only for 20 seconds out of every 2 minutes. Rdruid super fun in PVP, but here would be a really simple way to think about it:

Resto Shaman PVP: Use Wind Shear and Grounding Totem to interrupt your enemies while you keep earth shield and riptide up on a target (two Heal-over-Time spells, basically) and choose between healing wave and healing surge to deal with damage. Your special tricks are Nature's Swiftness, (actually called Ancestral Swiftness on Shaman but no one says that, ever....) combined with Greater Healing Wave for a really big emergency heal (probably the biggest on demand heal of any healer in PVP.) Healing Tide totem for some big aoe healing, and Tremor Totem to get yourself out of a fear without using your trinket. Also Ascendance which is another big aoe healing tool. Resto Shaman's provide very high, on demand HPS, (provided you can get a cast off,) and their ability to interupt enemies at range on a VERY short cooldown, (among other things,) makes them probably the most in demand pvp healing class most of the time. You have a CC called hex which has a medium cooldown and lasts 8 seconds. You have an "Aura Mastery' effect with the 4-piece pvp bonus. Shammies have to fake cast!

Resto Druid PVP: Spread HoTs on your teammates and use full HoTs+Regrowth Spam to create some pretty big HPS. One of your HoTs, (Rejuvenation,) allows you to cast a sizeable instant heal which is on a relatively short cooldown, (swiftmend.) Your special tricks include Tree Form, which makes regrowth an instant cast and allows you to spread Lifebloom on multiple targets, (Lifebloom is the bread and butter HoT,) and you have cyclone, which is a spammable CC that enemy players can only escape by trinketing. Resto Druids don't really have as much on-demand HPS as Shammies, but they can preform very well if you are able to establish HoTs right before the damage hits. You'd have the most spammable CC of any of the healing classes, and some pretty cool talent choices to beat. You'll be sort of squishy, but will have a multitude of relatively short cooldown defensive abilities to rotate in order to live. Resto Druids run away in travel form!

Disc Priest PVP: Stack Spirit Shell on people by spamming flash heals on them in anticipation of big damage, or in reaction to it. Spirit Shell is a 1 minute cooldown that last for 15 seconds, which causes the healing done to be converted to a shield. Otherwise, you spam Power Word: Shield on people, which is another absorb, (obviously,) and use Penance on a 10 second cooldown, along with a HoT called renew, (its weak,) and some other heals like Flash Heal, Greater Heal, Heal, etc. You have what is called an "Aura Mastery" which is an ability that makes you immune to silences, which you can use when you feel you might get interrupted on cast but you need to get heals off or your friends will die. You have a medium cooldown AOE fear that requires you to be pretty close to the target. You also have Life-Grip and Life-Swap to quickly reposition your teammates or Swap Health with them if they or you are about to die. Disc Priests are going to fear you!

Holy Pally PVP: Use abilities to generate Holy Power and other abilities to spend it. Use a bunch of instant cast ablities and casted heals that heal for a bunch. Put shields on people by healing them, (a percentage of the healing done just becomes a shield, its the mastery,) use Beacon of light to heal one target but have some healing be spread to nearby friendlies. Use Hammer of Justice on a 30-45 second cooldown, (I think?) depending on some talent that changes the cooldown. Its a 6 second stun. Your other CC is blinding light, which also has a cooldown. Cast Repentance for an 8 second CC as well. Choose between a few different healing cooldowns for different situations, including "Devotion Aura" which now actually acts as a trinket for silences. (Notice that Resto Druids are the only class without an Aura Mastery effect.) Use Divine Shield to avoid/break CC on yourself. Die really fast after you've used this ability and your trinket. Holy Pallies die after bubble!

Monk PVP: Roll around a bunch and generate chi with certain abilties and spend it with others. Use Revival as an emergency heal, diffuse magic is nice, paralyze is the CC, Nimble Brew is OP... Monks are new and I haven't rolled one yet!
Edited by Anoru on 5/24/2013 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]