Why do my healers pull aggro?

100 Tauren Warrior
I've heard it said that healing doesn't generate threat. Normally, I would accept this, and move on, but more and more, both at low levels and at level 90, I find myself pulling aggro as I heal.

Sometimes the tank is terrible, but I often observe that the tank is doing fine, and I'm a tank myself. So, why are my healers pulling aggro?

A few things I'm NOT talking about:

Spawned adds, which traditionally focus on the healer unless quickly picked up

The healer's threat-generating abilities, like Righteous Fury. We're talking about a resto druid, among others, in fact the druid is one of the biggest problems.

Sucky tanks that can't hold threat. I've tanked since I started playing, in 3.2, and I know when a tank isn't holding threat. This problem has little to do with tank quality.

Standing in bad. There are some pretty clear signs that a creature is attacking you, such as aggro warnings.

I'd also like to know where I can find the technical data that explains threat, and how it relates to healers.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
What you heard is wrong. If we define 1 point of damage as generating 1 point of threat on the target, healing spells generate threat at 2 points of healing for 1 point of threat on all targets. Note that this only accounts healing that actually heals; overheal does not count.

Absorbtion mechanics work similarly: 2 points of damage absorbtion generates 1 point of threat. However, by definition of how absorbs work, these can't overheal. As a result, if you create a large absorbtion shield (Power Word: Shield being the most likely culprit) at the very start of a fight, this can result in things immediately rushing to you if the tank hasn't generate necessary threat (on account of say miss/dodge/parry).

Nonstandard power gains (read: mana, but theoretically rage/energy/runic power as well) also generate threat in similar numbers. Your standard method of getting these won't generate threat (spirit regen), but other means of getting mana does.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
A year later and you're still having a problem?

Are you talking about in regards to boss fights? At low levels it happens often, I found I was always spamming an ability to drop my threat at low levels. Tanks are still learning at this point and heals can be fairly OP at low levels.

At 90 now I don't have that much of an issue. Sometimes precasting a heal can generate threat and sometimes a baddie tank can't get it back (for whatever reason). It happens even to awesome players :p

Here's a wiki page about the threat list http://www.wowwiki.com/Threat_list "Healing a player on the threat list" for instance. There's also one on threat itself http://www.wowwiki.com/Threat
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Is this real life?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
As someone else mentioned, healing DOES generate threat. But it generates so little threat that ... the only believable way for a healer to get aggro is if no one else has any threat on that mob.

This can actually happen when a mob is outside the range of the tank's initial AOE (e.g. Thunderclap). So your tank jumps in, hits three mobs with Thunderclap, but the fourth one is out of range so he doesn't do any damage to it. Maybe in two seconds he'll notice and attack that one mob. But in that two second window, one of your HoTs ticks and generates threat. There you go.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Oh, you're that guy. Thanks for necro'ing your old thread!

You already know the answer to your question. We've told you repeatedly - on that old thread, even. You still don't accept it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If the issue is with resto, and I posted this in the other thread he started in the paladin forums;

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8874717609

I do not know if that bug has been fixed, but if you are in a group with a druid using treants they will cause threat issues.

Outside of that particular situation though I have not seen tanks having threat issues in various 5 mans, or even in raids.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
I'm not sure how you can be in a guild called "TheoryCraft" and not understand how threat works.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I've heard it said that healing doesn't generate threat. Normally, I would accept this, and move on, but more and more, both at low levels and at level 90, I find myself pulling aggro as I heal.

Sometimes the tank is terrible, but I often observe that the tank is doing fine, and I'm a tank myself. So, why are my healers pulling aggro?

A few things I'm NOT talking about:

Spawned adds, which traditionally focus on the healer unless quickly picked up

The healer's threat-generating abilities, like Righteous Fury. We're talking about a resto druid, among others, in fact the druid is one of the biggest problems.

Sucky tanks that can't hold threat. I've tanked since I started playing, in 3.2, and I know when a tank isn't holding threat. This problem has little to do with tank quality.

Standing in bad. There are some pretty clear signs that a creature is attacking you, such as aggro warnings.

I'd also like to know where I can find the technical data that explains threat, and how it relates to healers.

I have zero problem with getting threat as a Resto druid.
The only times I get threat is when new adds spawn; Tortos Bats drop down and 99.99999% of the time they run straight to me. So I always position myself where the tank is between me and the adds that have, or are going to have, threat on me.

You're playing with bad tanks if you gain agro under any other circumstance. Period. That's all you need to know because that's all that matters. Our agro dump is the worst in the game right behind Shamans. The only difference for them; They have Ankh when they die.

Healer threat doesn't exsist in any meaningful way. Only happens when nobody touched a particular mob.
Edited by Tonydanza on 5/27/2013 12:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
05/27/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Stakiyah
I've heard it said that healing doesn't generate threat.

You heard wrong. Healing does, in fact, generate threat.

That said, with current tanking mechanics... it is extremely hard for a healer to PULL threat off a tank. It is often the result of a tank in the wrong stance/presence/no RF, but it can happen now and then. This does not apply to new adds, which the tank has not hit. Healing is AoE threat and until someone else hits, or taunts, the mob, only the healer is on the threat table.

Edit: Now, the question is answered. Stop necro'ing old threads and making new ones asking the same question 5 different ways. Healing is threat, the end.
Edited by Vear on 5/27/2013 2:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
(If Druids are giving you problems) consistently, then you are not following a pattern with pulling that we can figure out, and are consistently at the point where LB is ready to fall off and then pulling, or starting to pull when the Druid isn't ready, forcing him or her to have to play "catch up".

Try this. You can see how long LB before LB needs to be refreshed, too. If you see that it's more than half gone, wait until it refreshes, THEN pull. Every Druid that's healed for more a week or 2 knows how to avoid causing aggro at the start of the pull.

And yes, some adds ALWAYS seem to target the healer first no matter what else is happening, until someone else taps them. The adds on Armsmaster Harlan. The adds on Commander Ri'mok. The adds during the General Pa'valak Bulwark phase. Any Druid with even a modest amount of experience will always make a beeline to you as soon as he sees them coming at him, but you will have to peel them when we get to you.

<S>
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
05/27/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Stakiyah
I've heard it said that healing doesn't generate threat.

As far as I'm aware, two points of healing equals one point of damage in terms of threat generation, unless they changed it way back when and I didn't catch it.

They did that to prevent paladins from heal tanking when they gained threat generated by holy spells and abilities.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
88904006969:
I've heard it said that healing doesn't generate threat

Go get omen and watch how threat works. It is not terribly complicated.

Healing agro is part of the game.

It is such a non issue that whoever told you that healing doesn't generate threat probably did not even realize it was happening.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
89191892138:
It is such a non issue that whoever told you that healing doesn't generate threat probably did not even realize it was happening.

This.

I run random heroics all the time - indeed, I've run heroics where I have more health than the tank does (which indicates a massive gear disparity). I heal whatever damage is dealt and I use the rest of my time dps'ing.

And I can't recall ever (in MoP at least) having a tank who couldn't hold aggro off me with trivial ease. If it was remotely difficult to keep aggro off a healer, you'd expect I'd run into at least one idiot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]