at what item level does aff > destro

90 Troll Warlock
destro right now is favorable to low item level folks like me but suffer when playing affliction. I've heard from other top warlocks that you need atleast 520 item level for afflic to be better than destro, some have said that you atleast need lei shen trinket for afflic to be better than destro.

which is it in your opinion? (backed up facts would be nice too)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Both specs depend on your skill/gear with them. They also each have their strengths and weaknesses based on whatever encounter you are on.

For example, on ToT council I will always do more dps as affliction. Whereas on Primordius I have hit well over 200K as destro.

My advice: You're a pure DPS class. The luxury of being a well sorted one is we have a spec for every encounter. The way to play your lock the best is to learn to play all of it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
I played both of it. both are arguably easy, I just need to know when affliction starts to get better for single target dps. on fights like council, of course affliction will outperform destro by a long shot. demo is probably the best for the fight.

What I'm saying is single target dps. affliction is my favorite spec and I like destro too but when does affliction start to outperform destro in single target dps? a lot of log toppers I've talked to are vague with their answers and only say "520 start affliction, destro anything below" but why though?. what specific stat or item or trinket do I really need to reach/get to know that my afflic will finally outperform destro?
Reply Quote
20 Undead Warlock
the reason aff needs gear to top dps is simple, haste. aff needs a high amount of haste to get the most out of the dots. at a lower ilvl its not possible to get the second haste cap, which is 13,737.

as iv quoted before :The first is at 9,778 Haste Rating and will earn you +2 ticks on Unstable Affliction, +3 ticks on Corruption, and +4 ticks on Agony. The next breakpoint is at 13,737 Haste Rating and gets you +2 ticks on Unstable Affliction, +4 ticks on Corruption, and +5 ticks on Agony.

our dots hit fairly weakly. we need to up the amount of ticks for the damage to be there. otherwise mastery at lower ilvls is better
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
the reason aff needs gear to top dps is simple, haste. aff needs a high amount of haste to get the most out of the dots. at a lower ilvl its not possible to get the second haste cap, which is 13,737.

as iv quoted before :The first is at 9,778 Haste Rating and will earn you +2 ticks on Unstable Affliction, +3 ticks on Corruption, and +4 ticks on Agony. The next breakpoint is at 13,737 Haste Rating and gets you +2 ticks on Unstable Affliction, +4 ticks on Corruption, and +5 ticks on Agony.

our dots hit fairly weakly. we need to up the amount of ticks for the damage to be there. otherwise mastery at lower ilvls is better

will affliction be able to be on par with destro on single target if it's just 9778 haste? also thanks for this very specific answer, it is what I needed. any link you could link to me for the haste break points? I just want to see what's the haste requirement for goblins. I checked this (http://www.totemspot.com/vb/entry.php?b=44) but there is no 13737 number there.
Reply Quote
20 Undead Warlock
no the first haste cap wont do it from what iv seen . it gets u close but not there.

that particular quote was taken from http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/warlock/affliction/stat-priority
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
no the first haste cap wont do it from what iv seen . it gets u close but not there.

that particular quote was taken from http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/warlock/affliction/stat-priority

alright , i guess for now affliction will only be used for elders(also what bosses do you think that afflic will outperform destro without the 14k haste except for elders).

my new goal is that 13737 haste cap. thanks a lot Micailah for sharing some of your lock knowledge.
Reply Quote
20 Undead Warlock
well tbh without the second hard cap. i dont think aff will on most fights. not next to a similar ilvl and skill destro.

yw.just trying to help. but im actually staying away from hm raiding this expac as im not happy with the state of aff and i refuse to play another spec. so, while iv been playing since bc as aff as my main this whole time. iam in no way an expert. this is just my understanding from what iv experienced and researched.

gl, i hope it works out for ya. as always have fun dude

as a goblin the = to 13737 is 13180 haste rating
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Really, the only real difference you are going to see per spec is going to be determined by 3 things. Whether we want to admit it or not, our specs are fairly close in relation to each other.

1) Playstyle. If you find keeping track of 3 DoTs and cycling MG between re-applications from procs hard or tedious, you are probably not going to do well as Affi. If you feel that watching only 1 DoT and having a 2.5ish second cast that requires proc tracking is boring, you won't do well with Destro.

2) Ability. If you can keep track of 3+ DoTs on multiple targets, affi will shine on many fights for you. If you only want to worry about 1 DoT and 1 debuff for AoE or cleave situations then destro will be better for you.

3) Trinkets. Sadly this is the largest reason for almost ANY disparity between specs this tier. UVLS = affi gold, and makes Demo nuts on multi target fights. Sadly it has much a reduced effect for destro be cause the best way to utilize it is to toss out one of those lovely 2.5sec casts. Compared to ~3 Soulswaps and 3 Dooms.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
You can look all you want, but there is no one point that anyone can say "This is when affliction is better than destro."

Once you hit ~515 ilvl (assuming you stack haste/mastery, and get rid of crit) they start to level out and you're at the mercy of trinket RNG.

Try to get UVLS and breath of the hydra. Those two trinkets are fantastic for affliction. I know the BiS has WFC, but you'd be way better off with breath. The window to get the most from breath is quite large, which gives you a better chance of getting both that and UVLS up and the same time. The odds of you getting a 10 stack WFC with UVLS at the same time are very poor.

If you have good trinkets you can play affy pretty early. If you don't, you could be 522 and still do more DPS as destro.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/warlock/destruction will tell you all about warlocks and what the dps should be around for your gear and everything. You should go check it out.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/warlock/destruction will tell you all about warlocks and what the dps should be around for your gear and everything. You should go check it out.

Let's please stop recommending anything related to Noxxic. I'm sure someone has the list of problems copied down, but suffice to say it's not worth much.

While Destro outperforms Affliction at your gear in a simulation, OP, simulations or theory can never account for player feel. You'll often find that unless a spec feels smooth for you, you won't be able to do your theoretical DPS, and may be better off with a different one.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]