Frost DK PVP 5.3 (Gems)

90 Orc Death Knight
It's starting to look like our priority gems are going to be the following:

Red: Str (obviously)
Yellow: Str/Res OR Str/Haste OR Str/Mastery..this color entirely depends on how you want to play imo. Since resil gems were halved, I find having a pure resil gem to be hurting your own damage since all have 65% base now. I am also considering possibly pure mastery gems for yellow or haste, thus enabling reforging to expertise and hit more efficiently. Again this is all speculation, not saying what is going to be better.
Blue: This is a bit difficult to pin which gems would be good here as any other pure blue gems are pve oriented or non DK, and most of the hybrid greens and purples give DK's 1 priority stat with a non priority. I.E STR/STAM or HASTE/STAM.

PVP power seems to be pretty much worthless for us to gem at the moment. I will be doing some more testing here in a bit with my current gem setup and then update this post to inform those looking to continue PVPing Frost.

And yes I know I don't have any arena on this toon, nor much PVP in general. Just attempting to help those who don't have the time to figure this out.

UPDATE:

Just did a BG and wow, just wow.

Highest Obliterate crit was 45k, Frost Strike highest crit was 19k and HB is laughable at best.

So yeah it is official that all resil and pvp power gemming is worthless.
I'm still not sure what to gem in blue sockets but we shall see.
Edited by Panthir on 5/21/2013 4:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Switched my gems over to strength and haste , back to globaling things and conversioning through peoples damage with BP.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Yeah I just switched to str/mastery pretty much. Seems to be doing a lot better now.

I also am using the PVP power/mastery green gems for my blue sockets. As i have 57% haste, it seems to be better to gem into mastery (pvp speaking of course).

Not knowledgeable on the PVE side for this xpac/patch yet.
Edited by Panthir on 5/21/2013 7:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Sockets
Red: str
Yellow: str/haste
Blue: str/power
Reply Quote
Conversioning through people's damage with Blood Pact?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Highest Obliterate crit was 45k, Frost Strike highest crit was 19k and HB is laughable at best.

So yeah it is official that all resil and pvp power gemming is worthless.
I'm still not sure what to gem in blue sockets but we shall see.

Not sure how this was happening. I ran arenas stacking str/pvp power last night and saw several 120k oblit crits.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
If you aren't going to gem for pvp power then having pvp gear is pointless and you might as well just go pvp in your pve gear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
pvp power just got hit with a huge nerf so gemming pvp power for something like a frost dk or another damage class is useless right now...
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I don't know want is best for pvp ATM.

My dps dropped from 18k in 5.1 to 13k in 5.2 now to 8.5k in 5.3 ( single target )

This patch is just crap atm for PVP, my highest crit lately has been about 40k ish Oblit us to be 80k ish. No padding the DPS with AOE's

This 65% baseline resil was a stealth nerf to DKs.

We all need to go learn Gamming Programing so we can deliver crap like this and still get over 100k a year.

In Electronic Repair if you repeatedly fail at providing a good result you will be fired. I guess programing you just deliver what ever you can with out actually reading the feed back in the test realm.

Basic math, if you increase the Baseline resil for everyone, then you will be decreasing the average DPS for the classes where you don't buff their dps.

So look at the classes who had their DPS buffed in 5.3, those will be the classes that will do well in dps ATM.
Edited by Darkeruin on 5/25/2013 4:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Sockets
Red: str
Yellow: str/haste
Blue: str/power

What would you recommend for haste %? Currently I have around 57% or so. So I went for mastery instead.

If you aren't going to gem for pvp power then having pvp gear is pointless and you might as well just go pvp in your pve gear.

I thought this too, until I pvped right after patch came out and noticed a significant drop in my damage. Regemmed to STR/Mastery and I've hitting just as hard or at least near what I was doing pre patch. (Not taking into consideration my recent gear upgrades).

pvp power just got hit with a huge nerf so gemming pvp power for something like a frost dk or another damage class is useless right now...

Agreed. It seems like the only specs to benefit from pvp power would be heals but I have no clue if that'd be better than int/haste etc.

I don't know want is best for pvp ATM.

My dps dropped from 18k in 5.1 to 13k in 5.2 now to 8.5k in 5.3 ( single target )

This patch is just crap atm for PVP, my highest crit lately has been about 40k ish Oblit us to be 80k ish. No padding the DPS with AOE's

This 65% baseline resil was a stealth nerf to DKs.

We all need to go learn Gamming Programing so we can deliver crap like this and still get over 100k a year.

In Electronic Repair if you repeatedly fail at providing a good result you will be fired. I guess programing you just deliver what ever you can with out actually reading the feed back in the test realm.

Basic math, if you increase the Baseline resil for everyone, then you will be decreasing the average DPS for the classes where you don't buff their dps.

So look at the classes who had their DPS buffed in 5.3, those will be the classes that will do well in dps ATM.

LOL at the the tech jokes :P

I agree with most of what you say. Like I said in OP i have little to no experience arena wise in this xpac (did arena on my original vanilla rogue during TBC and havent done anything since Wrath), though have been doing 2s with a MW Monk (and doing relatively well actually), however I will say it feels like my "rotation", if you would call it that, has been moved to a more "rogue" type playstyle. I.E Setup on a target , keep necro up, then burst target or hardswap, rinse and repeat. Not saying this is balanced or trying to imply it is working as intended. Just food for thought I suppose.

Not like this is related to the thread, but hunter comps are making me want to punch an effing wall. SO MUCH CC.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
05/25/2013 07:46 PMPosted by Panthir
What would you recommend for haste %? Currently I have around 57% or so. So I went for mastery instead.

As much as possible really. Help runes regen faster, have auto attack faster for more KMs. I realize we're at range 50% of the time in pvp, which is where mastery shines. I've tried mastery and it's nice but I just like optimizing myself for the maximum amount of obliterates. It's personal preference and playstyle. I've seen lots of different people with haste or mastery builds.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight

This is not quite accurate. Yes, pvp power is still good, but the amount required for 1% extra damage is ridiculous, at 400 pvp power. At 160 pvp power per gem, this means I have to fill a minimum of three sockets for 1% additional damage.

IMO don't bother gemming for PvP power, all of it should come from your gear naturally.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]