Before Diminishing Returns

100 Human Death Knight
SnP
Hurry, help me before Diminishing gets home.

Where is the After number?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

and

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
SnP
42 what?
and
Where is the formula for x?
x = after
Edited by Babana on 5/23/2013 9:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
The number on your character sheet is the after, plus your base dodge or parry (Including the rune if you use it). Off the top of my head, it's 5.01% base dodge and 3% parry (Plus about 0.22% more from base strength, which also doesn't contribute to DR), so you've got 10.13% dodge after DR, without your base dodge and 17.18% parry after DR, minus the base parry and base parry from strength.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
42 what?

42 is THE answer. Trick is knowing the question.

Someone needs to read some Douglas Adams, methinks.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
SnP
Okay, I've read this post about 5 times now.
The number on your character sheet is the after, plus your base dodge or parry
Let's stop here because I'm Confused already.
Why does it not say 'after diminishing returns'?
(Including the rune if you use it). Off the top of my head, it's 5.01% base dodge and 3% parry (Plus about 0.22% more from base strength, which also doesn't contribute to DR),

okay so that's kind of irrelevant, sure.
so you've got 10.13% dodge after DR, without your base dodge and 17.18% parry after DR, minus the base parry and base parry from strength.

Okay...so..., how did you get from 10.88% to 10.13% when you just said it is the after number on the character sheet?
Thanks ahead of time for being patient with me.
I get (Total Dodge Rating / 885 = 10.88)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
Why does it not say 'after diminishing returns'?
Because it's implied to be after diminishing returns. The chance you see on your character sheet is the number of times (on average) you'll dodge or parry an attack. If you've got 10% dodge, you'll dodge 10% of the time. If you've got 15% parry, you'll parry 15% of the time. This number has to be after diminishing returns, or it's basically worthless.

okay so that's kind of irrelevant, sure.
Er, less than you think. Base dodge/parry (Including parry from base str, but not parry from any other str including buffs and gear) doesn't contribute to diminishing returns. The way the game calculates your dodge (I'll ignore parry, because it's the same process but it has to add strength into it too), is it gets all the dodge rating on your gear or from any buffs like trinket procs, then converts that into the Before Diminishing Returns number you see. This is the 10.88% dodge you see. Then it applies the diminishing returns formula to that there, giving you the 10.13% dodge number that I said was the after diminishing returns number. After that, it adds on your base dodge, giving you the 15.13% you see on your character sheet.
-----
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
SnP
Then it applies the diminishing returns formula to that there, giving you the 10.13% dodge number that I said was the after diminishing returns number.

How did you get 10.13%?
Reverse equation 10.13% to figure out my effective dodge rating?
So I have ~600 points of diminished dodge rating?

I guess I should edit to mention, I feel bad wanting hound someone down to figure out how much effective dodge or parry rating I have vs. diminished.
Edited by Babana on 5/23/2013 1:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
The equation to turn pre-DR dodge into post-DR dodge is in my sticky:
1 1 k
- = - + -
x' c x

Where
x' is avoidance after diminishing returns
x is avoidance before diminishing returns
c is the cap. This is the theoretical "maximum" and as you get closer to that number, the
harsher DR you suffer. This has one of four numbers, depending on your class and the stat:
Parry (for warriors, pallies and dks): c = 237.1860
Dodge (for warriors) c = 90.6425
k is just a constant that controls scaling and is also based on class:
For warriors: k = 0.956

I think the warrior numbers are the same for DKs, I should probably update my thread to say that. So for you, you'd need to do 1/(1/90.6425 + 0.956/10.88)
Though I got it just by subtracting your base dodge from your dodge chance on your character sheet (ie, 15.13% - 5%) because I'm lazy like that and it should give you the same number. Which apparently it doesn't (I got 10.11%), which means my constants are slightly out. Whoops. Oh well.

Also, I get the feeling, you're thinking avoidance DRs work in the same way as PvP stun and stuff DRs, in which case, no, they don't. All it means is that, the more dodge rating you have, the less dodge% you get per point of rating.

And also also, I have to go to work now. <_< >_> /flee
-----
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
SnP
Thank you so much for your time!
Some things just take awhile to click, ♫A whole new World!♪ and I apologize.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Thank you so much for your time!
Some things just take awhile to click, ♫A whole new World!♪ and I apologize.

As a side note, stacking avoidance is not a good idea. You would be much better served stacking mastery as it increases the size of your absorb. Pretty sure you NEED to get hit to maximize DS.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
As a side note, stacking avoidance is not a good idea. You would be much better served stacking mastery as it increases the size of your absorb. Pretty sure you NEED to get hit to maximize DS.
I believe you're right, but for the wrong reasons. Mastery is better, but it's not because you want to get hit to get the size of your DS up. Clearly, not getting hit is better than any DS, it's just that Mastery gives you better bang for your buck for damage taken, plus it makes you less spiky. I think. An actual DK could offer more help here.
-----
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]