Rogue vs Hunter

84 Undead Rogue
I'm trying to decide whether I want to finish leveling this guy or my Hunter. Thematically and gameplay-wise I like both a lot, so I'm mainly asking about quality of life stuff.

First, how is each class performing at max level for AoE and single target damage? Is either not in a good place right now?

Second, melee vs ranged? Which is preferred for most content in terms of not being a pain in the !@# to play and failing to boss mechanics?

Third, PvP? Which class is in the best shape for BG's and arena?

Thanks for any information.
Reply Quote
92 Pandaren Hunter
Rogues. Some fights as melee are less forgiving. Parts of Horridon, for example, are a mess on the first couple of doors for melee, but generally speaking, if you're comfortable with melee, that's a non-issue. Rogues are much better damage, have a defensive raid CD, an external offensive CD and comparable self-defense.

Excluding the influence of the player behind the toon, there's very little reason to choose anything over rogue at this very moment. Things like existing group comp and buffs, gear soaking and player skill are the few factors that might make you bring a hunter. Otherwise there's really nothing compelling about my class to make you choose a hunter over a rogue.

Having said that, I understand why, even if I don't agree. Part of the developer challenge is maintaining solid class representation for all classes. Hunter rep is high, simply because it's a popular class and therefore on paper hunters are getting raid spots. Rogues on the other hand aren't as popular with players so Blizzard has made them a little stronger to encourage higher rogue representation.

Basically, Blizzard is giving you the green light to enjoy a slightly enhanced class for their benefit. Of course, when they're presence at the top end of every single boss dps ranking Blizzard will be forced to nerf it and people will drop rogue again because it's a very niche class that will never be as popular as hunters, no matter how many times they throw OP buffs and class-specific legendaries at it.

Good luck in your choice. Hunters still rock, so I think you'll be happy either way.
Edited by Karamok on 5/28/2013 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
84 Undead Rogue
Maybe you're just suggesting I stay Rogue so there won't be 1 more Hunter inflating Hunter representation? ;)

Seeing so many people roll Hunters is one of the main things that bothered me while leveling mine; I enjoy being a less common class.

Both are fun so I'd rather be the more effective of the 2, which from your perspective sounds like it would be the Rogue. Still would like to hear more opinions, but thanks for taking the time to share your insights.

Know anything about how the 2 are comparatively for PvP?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I'd go hunter, 5.3 really hurt rogues bad (nerf bat homerun)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
i have to agree with timekilling. also, this is not a good patch for rogues PvP wise either. you'll have an easier time finding rbgs as ranged dps then as melee.
Reply Quote
84 Undead Rogue
I heard Rogues got hit with some PvP nerfs, but is PvE performance effected as well?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
You can't go wrong with either. Two of the best PvP DPS classes right now in arena, and amazing in BGs.
Edited by Sajezoom on 5/28/2013 2:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
89193492507:
I'd go hunter, 5.3 really hurt rogues bad (nerf bat homerun)

PVE got more of a buff with Find Weakness buff and Revealing Strike extension, it was all PVP nerfs, which still were not bad at all.

89192292694:
I heard Rogues got hit with some PvP nerfs, but is PvE performance effected as well?

PVE was affected little.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
88904009553:
I'm trying to decide whether I want to finish leveling this guy or my Hunter. Thematically and gameplay-wise I like both a lot, so I'm mainly asking about quality of life stuff.

First, how is each class performing at max level for AoE and single target damage? Is either not in a good place right now?

Second, melee vs ranged? Which is preferred for most content in terms of not being a pain in the !@# to play and failing to boss mechanics?

Third, PvP? Which class is in the best shape for BG's and arena?

Thanks for any information.

Hands down hunter is better.

Make rogue fight on flare=win, rogue can't peel a hunter any more. save specs/gear 1 vs 1, hands down hunter pwns
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]