Atonement healing nerf

100 Blood Elf Priest
10% Nerf to it will be felt, especially on the fights we excel at (damage modifier ones), which blows as their are only a few we excel at, Basically Horridon, Ji-Kun with the damage modifer, Dark Animus because of the spotty damage that atonement is perfect for...and we get compensated by a slightly more powerful defensive penance? hmm... I for one use Offensive Penance's quite often for AOE-ish healing as it's (3) ticks, usually big, + DA on (3) people instead of 3 ticks on 1 guy. They taketh away and givith back where imo, isn't needed.

I thought I also read that they are nerfing PW:Sheild aswell..Or was that a tooltip fix (I hope so)?:

Power Word: Shield Discipline: Draws on the soul of the friendly target to shield them, absorbing Old:[ 263.8% of Spell Power + 27,393 New:[ 211% of Spell Power + 21,915 ;] damage. Lasts 15 sec. While the shield holds, spellcasting will not be interrupted by damage. Once shielded, the target cannot be shielded again for 15 sec.

Also, I dunno about anyone else...But I used to think Spirit shell was a great tool..still is for most fights, on regular (our guild is only 4 heroics in so far. but going on WOL, seems to show this aswell)....Since moving into heroics with alot of constant high aoe damage going out, I have had to go holy for most of it since Disc can't keep up with throughput and the Spirit shells are absorbed quicker than you can dish them out and your left twiddling your thumbs after that initial SS application and cascade( or whatever) and can barely make a dent on HP bars. Some PW:Sheild spam in their obviously, but still, just doesn't quite cut it.

Also, talking strictly 25m heroics here. Shaman's do very very well on the heroic fights were everyone is stacked for the majority (Tortos (melee), Magera, Iron Quo, etc) as they can do like a 3 button macro to do a boatload of healing without actually doing anything, (crazy ascendance and healing tides etc all timed perfectly).....I could have 100k Hps with like 30mill healing done, and the shammy could be afk for the first 2mins of fight, step in, start his stuff during some aoe damage and boom, 400k bagillion HPS + 40million healed, instantly passing everyone and then staying there since CD's keep it there....Why is it that they are getting across the board buffs to pretty much all their aoe healing spells???....I just don't understand it. In 10m I guess it might be different, but in 25m, they can do absolutely stellar...This is just going to be ridiculous now!

- Also, why is no one caring about the Borrowed time changes?Imo its kinda big...kinda going unnoticed..

- Concerned D Priest
Edited by Drbigblunts on 5/21/2013 11:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
05/21/2013 10:32 AMPosted by Elethia
Already swapped over to as much mastery as possible in preparation for bubble spammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yes, let's go from overusing one spell to overusing another! Sounds perfect!

Next patch:

PW: Shield mana cost increased and the meta gem no longer affects absorbs.

GC "We felt Disc priests were relying too heavily on PW:S and wanted to steer them towards more viable gameplay. We feel that if they make more use of atonement the game will be more balanced"

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
05/21/2013 11:09 AMPosted by Naérdriel

Yes, let's go from overusing one spell to overusing another! Sounds perfect!

Next patch:

PW: Shield mana cost increased and the meta gem no longer affects absorbs.

GC "We felt Disc priests were relying too heavily on PW:S and wanted to steer them towards more viable gameplay. We feel that if they make more use of atonement the game will be more balanced"

I know what you're getting at... GC should just say something like, "Look, Discs. We don't like bubble spam. We don't like one bubble just for rapture. You need to find the happy medium or we're gonna tweak the living sheet out of you until you figure out what will make us ignore you for a while. mmmkay? thx. bub-bye."
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I'm not sure if the perceived problem was disc doing too well, or that they just didn't like the prevailing play style.

Personally I have been healing almost exclusively with atonement ... It typically amounts to around 60% of my effective healing. I think the play style is unique among healers and will most certainly be noticed / missed.

I don't feel like atonement focused disc priests were 15%-20% too strong... so I find this nerf to be excessive. It seems to effectively eliminate the viability of this unique play style.

Except for damage modifier fights, I'll spend more boss fights in Holy I guess.

I'll admit it was getting to be pretty powerful and lazy. The smite glyph change doesn't make me happy, and I feel like 90% is an arbitrary and odd number. I would have really just preferred a damage nerf or a harsher cap.

I agree completely ... I was getting a little lazy, but it was a challenge to keep the dps style rotation going and still using other healing abilities and cool-downs when appropriate. I feel that a/another nerf to penance plus the removal of the glyph of smite (its basically useless now so I feel pretty comfortable referring to this as a removal) would have been more than enough to keep atonement disc from being OP.

Shame that I will likely now need to keep two healing specs and begin paying to respec one to shadow several times per week for quests / PvP / certain fights.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Hey I go with what is most effective, efficient, and kills dargons. It was PoH spam all last tier, has been atonement all this tier, and now will be bubble spam except for gimmick damage fights. Those will remain atonement spammmmm. Ive done bubble spam before in cata and it was like...fun for a week.

The most shocking thing to me is that pally mastery did not get nerfed more than it did. It was the largest culprit of absorb abuse since it is basically the same as our old PoH for DA trick except it applies to all of their spells GGGG.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's an easy balance, but the over tweaking is really more damaging than it is helping. Of course, we'll see how it feels on live.

And this

The most shocking thing to me is that pally mastery did not get nerfed more than it did. It was the largest culprit of absorb abuse since it is basically the same as our old PoH for DA trick except it applies to all of their spells GGGG.

yup....
Edited by Naérdriel on 5/21/2013 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Mostly I'm just sad that I couldn't motivate my guildies to run Challenge Mode golds while Atonement was still in its pre-nerf state.

The Borrowed Time "bug fix" also irks me a bit, because it was in the game since way back when, and is really an integral part of the playstyle.

