How exactly does Unbreakable Spirit Work?

58 Human Paladin
Honest question here guys. I know WHAT it does, but I have no idea HOW it does it. All I know is that there is no buff that pops up after I pop one of the relevant cooldowns, nor is the duration any less on them than without the talent.

In other words, if I pop Lay on Hands, it's still a 10 minute cooldown no matter how many holy points i have up, and I HAVE tried clicking on it with a minute to go just to make sure. I'm not seeing any buffs pop up to let me know Unbreakable Spirit is working.

And yes, I DO have it specced.

Can someone please shed some of that holy light on how this works?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
It's passive

You spend Holy power and you get a cd reduction for Divine Shield, Lay on Hands, and Divine Protection based on holy power spent
Should also work with Divine Purpose iirc.

Remember, UbS works when your spells are already on cooldown. The talent effectively lets you use spells like Lay on hands an additional time throughout a longer fight.
Edited by Carbuncle on 5/22/2013 4:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
58 Human Paladin
I just popped Divine Shield with 3 holy power. The cooldown is still five minutes. And yes, I do have Unbreakable Spirit specced. So I still don't understand what's going on.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Sorry if I wasn't clear =/

After you use a spell like Divine Shield ( It's a 5minute cooldown )

The spells that consume Holy power, let's say you use a templar's verdict. That will reduce the cooldown on that spell, and will keep reducing it up to 50% ( 2.5minutes ) by holy power spent.

I know this might be silly, but maybe make sure you are specced for UbS o.O?
Reply Quote
58 Human Paladin
I am definitely specced for it, and I'm sorry but I still don't get it. Is it dependent on the amount of holy power you currently have when you pop the cooldown? Because I am seeing no change in duration of the CD with 3 holy power, or zero holy power.

Or are you saying once I spend 3 holy power on a Templar's Verdict or Word of Glory that automatically changes the cooldown duration? Because I'm not seeing that either.

I'm sorry if I'm thick, but this is the first time in 8 years I've looked at a talent and haven't been able to figure out how it works by reading the tooltip.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am definitely specced for it, and I'm sorry but I still don't get it. Is it dependent on the amount of holy power you currently have when you pop the cooldown? Because I am seeing no change in duration of the CD with 3 holy power, or zero holy power.

Or are you saying once I spend 3 holy power on a Templar's Verdict or Word of Glory that automatically changes the cooldown duration? Because I'm not seeing that either.

I'm sorry if I'm thick, but this is the first time in 8 years I've looked at a talent and haven't been able to figure out how it works by reading the tooltip.

It has nothing to do with how much holy power you have when you use the spell.

Each time you spend holy power (1 - 3) the current cooldown of Divine Shield, Divine Protection, or LoH, will be reduced by 1% for each holy power spent. You can lower it up to a maximum of 50% the normal cooldown.

As you continue to spend your holy power, the cooldown of the spell will gradually reduce over time until it reaches 50%.

I just tested it right now, and it's definitely working as intended. Pop Divine Shield, and then just start whacking on mobs and spend holy power. You'll see the remaining cooldown diminish a lot quicker than if it were normally just ticking.
Edited by Valivax on 5/22/2013 5:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm spec'd for it, and it works.
Reply Quote
58 Human Paladin

It has nothing to do with how much holy power you have when you use the spell.

Each time you spend holy power (1 - 3) the current cooldown of Divine Shield, Divine Protection, or LoH, will be reduced by 1% for each holy power spent. You can lower it up to a maximum of 50% the normal cooldown.

As you continue to spend your holy power, the cooldown of the spell will gradually reduce over time until it reaches 50%.

I just tested it right now, and it's definitely working as intended. Pop Divine Shield, and then just start whacking on mobs and spend holy power. You'll see the remaining cooldown diminish a lot quicker than if it were normally just ticking.

I'm still not seeing a difference at all, but I probably wouldn't notice 1% increments anyway. I guess knowing that it's there doing what it's supposed to do whether I can tell or not is going to have to do! :P

At least I understand the mechanics now. Thanks all for clearing it up. I appreciate it!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Unbreakable Spirit is really only worth taking up if you use Divine Purpose as well.

With Unbreakable spirit, your inherent CD's on the affected spells are the same, but once they go on CD, every single holy power spent will reduce their CD. However, since its only 1% per HoPo, that means you need spend 50 HoPo's while the spells are on CD in order to reduce their timers by 50%.

This is why divine purpose works so well with Unbreakable Spirit. Often times you'll get a string of procs just from using 1 HoPo, and each proc counts for 3 HoPo when spent. However, this also means that you need to make sure you are actually using every proc that Divine Purpose gives you.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I'm still not seeing a difference at all, but I probably wouldn't notice 1% increments anyway. I guess knowing that it's there doing what it's supposed to do whether I can tell or not is going to have to do! :P

At least I understand the mechanics now. Thanks all for clearing it up. I appreciate it!

It'll only shave a few seconds off each time you spend holy power, so you're not going to notice it unless you're like mousing over the ability watching the timer count down when you use a hp spending ability (for example for divine shield's 5m cd, each hp you spend will only knock 1s off the cd).

If you want to actually see the difference, go to a target dummy and pop divine shield/protection and start your own timer at the same time and go through your rotation normally and when the ability goes off cd look at your timer to see how long it actually took, you should see that it's definitely shorter than the displayed cd.
Edited by Pancakê on 5/22/2013 9:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/22/2013 08:59 PMPosted by Pancakê
(for example for divine shield's 5m cd, each hp you spend will only knock 1s off the cd).

3 seconds, actually. 1% of 300 seconds.

It's possible (although slightly tricky; a mod like OmniCC helps) to observe the individual increments, but you can also just use a stopwatch and see that your 5-minute cooldown is ready after less than 5 minutes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Its easiest to track with omniCC and divine protection, as it only has a 1 minute CD, you can visibly see the cooldown decreasing as you use a holy power consuming spell
Reply Quote
You could also put LoH on cooldown for a more noticeable indication its working.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
05/22/2013 09:56 PMPosted by Ravicana
(for example for divine shield's 5m cd, each hp you spend will only knock 1s off the cd).

3 seconds, actually. 1% of 300 seconds.

It's possible (although slightly tricky; a mod like OmniCC helps) to observe the individual increments, but you can also just use a stopwatch and see that your 5-minute cooldown is ready after less than 5 minutes.
whoops, mental math must have confused 1hp vs 3hp with 3 seconds.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
You could also use the in-game stopwatch to track the cooldown. If the cooldown ends before the stopwatch, it's working. Just use at target dummy to test it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It definitely works. I tank with it regularly.

The biggest difference is watching the Lay on Hands cooldown.

If you want proof, Hrodbhert, do the following:

0. Talent Unbreakable Spirit and Holy Avenger.

1. Blow Lay on Hands to put it on CD. Normally you'd have to wait 10 minutes for it to be up again. Find a low level target dummy you'll never miss.

2. Use Holy Avenger and hit Judgment/CS whenever they're up, and spam Word of Glory with all your Holy Power. Watch the CD of Lay on Hands noticeably go down.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I think the what is confusing the OP at least from what I'm reading, its not the amount of holy power you have when you use divine shield/LoH its when you USE Holy power the cd goes down.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]