Atonement healing nerf

90 Blood Elf Priest
I barely noticed a difference.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I guess I need to try it out more in PvP. Unfortunately it means adjusting my playing style.
Edited by Ehlana on 5/22/2013 9:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Thanks to the AI changes on smart healing Atonement is stronger than it was before 5.3. Seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
All I ever heal with is Atonement & prayer of healing/spirit shell. That being said, I didn't feel these nerfs at all. DPS is still great, as well as hps.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
All I ever heal with is Atonement & prayer of healing/spirit shell. That being said, I didn't feel these nerfs at all. DPS is still great, as well as hps.

You don't actually do any content that requires notable healing (unless you have another priest hidden behind this one). So obviously you won't feel as if you've been nerfed... you've never pushed your class as hard as it can go.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Since smart heals target players>pets now, I feel like it's a buff. Call me strange >.>

Its not trust us that may heal all over... it was a nerf and you can feel it.

Not sure disc is fun as it was... they have made us change our playstyle this entire expac/. Think about it..

Who else has had to change the way they play to get by?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
05/23/2013 11:33 PMPosted by Rokareot
Since smart heals target players>pets now, I feel like it's a buff. Call me strange >.>

Its not trust us that may heal all over... it was a nerf and you can feel it.

Not sure disc is fun as it was... they have made us change our playstyle this entire expac/. Think about it..

Who else has had to change the way they play to get by?

Monks.

The buff pretty much met the nerf in the middle. Atonement play hasn't been broken; it's just been dialed back to the point where players can't mindlessly spam that and do well.

So obviously you won't feel as if you've been nerfed... you've never pushed your class as hard as it can go.

To be fair, neither have you. Anyone hurting after this nerf needs to take a step back and evaluate their own play.
Edited by Elethia on 5/24/2013 12:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm literally playing disc the exact same way now as I was before the patch.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
I'm happy. Atonement should and always should have been a filler ability, not a go-to, set up my entire gear around, and spam ability. Hasn't really changed my healing in a 10man much.

I've been using a heavy PWS style with SS, since before the nerf. I have ~28% crit raid buffed now, and ever since I hit 20% crit I've noticed a lot more healing from DA and my shields in general. Although I think I will stay at 20-25% crit self-buffed and get more mastery now that I'm starting to move into heroic levels of gear.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

What he's not saying is that he's more responsible than most of us, and was actually using his full toolkit (although his argument was that it kept him from being bored).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
What he's not saying is that he's more responsible than most of us, and was actually using his full toolkit (although his argument was that it kept him from being bored).

I think most priests will continue to play exactly as before, but i'm still not happy with the changes, mostly because it amplifies a gap in our toolkit, which is triage. We will still use atonement for triage because we don't have anything better, but it's just less effective now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm playing mostly like I was before. I had a slight shift towards more bubbling, though honestly the increased ilvl/upgrading/legendary meta gem play into that more than the nerf.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
(although his argument was that it kept him from being bored).

the spec is called DiZZZzzzzzzc for a reason.

and hey I did and do my fair share of atonement *ahem* healing and still do!

it amplifies a gap in our toolkit, which is triage

I know not a lot of players are comfortable with accepting the fact that some specs are not as "good" at certain aspects of healing as others are, but I would say I am heavily in the other camp. I suppose it depends on what your other healers are and how skilled they are, but I find that if I'm playing disc a majority of my time is spent anticipating the need for triage.

If I am not healing with 5 other disc healers, I can count on (most of the time) my other healers to do more, but not all, of the lifting when it comes to moving health bars back up while I focus on preventing people from going down too far by reacting to damage patterns before they happen or noticing that raid member who will be too slow to move from something that's going to hurt them.