At this point I just need to figure out what to glyph in place of the now-useless smite glyph. I'm thinking I'll run both inner fire and inner sanctum on fights that have both physical and spell raid-damage, but not sure what to run on fights that have only one or the other.
Edited by Disinterred on 5/21/2013 11:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I welcome this nerf. They got rid of our DA procs on PoH and force us into atonement. Now they are crushing down atonement. This is hopefully the swing back to healers actually being healers and not hybrids. Healing through damage is garbage, if you want to do that go shadow and keep vamp on CD.

Specifically with penance, it should be a spell that does more healing when you use it on an ally. Having it produce more healing through damage is ridiculous. The smite glyph was ok if you ran atonement but honestly, how many smites did you get in that Holy fire window? 2-3? Maybe one to two more? It's not an outrageously good glyph, it's not nothing either.

Anyways, I'm hopeful for the future. Time to start being healers.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Mostly I'm just sad that I couldn't motivate my guildies to run Challenge Mode golds while Atonement was still in its pre-nerf state.

The Borrowed Time "bug fix" also irks me a bit, because it was in the game since way back when, and is really an integral part of the playstyle.

At this point I just need to figure out what to glyph in place of the now-useless smite glyph. I'm thinking I'll run both inner fire and inner sanctum on fights that have both physical and spell raid-damage, but not sure what to run on fights that have only one or the other.

OOOO glyph of fade is amazing if you aren't using that. fade isn't on the GCD anymore. Also glyph of binding heal helps to fill the hole we have for not being able to recover health as well as other healers. inner sanctum is a must.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

You can't really roll IH shields in the same way that you could do with DA. For the most part their absorbs are just fancy padding, except on heavy continuous single target damage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I am sad with this nerf. I agree with the earlier statement that disc made us a little lazy. I have to do old raids with my brothers and I noticed that I couldn't heal in holy worth a !@#$. I had to relearn to direct heal and not just dps heal.

I was happy with my disc priest. It was like we were back to the way we could heal in Warth of the Lich King. I miss those days, when priest walked around like gods. Now we get a buff just for a little tease and they take that way and say "Just jokking."
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I am sad with this nerf. I agree with the earlier statement that disc made us a little lazy. I have to do old raids with my brothers and I noticed that I couldn't heal in holy worth a !@#$. I had to relearn to direct heal and not just dps heal.

I was happy with my disc priest. It was like we were back to the way we could heal in Warth of the Lich King. I miss those days, when priest walked around like gods. Now we get a buff just for a little tease and they take that way and say "Just jokking."

Back in Wraith, Holy actually meant a damn. These days, it's not "hey let's buff holy to make it more attractive" it is "let's make disc...less attractive"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I hear that
Reply Quote
86 Undead Monk
I think they just wanted to make the DPS to healing play style inferior in anyway.

I don't think it was intentional. I think they want the Chloromancer, but can't replicate it's success and balance without duplicating it.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Probably going Holy.

Not for any knee-jerk complaint reasons though, the times I'm healing it's with another disc priest, and we both hit Atonement pretty hard so there's less Weakened Soul conflict going on. A little shaved off Atonement isn't going to be a big deal, but 2 disc priests in a 10-man that are both healing more "correctly" means more collisions on shielding.

Also, sorta fond of Chakra:Chastise when there's truly no healing to be done but I'm stuck in a healer spec. If I could give my shadowfiend's mana to other healers like with Innervate, I'd be all set.
Edited by Breathkeeper on 5/21/2013 1:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I for one am not pleased about the changes. Rest assured that seeing your heals take a dive after nerfs such as these fuels not only anger but demotivates players. I won't be surprised if more of the WoW community joins those who left. Yes, new content is good, but nerfs make me not enjoy the content.

Another concerned disc priest who is tired of changing play styles after every patch.
Edited by Fiel on 5/21/2013 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Every patch we are getting nerfs now, I wont be suprised if i log on one day and see patch notes: "We have erased the priest class as we felt they were too powerful in all pvp and pve situations"

^^ This. I think we're the only class that didnt get a buff. Everyone elses dps and healing was buffed, And i dont mean Divine Hymn, that was cool, but overall Priests were forgotten or abused once again.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
As a holy priest since wrath (disc in bc) I'm ok with it. I think everyone can admit that disc was just too much before this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm not sure if the perceived problem was disc doing too well, or that they just didn't like the prevailing play style.

Personally I have been healing almost exclusively with atonement ... It typically amounts to around 60% of my effective healing. I think the play style is unique among healers and will most certainly be noticed / missed.

I don't feel like atonement focused disc priests were 15%-20% too strong... so I find this nerf to be excessive. It seems to effectively eliminate the viability of this unique play style.

I agree completely ... I was getting a little lazy, but it was a challenge to keep the dps style rotation going and still using other healing abilities and cool-downs when appropriate. I feel that a/another nerf to penance plus the removal of the glyph of smite (its basically useless now so I feel pretty comfortable referring to this as a removal) would have been more than enough to keep atonement disc from being OP.

Shame that I will likely now need to keep two healing specs and begin paying to respec one to shadow several times per week for quests / PvP / certain fights.

I also play a major atonement game (in 5-man heroics). Typically I use Holy Fire and Smite, then pop Evangelism at 5-stacks, and either switch to direct healing or continue Smite spam. In the mean time, I'm refreshing POH and Bubbling people who take damage. I often keep Renew rolling on the tank, too. I, too, deal about 60% of my healing using atonement.

I played around last night and had no real issue with the new nerfs. Borrowed Time seemed to be OK, bubbling seemed strong enough, and atonement wasn't bad enough to be noticed. I'm overhealing by a wide margin in 5-mans anyway, so YMMV.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]