Frinkls. Pls no DDoS

90 Human Paladin
Frinkls ddos'd me yesterday along with a bunch of <Warsong Failathon> members. upon my death he then carried on with /emotes. Such a childish move if you asked me.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
What is DDOS?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

Read it but do not get involved in it. It is pretty much sending four lanes of cars through a two lane tunnel except with packets and the routersphere where the internets live.

On a more serious note though;

Speaking as ex-special investigations from a gaming community; majority of "DDOSer's" are kids who toss down $12 from Mommy's credit card to press a magic button that gets them what they want.

Until they get caught and in some cases it is better law enforcement catches them than certain people on the internet from what I have seen- good many horror stories there.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
05/22/2013 02:28 AMPosted by Recyclemanx
Lol I can't even begin to entertain the idea that Frinkls would do such a thing tbh :\

Some would never think Return would buy a pilot, but it happens.

You seems obsessed with the Corporation and/or Return lately.

Stop being such a nut hugger...

P.S.
Have a nice day!!!!
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
Just wanted to post, this thread made me happy today :) Not because of the un-founded allegations, but because of the response. You guys are awesome :D
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
05/22/2013 10:02 AMPosted by Orium
What is DDOS?

Read it but do not get involved in it. It is pretty much sending four lanes of cars through a two lane tunnel except with packets and the routersphere where the internets live.

Speaking as ex-special investigations from a gaming community; majority of "DDOSer's" are kids who toss down $12 from Mommy's credit card to press a magic button that gets them what they want.

Until they get caught and in some cases it is better law enforcement catches them than certain people on the internet from what I have seen- good many horror stories there.

^ This.

To make an actually DDOS yourself (no script kiddies), you pretty much have to be an virus coder and have access to some serious networking equipment/knowledge to pull off such a thing.

A DDOS isn't done off 1 computer, we're talking about hundreds/thousands of them...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
05/22/2013 10:10 AMPosted by Inflikted

^ This.

To make an actually DDOS yourself (no script kiddies), you pretty much have to be an virus coder and have access to some serious networking equipment/knowledge to pull off such a thing.

A DDOS isn't done off 1 computer, we're talking about hundreds/thousands of them...

[

<tinFoil_hat>WSB requires more than one guild for membership in order to promote DDOS attacks on their enemies.</tinFoil_hat>

]
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
^ This.

"but guise peeple do not hav 1000 computer"
WRONG!

Compromised computers make up a "Botnet". Your computer could be part of one right now just by opening that E-mail attachment.

A lot of times they go largely unseen until it is too late. Sure people know a virus is mass infecting computers at an insane rate but we do not know why until an attack happens.

EDIT: An interesting read: http://www.redorbit.com/news/business/1897490/hacker_arrested_for_famous_botnet_virus/
Edited by Orium on 5/22/2013 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
93 Worgen Druid
{

First, it is relatively difficult to DDOS unless you are using Skype and by relatively I mean extremely difficult. Second, if you are really pushing rank and are that worried about DDOSing get a proxy.

}
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
^ This.

WRONG!

Compromised computers make up a "Botnet". Your computer could be part of one right now just by opening that E-mail attachment.

A lot of times they go largely unseen until it is too late. Sure people know a virus is mass infecting computers at an insane rate but we do not know why until an attack happens.

EDIT: An interesting read: http://www.redorbit.com/news/business/1897490/hacker_arrested_for_famous_botnet_virus/

That was more or less a simple explanation of it.

I'm bored at work so I'll get into some detail.

Yes there are the exceptional examples of DDOS'ers, but they're rarely home users (most wouldn't even know how to access one), the "pros" to do it for financial gains or political ones and these are the ones that knock sh*t out.

