Open Letter

90 Blood Elf Paladin
... to people who probably don't even read the forums. Highly exaggerated blowing off of steam for the sake of your entertainment.

Dear Player,

When you walk into a public scene in a public place, sit down next to my character, and start sighing, being oblivious, and emoting about being bored while ignoring everyone else in the room you make me want to punch you through the internet.

I'm not talking about people who walk in and observe a scene before making an emote. That's fine.

This is not the you show, no one is going to drop everything and pay attention to you when we're busy having fun just because your character walked in and sighed. And no, I'm not going to respond to your second or third sigh either because you are attention-whoring yourself out for peanuts. It's like your character is too much angst for one internet. Stop doing that.

When you sit there in your emotes and complain that no one ever RPs with you it makes me want to feed you to wild bears. Yes, wild bears, or even cannibalistic furbolgs if there is such a thing. You're making yourself look like a grand !@#$ing idiot and jumping up and down on my last nerve. This behavior will not make you popular and loved, it is just going to make people hate you.

I wish you would get out of your bubble and interact with others. You are sorely mistaken on your value to this game, our night was not made when you walked in. In fact most of us have no idea who you even are and sitting there being oblivious and OOCly complaining via emotes is not correcting that.

You don't need to be the center of attention all the time and if you give others attention most will reciprocate. It's just that simple.

So you're sitting beside me, not interacting, just sighing and I'm ignoring you. I'm playing with everyone else, but not you. And the other RPers may be doing the same thing too, ignoring you. I'm not ignoring you because because you are on another server and I can't see your MRP (I don't read MRPs most of the time anyhow). I'm ignoring you because I'm not going to encourage you to use that method to initiate interaction with me.

I'm gonna whip out my clue-by-four and tell you a magic word that will get you roleplay. Ready? Ready?

"Hello." <---- Magic word. Seriously, take a fracking hint. Say something like hello to other players ICly and most of them will say hello back, and then you have RP. You can even introduce yourself. It's not so bad, really. Then react to what happens, not to what you want to happens, who knows, you might even have fun.

Invest in some Nike Air Pump Balls, have a little confidence and say hello. The worst that can happen is someone tells you to go away, in which case they're an !@# and you probably don't want to RP with them anyhow.

You'll probably be surprised just how many people will RP with you if you extend the olive branch. But sitting around sighing and complaining just makes everyone else around wish you would fall off this game.

Sincerely,
Zan's player

TL;DR: Say hello, get roleplay. Simple.
Edited by Zandrae on 5/25/2013 12:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Seconded!

Although, I have emoted on my lonesome before. But instead of sighing, my character actually watches people and listens to them simply because she is curious. Do I do it for attention? God no. Usually I actually am listening to them out of curiosity. If they acknowledge me, that's fine, but it's not the goal of it.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Usually don't have a problem with this on my server, but visting more populated one, this is a huge issue.
I hope those who do this find a great guild who's willing to curb the "me me me" habit and help them form better RP skills!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
05/25/2013 09:48 AMPosted by Zandrae
When you walk into a public scene in a public place, sit down next to my character, and start sighing, being oblivious, and emoting about being bored while ignoring everyone else in the room you make me want to punch you through the internet.

Disturbingly, there are people like that in real life, too.

Must admit: I've been one of those guys. But then we grow up. Which, I think, is your point.

I give you 8/10 on the rant scale :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
This is interesting in that I have seen it, but I do not get all bent out of shape over it. I realize that most people make their characters all angsty and emotional. I am not sure why anyone would want to do this, maybe they are being a bit over dramatic. Do you want to know how I handle it sometimes?

Billy: I am so sad, my whole life is horrible and I cannot find any friends.
Vira: Is that right? You poor thing!! Let me help you with that problem. Just step over here into my parlor.
Billy: I am so alone, no one likes me.
Vira: There, there, I can help. Just sit down here and let me examine your soul, perhaps there is something in there that needs removed. Yesssss...as I thought...you have a bad soul...it is not uncommon. I can remove it for you.
Billy: Wait, what? No!! Stay away from me!!!

Of course I gave him a chance to get away...for now. (Mwa ha ha!!)
Reply Quote
24 Night Elf Druid
*sigh*
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
*sigh*

/hammer of wrath
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Yeah don't worry, there will always be the smart donkeys thinking they will have the last word and try to pull your chain. She is alliance, hit her again for me!!
Reply Quote
43 Blood Elf Paladin
Deydraeroice walks into the room and observes the people inside, keeping an eye out for trouble.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
05/27/2013 11:24 AMPosted by Zandrae
*sigh*

/hammer of wrath

Ouch, that looked like it hurt...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
/thumbsup
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Also, people who join an RP in session and don't join in the RP, but start doing THEIR little RP game without regard to what anybody else is doing.

"I am X! I did Y! I think we should Z!" That's nice, dear, but everyone else is still talking about A, and aren't going to stop because you walked in.

I actually remember one guy who told us: ((I'm playing as my mount lol))

If you join an RP in progress, please try to pick up their story and react to it, follow their rules. Think of yourself as a guest, not the star. Usually, there IS a star or two already, and it's only out of their faith in player nature that made them decide to RP in /say instead of party or guild chat.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
It's not really complicated.

Would you walk into a real life conversation and try to force a different subject on the group? Try to upstage everyone else and make yourself the centre of attention? Those who do that kind of thing IRL are considered rude and self-absorbed and not people you want to spend time with. Well, RP is no different.

Unless you're actually RPing the type of person who does that sort of thing.... ;) But expect an appropriate IC response: shunning you.
Edited by Rottingbull on 5/27/2013 2:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
"Scene stealing" is what some of my friends used to call it.
Reply Quote
24 Night Elf Druid
05/27/2013 11:57 AMPosted by Mairethma

/hammer of wrath

Ouch, that looked like it hurt...

*rubs head*

Owwww......
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Paladin
I have found that just asking "is this seat taken" is more than enough to get involved, well at least on the very few servers that have any open RP anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
89191293031:
I have found that just asking "is this seat taken" is more than enough to get involved, well at least on the very few servers that have any open RP anyway.

Yes it is, in fact. By my imaginary friend Jim. How rude of you to assume the chair was empty. Shame on you. Go sit in the corner.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Well, what is complicated is the overcrowding of areas where people like to rp. Thanks to CRZ, now you cannot have a private conversation unless you go into an instance or fly off to a remote location, which kind of kills the whole, "I am enjoying a peaceful dinner in Silvermoon with a friend" kind of thing. Instead you are sitting there conversing and all these people keep coming up and interrupting.

Yes I know it is in the open, and in a crowded restaurant, do you go up to people in real life and sit at their table and start talking to complete strangers? That to me is rude and disruptive. I ignore such people immediately.

Now if I am sitting on the lawn outside and a stranger comes up to me and asks if I am enjoying the weather or some such inane comment I will gladly converse with them. I like walk up rp but not when I am in the middle of something. I always feel a polite whisper is better, asking if we mind if they join in on our rp. But be prepared for either a long drawn out explanation of what is happening and where your character might fit in, or a terse, "No please, its too involved for us to explain." or maybe if you are lucky, a "Sure!! We are open to new people joining us"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
88907693329:
Seconded!

Although, I have emoted on my lonesome before. But instead of sighing, my character actually watches people and listens to them simply because she is curious. Do I do it for attention? God no. Usually I actually am listening to them out of curiosity. If they acknowledge me, that's fine, but it's not the goal of it.

/Agree!

and also...

/hugs :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]