Spriest or Destro lock?

90 Human Death Knight
Thinking to reroll a new char...

Which of these 2 is easier to play/ understand the spec, has lower skill cap and a smoother rotation with not so many button to press?

Im getting old so just looking to have some fun (ofc not frustration) in duels, 2's 3's lower rate arena and random battlegrounds. Also some questings and leveling :)

Thanks for any help!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I don't know about pvp but for pve spriest has an easier rotation than warlock.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
spreists own
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Thanks! I will give my lock a try, and between Aff and Destro, which spec do you think has an easier rotation as well as less buttons to press and manage?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Thanks! I will give my lock a try, and between Aff and Destro, which spec do you think has an easier rotation as well as less buttons to press and manage?

I also have a 90 lock, and my priest is at 87 or 88 right now. I like the tools the spriest gets overall. They feel slightly more defensive. If you want the dot playstyle for pvp, I would go spriest. I can't stand affliction in pvp right now, even though it's my favorite spec. They only way to do good damage is to channel Malific Grasp. It's so damn annoying in pvp. Destro does much better damage in pvp right now with equal or fewer spells to worry about.

So, overall, if you like dots, try spriest. If you like direct damage, try destro lock. Both are pretty tanky overall.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid

You actually should give demo a try, especially if you are starting from level 1. Demo is good right out of the gate, Destro doesn't get good till 42, and aff is......not good really.

I find Demon to be great in PvP, I know most people go destro, but the machine gun insta cast you can do while on the move is really really good for burst /kill windows. I find demo to have more mobility which for me is really important in PvP. Destro is a bit more of a stationary turret type of playstyle which I don't personally care for.

Certainly as you are leveling you can try them all out and see which one suits you, I would go demo at level 10 though and stick with that til you get dual spec.
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue

I have both too. I think lower lvls go Destro. Aff is fun it takes a lot to kill something. My aff lock beats destro and demo a lot in one on one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Really thankful for the advice, I think I will gi with Destro since I hate managing a pet, and I got a lvl 70 lock which I deleted it a year ago and just restored it so I will start with Destro from there.

Again, thanks for the tips and sharing, wish u guys success in game and real life :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Shadow

Always Shadow
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
Destro's rotation is waaaaaaay easier than Shadow Priest's. There's a reason 99% of all Warlocks are Destruction. It's so easy to play, I actually find it to be a snoozefest. The only catch is that Destro relies on hardcasting Chaos Bolt (a 3 second cast) to nuke, and it's hard to get any casts off versus good players, let alone a 3 second cast. Demonology is a lot more mobile than Destro, as it gets a lot of instant casts, but has a much more difficult PvE rotation. But all Warlocks can cast while moving at level 90 at the expense of movement speed, so that hardly matters for PvE.

As far as pet management goes, you're pretty much stuck with a pet if you play a Warlock. Grimoire of Supremacy and Grimoire of Service pull ahead of Sacrifice until higher gear levels for Affliction and Demonology. I'm not sure if Grimoire of Sacrifice ever beats Service or Supremacy for Destruction. Don't know about PvP, but I would assume pets would be incredibly useful there for their utility.

If you decide to level a Warlock, do not level as Affliction. You'll hate yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

You actually should give demo a try, especially if you are starting from level 1. Demo is good right out of the gate, Destro doesn't get good till 42, and aff is......not good really.

I find Demon to be great in PvP, I know most people go destro, but the machine gun insta cast you can do while on the move is really really good for burst /kill windows. I find demo to have more mobility which for me is really important in PvP. Destro is a bit more of a stationary turret type of playstyle which I don't personally care for.

Certainly as you are leveling you can try them all out and see which one suits you, I would go demo at level 10 though and stick with that til you get dual spec.

I leveled as Destro and was topping charts from level 15 in dungeons. Demo gave me a few issues.

I don't have a 90 Priest(86 right now, just getting back into it) but as far as rotations go Destro locks are BY FAR the easiest to manage. Spriest and Aff are on the same level of difficulty, followed by Demo which isn't even really that hard, just requires you to know a lot of skills and to make sure you're not getting fury capped.

Honestly I think Priests are much more fun and more enjoyable than my Lock is, and I'm honestly a little disappointed by my Lock at level 90, which is why I stopped playing it.

Edit: To the post above me, I believe I remember reading something about GoSac always beating either talent for Destro, but maybe I'm crazy and that was in 5.2 and things may have changed.
Edited by Enfernal on 5/25/2013 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
GoSac was nerfed for all locks, Blizz thinks that locks "must" be a pet class, so for pure dps gain GoSup or Ser is better.

Destro locks rotation is ez to learn, ez to put out good dps numbers (pve), but it does have some room to get better with more skill/awareness. And with lvl 90 talent movement fights dont hamper dmg at all. At same ilvl my destro lock out dps'd my spreist by a large margin.

This could be that i've mained a lock for so long, that i play it better. But sims show a big difference with lock on top.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
my lock is 88 right now, was my main during BC and wrath, tryed out everything destro > other specs.

i have more fun and enjoy more my SPriest but the skill cap seems to be higher
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]