Holy paladin nerfs to mastery and T14 bonus -

100 Human Paladin
We have cleared up to Megaera where we have two kills, and both were near wipes. On our first kill two survived, and last night on our second kill our rogue was the last man standing. Yup, hardly farm status.

Now we are working on Ji’kun, and for our little rag tag posse of raiders, every little bit counts. So even a personal nerf to me of 5-10% is felt raid wide.

Obviously, we’re a casual group, but we want to progress, and we are doing it, albeit slowly. Sure, you can say “well, you may have been nerfed, but “X” class was buffed” so adapt and you’ll be fine.

Here’s what I did to try to adapt. I replaced my T14 496 shoulders/gloves/legs with 522 pieces with the gloves being T15. I replaced my T14 496 helm, with a RF 502 helm gemmed with the legendary meta. I upgraded my 502 ring with the valor 522 ring. Yes, that is 5 “upgrades”. My result, based upon comparing logs, was a 5-10% lower HPS.

I know what the masses will say. Big deal. Holy pallies were OP. The T14 bonus was OP. IM was OP. I get it. But for us, my raid isn’t OP. Then the herd mentality will set in. Kick the players that aren’t doing optimal performance. I like the folks I am raiding with. And let me tell you, recruiting players on my server is awful.

So, what’s my point? I really love this game! But every time my job gets harder, I die a little inside. Every time one of my posse goes down, I take it personally. Every time we have to run back into the dungeon is the walk of shame. Our raid group keeps on going, we try to keep a good attitude, but I worry that sooner or later my fellow raiders will say “this just isn’t fun anymore”.

I don’t have a good solution to my problem. I guess the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. (Yea, I saw Star Trek over the weekend and loved it!) My “selfish” solution is rather than nerf a class, buff the other classes so we are on a level playing field.

PS - Our WoL link, if interested:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/213117/
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The issue with continuing to buff the other healers is they then trivialized he content more. They needed to bring the mastery down and allow for other play styles. Now disc will come down after us. They probably think the other healers are in the right spot, epescially now since shaman and Druid healing isn't trivialized by no one ever taking damage.
Reply Quote
Martyr much?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
So, what’s my point? I really love this game! But every time my job gets harder, I die a little inside. Every time one of my posse goes down, I take it personally. Every time we have to run back into the dungeon is the walk of shame. Our raid group keeps on going, we try to keep a good attitude, but I worry that sooner or later my fellow raiders will say “this just isn’t fun anymore”.

Each person is different. I am a bit undergeared and two heal a lot with a mistweaver. The nerf wasn't all that bad and if anything it should have been nerfed more and throughput raised to compensate. Getting 30% of your healing through a passive shield is goofy for sure.

I am personally on the opposite side of thinking from you. Every time the game gets harder i enjoy it even more. Every time i run back i know there was something that i could have done that might have changed the outcome and if i adapt and try something different this next run, then maybe we'll get it this time.

There is no shame in wiping and running back. If you weren't wiping you'd clear all the content right away and what fun is that? If someone is mad about wiping then raiding isn't for them.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I am personally on the opposite side of thinking from you. Every time the game gets harder i enjoy it even more. Every time i run back i know there was something that i could have done that might have changed the outcome and if i adapt and try something different this next run, then maybe we'll get it this time.

There is no shame in wiping and running back. If you weren't wiping you'd clear all the content right away and what fun is that? If someone is mad about wiping then raiding isn't for them.

Could not have said it better.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You cannot buff out throughout. The mastery will just scale with that instead. The issue is the content design is suited for keeping people at 80% or more. Since all damage is splash. Our mastery goes on as 100% healing. The rest if the healers drop a raid Cooldown. The afk till the next time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This probably won't help you feel better now, but give it time, even just a week or two. You will adapt to what you need to do, and things will be ok. Your fellow healers may need to step it up a bit, if they're used to riding on your back (no offense intended, just a statement of fact).

Part of the fun of raiding is the challenge, at whatever level is "progression". Overcoming small challenges like a nerf, and learning your class well can bring you guys together. Playing a balanced game isn't one healer being able to carry 9 other people. When you succeed, it's more rewarding if everyone contributes as much as possible.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Part of the fun of raiding is the challenge, at whatever level is "progression". Overcoming small challenges like a nerf, and learning your class well can bring you guys together. Playing a balanced game isn't one healer being able to carry 9 other people. When you succeed, it's more rewarding if everyone contributes as much as possible.

I have to agree with this. Back in t14, my co-healer didn't even want to be raiding, but refused to quit the team and would purposefully oom less than a minute into every fight forcing me to pick up his slack. This wasn't fun for me, wasn't fun for the group that kept wiping because I couldn't solo heal Elegon, and he wasn't having fun because he didn't even want to be there.

More recently, I got into my current guild and we've all been contributing. With the recent disc nerf, I'm going to have to help pick up some of that slack, but it'll be fine because I know my co-healer is also working hard to make up for his being nerfed.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
i'm just basing this off the megaera fight but perhaps you could/should urge your healers to do more research or something. correct me if i'm wrong, but from my experience shamans and druids should really destroy that fight.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
My shaman is level 508ilvl and I play her for fun yet I can hit 100k hps easy on that fight.

It's just about understanding it and managing your cds. Especially on normal.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
i'm just basing this off the megaera fight but perhaps you could/should urge your healers to do more research or something. correct me if i'm wrong, but from my experience shamans and druids should really destroy that fight.

Mhmm, my 495ish shaman ran it with a pug and ended around 100k hps.

This toon heals it with a H pally and disc priest so I usually dont see that much on her, I just twiddle my thumbs until the last couple of heads.

EDIT: Extra a word.
Edited by Emmia on 5/23/2013 11:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
36 Human Warlock
The mastery nerf was hardly noticable for me. The T14 nerf though was a bit playstyle altering and slowed paladins down. It is really slow and not enjoyable now.

I'm not saying paladins are weak now, just commenting on the changes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]