This day and age, you would need a army of zombies (bnet) to successfully pull of a DDOS. Most ISP would have that type of traffic killed on their backend after a few seconds of detecting a flood, which would make it a moot point to call it a DDOS attack. (Think about the Blizzard network)

If someone is flooding with a single or even a dozen IPs, the impact would be so minimal it wouldn't show up. To make a DDOS attack work, you need to overwhelm the switches and routers, which takes a large amount of resources to pull it off, and which all have to be "controlled" by some sort of group/person. (DDOS attacks are not random as per se)

But really, I'm getting into the technical aspect of this argument (which would go over the head of most ppl here, no offence).

I was just keeping it simple to reflect that it's highly doubtful someone would go through all this trouble to DDOS a gamer.

Possible? Yes
Reality? Probably not

Now where's my coffee....
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
opps... lol

bnet>botnet
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Just wanted to post, this thread made me happy today :) Not because of the un-founded allegations, but because of the response. You guys are awesome :D

It's because i don't think of you as Undead Drone #4471 of WSB. I will always remember that beneath the Frinkls that submitted his will to the Hivemind, there still lives a tiny but fierce Gnome Warlock of <Bold As Lions> that I gladly fought beside.
Reply Quote
93 Worgen Druid

WRONG!

That was more or less a simple explanation of it.

I'm bored at work so I'll get into some detail.

Yes there are the exceptional examples of DDOS'ers, but they're rarely home users (most wouldn't even know how to access one), the "pros" to do it for financial gains or political ones and these are the ones that knock sh*t out.

This day and age, you would need a army of zombies (bnet) to successfully pull of a DDOS. Most ISP would have that type of traffic killed on their backend after a few seconds of detecting a flood, which would make it a moot point to call it a DDOS attack. (Think about the Blizzard network)

If someone is flooding with a single or even a dozen IPs, the impact would be so minimal it wouldn't show up. To make a DDOS attack work, you need to overwhelm the switches and routers, which takes a large amount of resources to pull it off, and which all have to be "controlled" by some sort of group/person. (DDOS attacks are not random as per se)

But really, I'm getting into the technical aspect of this argument (which would go over the head of most ppl here, no offence).

I was just keeping it simple to reflect that it's highly doubtful someone would go through all this trouble to DDOS a gamer.

Possible? Yes
Reality? Probably not

Now where's my coffee....

{

I am asking this for my own edification. Wouldn't a DDoSer slow his own internet stream down by slamming it with outgoing packets as well? Thus, why there is a need for the Distributed part of the DDoS?

}
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Typically no, the dirty work is done by the other "controlled" devices like (compromised PCs, routers, etc etc). His PC would only be used to initiate the attack.

If he was smart, he'd have a dedicated server as a controller, which he'd log into.

Not to say you can't do it on your own PC, but you'd get caught pretty fast by the cops via the ISP ratting on you.
Reply Quote
Recyclemanx is actually a multi rank 1 glad on the Japenese servers and was the highest rated player in Japan in 2010 and 2011.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/22/2013 10:59 AMPosted by Pythes

It's because i don't think of you as Undead Drone #4471 of WSB. I will always remember that beneath the Frinkls that submitted his will to the Hivemind, there still lives a tiny but fierce Gnome Warlock of <Bold As Lions> that I gladly fought beside.

I also really don't see WSB engaging in DDOSing. This is the same guild that didn't know how to check a person's alts after all :P <3
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
05/22/2013 12:20 PMPosted by Urivial

I also really don't see WSB engaging in DDOSing. This is the same guild that didn't know how to check a person's alts after all :P <3

SHOTS FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I also really don't see WSB engaging in DDOSing. This is the same guild that didn't know how to check a person's alts after all :P <

lol As@%^le
Edited by Milkydud on 5/22/2013 12:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I also really don't see WSB engaging in DDOSing. This is the same guild that didn't know how to check a person's alts after all :P <

lol As@%^le

You know I love you Milky.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Frinkls ddos'd me yesterday along with a bunch of <Warsong Failathon> members. upon my death he then carried on with /emotes. Such a childish move if you asked me.

Because the first day of a new patch never causes lag and disconnects....
Reply Quote
10 Night Elf Druid
SHOTS FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p [/quote]

POW POW!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]