Is it OK to 'help' healers in leveling 5mans?

100 Human Priest
So I just got out of a Gun'drak instance with my druid. We were with a Disc Priest who cast a spell once every 10-15 seconds. I whispered him some advice, and he took it. But, he didn't keep with it. He had no mana issues (He wasn't using mana!) that I could see. I kept encouraging him, but a lot of people kept dying.

So, I switched from a Boomkin to a Resto druid, and /whispered the rest of the crew to let them know what was going on, minus the Priest. Everyone was OK with it.

We went through the instance, no more deaths. I felt bad because I was wondering if I took away and educational experience for the Priest? Then again, I just wanted to get through the instance, I hate leveling.

Do you think it's OK to basically take over as a healer as a last resort to 'get it done?' Or should I have kept going on as DPS and played dumb?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
In that particular case, I think what you did was fine. You gave the priest a solid chance, you gave them advice which didn't stick, and the other option was to continue to pile up repair bills. I don't think it is fair to simply switch and start healing without giving the healer an opportunity to improve, but if they aren't trying, and it sounds like that priest wasn't, go for it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
In that particular case, I think what you did was fine. You gave the priest a solid chance, you gave them advice which didn't stick, and the other option was to continue to pile up repair bills. I don't think it is fair to simply switch and start healing without giving the healer an opportunity to improve, but if they aren't trying, and it sounds like that priest wasn't, go for it.

The odd thing were the red flags that went up nearly instantly.

No PoM, no shields. This is a DISC priest... MAYBE he could get away without casting PoM, but no shields, ever? He would occasionally cast Holy Nova. It hit no one except himself.

I just put a theory in that it was a parent letting their child play.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You didn't try to vote kick. You offered friendly advice, and you made sure the group finished the instance. It was a win for everyone.

The alternates were much less pleasant.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
While I understand why you did it.

In the end all you did was postpone the eventual vote kicks to a later group which might cause some change in behavior after it happens enough times.

I think the advice was nice to offer. However, I have found when I have tried that in the past to more often be met with things being said back at me. So I no longer bother unless I am asked.
Reply Quote
In this situation it seems more like you were filling an empty role. I'd say what you did was just fine. Yes, it could have been an educational experience, but it shouldn't be at the expense or inconvenience of the unwilling.

If your not sure how well you will do, make it know. If you cant fulfill your role, bow out. It's best for everybody.

In this situation I would've kicked the person, there is a lot of online information about classes and they are too far in to no know what they are doing at this point. However' it being somebodies kid would make me think twice or at least feel guilty about doing it, but it's a necessary evil in my opinion.

Helping a healer (by popping form or healing instead of dps'ing) is a different story. If your just leveling, a healer shouldn't need help... it should be easy enough. In fact most times its totally unecessary because a good healer will be mindful of all their teammates situations when it comes to health and incoming damage and it's not ideal for the dps to drop because somebody is healing when they shouldn't be...

To give you peace of mind, you made a good decision all be it passive, but good nonethless; and i'm sure your group thanked you later. (I know I would have.)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
People die in 5 man leveling content?

All the time. :)
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Do you think it's OK to basically take over as a healer as a last resort to 'get it done?' Or should I have kept going on as DPS and played dumb?

Considering your alternative was to wipe over and over until people started leaving - yeah, you tried improving the priest, then gave up and just made it possible to finish up.

I thought this would be about tossing out a quick off-heal every once in a while.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I feel throwing them some advice for their healing is fine, especially if you whisper them but to pick up their slack when they obviously aren't trying and you tried to give them pointers...I believe votes to kick are in order.

I've experienced this on my lowbie and all the healer would do is dps and only heal himself though he was queue'd as a healer. If you kick them, its usually a wake up call that they can't expect to be carried through their leveling and they need to do their share of work.

Throwing out a heal here there if there's a lot of damage incoming that the healer probably couldn't keep up with, that's totally fine and understandable but them not actually making use of what they have....that is a no go.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Vote to kick would have been the best choice in this situation.

Vote to kick and then heal the group until the next healer joined the group. There is no reason to have to deal with that stuff. If he was a DPS/tank just standing there not DPSing/tanking would you have let him stay? I wouldn't have. Healers shouldn't be allowed any special treatment. He might have just gone afk and auto followed you.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
You did the right thing. Any number of things may have been wrong. If he was casting, but at long intervals, maybe he had lag, or maybe he was only throwing instants, or whatever. The point is, it was a leveling dungeon, and the point is to get it done in an efficient way. Waiting for a healer isn't always efficient.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
1 cast every 10 to 15 seconds? I'd have been suspicious of someone dual-boxing the healer, personally.

But no, you let the rest of the group know what you were doing and finished the run. That was fine IMHO. As for "stealing learning opportunity from the healer", it doesn't sound so much like a "doesn't know how" as a "something else was going on". Players who don't know how freak and do the wrong thing - they never do nothing. Doing nothing means the player is having some sort of system or configuration problems (in which case they should have dropped group!) , not paying attention at all - or dual-boxing.

<S>
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]