How does divine aegis pop so much?

90 Blood Elf Priest
Whenever another priest out-heals me in a raid I always make sure to check out what they were doing so that I can implement that into my own play style. Recently, I've noticed that most that do out-heal me have the same exact top 3 spells (in order): Divine Aegis, Atonement, and either PW solace, cascade/divine star.

My confusion comes from divine aegis outdoing atonement. I would think that if they're atonement healing, divine aegis would be second to that (which is what my personal recount usually looks like). I assume that they're not purely atonement healing, but it's obvious they're using atonement the majority of the time. I just can't wrap my brain around how they get it to pop so much since it only comes from crit, unless they have an exceptionally high crit rating.

If anyone could lay it out for me that would be awesome.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
Better gear - more crit (most disc use a crit build) - more DA proc. DA can proc from attonement.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
That's the point though, DA is a product of a crit atonement meaning it should be below atonement. I realize that yes, like me, they're probably taking breaks to inner focus-prayer of healing-prayer of mending- other healing spells, but my inclination is to think that this healing boost still wouldn't make DA surpass their primary healing source.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
That's the point though, DA is a product of a crit atonement meaning it should be below atonement. I realize that yes, like me, they're probably taking breaks to inner focus-prayer of healing-prayer of mending- other healing spells, but my inclination is to think that this healing boost still wouldn't make DA surpass their primary healing source.

I don't think you understand how DA works.

Atonement can only heal damage that has already occurred. DA can lie in wait for damage that has yet to occur. Which means it snipes far better than Atonement can.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Atonement = heal. Subject to sniping/overheal.
DA = Bubba. No overheal.

Bubbles > Heals.

A skilled Disc priest can and will crush just about every other healer while using very little atonement compared to other disc priests.
(And this is Pre-5.3 when atonement was stronger than it is now. I havn't even raided yet this week I raid sunday/monday, so I have no idea how the numbers are currently when it comes to the Atonement nerf, or IH nerf.)

Atonement should not be your primary healing source. It should indeed be DA if you're playing properly. Hey maybe you can get away with it, but the best disc priests I've seen and/or run with, do very little atonement comparatively to probablyh 90% of disc priests you see.
Atonement based disc priests - at best - will sit just below me in heals. When we roll a disc priest into the raid who focuses far more on PW:S spamming and DA rather than sheer atonement, nobody can come close to that throughput. Even a pally - pre IH nerf.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Don't forget about Inner Focus.

I know it's not the be-all and end-all for the strength of DA, but a good Disc priest will be using Inner Focus strategically wherever possible. I believe it's still a throughput gain to use IF with PoH during SS (someone will correct me if I'm wrong; that might have ended with the 5.2 Disc changes) so perhaps strategic use of IF is to mostly use it during SS, but still. Guaranteed crit once every 45sec (or less, if you're making use of the Train of Thought IF cooldown reduction) is nothing to sneeze at.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]