I find that too often every healer wants to be powerful enough to burst everyone up and also do ample spot healing or other such things. This should not, nay, must not ever be the case. I enjoy mixing healing classes in a raid because it lets you use each healing style's strengths in different ways all at the same time in a wonderful symphony of cooperation. I enjoy putting myself in the role of understanding who WILL take damage and who has just taken damage and might die (even if the bubble i put on them does no healing, it's possible that said player or players COULD take damage before they're healed up and the tradeoff is worth it).

e: ok I really don't think disc makes me fall asleep, in fact often times holy can be worse because I *cant* spam smite etc... healing doesn't make me fall asleep; easy, low-damage encounters do (looking at you normal twins/council)
Edited by Tsilyi on 5/24/2013 11:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
How does everyone feel about this? a 10% drop in atonement healing... Outrageous

Haven't really noticed a difference.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm more than a little disappointed none of us has seen fit to respond with "truly, truly, truly outrageous."
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I know not a lot of players are comfortable with accepting the fact that some specs are not as "good" at certain aspects of healing as others are, but I would say I am heavily in the other camp. I suppose it depends on what your other healers are and how skilled they are, but I find that if I'm playing disc a majority of my time is spent anticipating the need for triage.

If I am not healing with 5 other disc healers, I can count on (most of the time) my other healers to do more, but not all, of the lifting when it comes to moving health bars back up while I focus on preventing people from going down too far by reacting to damage patterns before they happen or noticing that raid member who will be too slow to move from something that's going to hurt them.

I understand the thought behind this, but we may be having a bit of 10m/25m disconnect here. When you 2heal a fight, you don't always have the luxury of playing to your strengths. At some point in a fight you will every type of healing possible, and if it's outside the strengths of your spec, too bad. I understand healing is a team effort, but people should not discount a hit to our triage just because "it's not our job"
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I'm more than a little disappointed none of us has seen fit to respond with "truly, truly, truly outrageous."

I can do that if you want.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
we may be having a bit of 10m/25m disconnect here

While this is possible, I also (outside of cooldown stacking) think that the disconnect is not as large as most people may think. A 25 man will use between 4 and 6 healers (rarely 7 or 8 on fights that require obscene amounts of healing, looking at you heroic empress) and realistically in a high damage portion of a fight no healer is going to be able to heal 3+ groups extremely effectively. We either have to spread our healing very thin between all groups or focus on a couple of groups only. One example of this is heroic ji-kun. during quills I simply will not be in range of every group but at times I may be the only one (or one of maybe two) healers in range of nearly two entire groups. In that situation I operate very similarly to the way a 10 man healer will.

As our atonement has taken a slight nerf, I would encourage you to preemptively use pw:s much, much more aggressively if you have not. What that should do is enable your partner to deal with the incoming damage better due to the fact that it is simply being slowed down. Trust your partner. I've healed in 10 man situations as well. Not in this tier, but certainly in heroic raiding and what it really comes down to is communication, planning and knowing that your roles are constantly changing. I know you have a lot of heroics under your belt. I know you will be able to handle the small nerf to atonement healing and compensate in other ways. It may even be worth going holy more often!
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Disc may not be the best at "burst health recovery on small numbers of random targets" but it is definitely the best at stopping those players from dying (PW:S, aegis generated from offensive penance or binding heal crits) and I'd argue that the latter is far more important. You don't have to immediately top someone off; if they are at 50% and you PW:S them, their health will stop going down and you can heal them with your next available penance / solace if they don't get randomly picked up by aoe heals.

We're still incredibly strong, and the overall playstyle hasn't really changed much from the start of the expansion. Everyone got caught up with how OP 5.1 PoH was and forgot that even at the height of PoH ridiculousness it was a gain to use offensive penance pretty much on CD + holy fire most of the time (at least until you got 4p T14), get rapture, keep PoM up (barring overwriting issues with multiple priests), and use L90 talent appropriately. It was the same after the PoH auto-aegis nerf; the only difference was that you were more likely to fill in the gaps with smite instead of PoH. Now that smite has been nerfed (penance is still strong enough to use close to on CD either offensively or defensively), we're back to filling with PoH or PW:S during periods of high damage and smiting when we can get away with it. People who jumped full-on into the "currently OP" playstyle may have to readjust, but that hasn't been better than playing "properly" at any point this expansion.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]