Horridon help!

90 Night Elf Death Knight
When it comes to tanking horridon im fine but the adds are a nightmare! if anyone with experience with this boss on 10 man normal could you help me with some tips for builds, techniques, anything.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
1) Have your healers and dps help you out by not running around like chickens with their heads cut off, allowing you to get the adds rounded up.

2) The third door has a ton of adds that fixate and you cannot get aggro on them.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Learning the pattern for where/when the mobs spawn helps alot.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Each door spawns a few key mobs to tank.

On each door the most important mobs are
- after a few trash from the door, 1 important mob about 20 yards from the door on the far side of the door - often aggros the other tank, taunt it over.
- 1 important add on each side of the door. Decide which side your raid will kill first before the fight. Make sure you're on that side, get aggro on the dps target while taunting the other over.
- Dinomancer. Alternates which side he spawns on on each door. Charge/taunt/attack him.

A few other things to note:
- On each door, start on the close side and move gradually to the other side each time poo spawns (sand, poison, frost orb, totem). Don't move too far, as you don't want bad stuff anywhere near your next door. Just move enough to avoid the ground stuff.
- On door #3, the little guys can't really be tanked. People should bring them in. Just worry about the big ones.
- On door #4, the casters are going to nuke random people no matter what you do. Also the bears cleave, so mainly worry about picking them up and facing them at a wall.

For dps, our goal on most doors is to kill the first key add quickly, kill one of the two key adds that spawns before the dinomancer spawns, get the dinomancer to drop his orb, and then switch off the dino and back to the last key add. The other adds will die to cleave. There are a couple of exceptions where little adds are important, but this seems to be the best for us.

On door #2, you may even want to focus more on single target just to get the first 2 venom priests down ASAP before the dino spawns. Make sure you have another interrupter on the one you're killing last.
Edited by Tappin on 5/26/2013 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated XD
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
this is how elite adds spawn btw.

-main tank - boss ---------------
------------------ 1st ----------------
- you - 2nd ----------- 3rd -------
----------------- door ---------------

the 1st elite add always jump in directly in front of the door, a little away from it.

the 2nd and 3rd add jump at the same time, at each "side" of the door.

If your add is always "behind" you (I'm usually at where the 2nd add jumps, and the raid behind me) they funnel towards you, and it makes your life much easier.

Then you simply blood boil and spread the diseases to the new adds and they'll attack you instead. Save Strangulates for the dino-mancer because he comes running from the door but usually stops (99.9% of the times out of your melee range) to channel the heal on the boss.
Edited by Leeflow on 5/26/2013 2:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you have to, flat out yell at your fellow raiders to not panic and run away if they get an add. Alternatively, you can practice for Heroic by mandating that your raid stacks on you, keeping all the adds grouped up and your AoE threat will pick them up. This, of course, requires raid awareness for things like people moving when a Sand Trap or Living Poison is dropped, and the person targeted by charge running out of the group.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
just focus on picking up the hard hitting melee adds first

On the first door its the wastewalkers, on the second its the blood guys, on the 3rd its the big ones, on the fourth its the warbears.

Once you get those the risk of people dying from add melee is low, so you can go around and pick them up.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
ONE
If you have to, flat out yell at your fellow raiders to not panic and run away if they get an add. Alternatively, you can practice for Heroic by mandating that your raid stacks on you, keeping all the adds grouped up and your AoE threat will pick them up. This, of course, requires raid awareness for things like people moving when a Sand Trap or Living Poison is dropped, and the person targeted by charge running out of the group.

Technically it is possible to get through the fight with 0 living poisons spawning by dpsing the priests fast enough that none ever spawn an Effusion. Usually doing that to all three requires massively outgearing the encounter and potentially blowing Lust on the pair of them, but the first and perhaps second should die with only one Effusion being spawned between the two of them. The third will probably get 2-3 off before the dinomancer is at 50% and it can be focused again.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
1) Have your healers and dps help you out by not running around like chickens with their heads cut off, allowing you to get the adds rounded up.

This is your main concern, one you have this sorted out your life becomes easy. Try to train your group to run towards you instead of away from. No excuses if someone is getting smacked, they will live longer by running towards you. Other than that gorefiends grasp can be helpful on the smaller adds, Outbreak with Roiling Blood is a personal favorite, but spamming heart strike works just as well.

EDIT: Another fun tactic, try to have everyone focusing one add so that once you have threat on everything else you wont need to worry about them, just tunnel the same one as the dps. Otherwise you will run after it/taunt it to get threat back and then your previous target will wander off instead. Make sure any and all tricks/misdirects are going to the add tank too.
Edited by Syrice on 5/27/2013 6:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Have hunters mis-direct you, have rogues tricks you
Save your rune weapon taunt (you have that glyphed right?) for when !@#$ is getting out of hand
dodge aoe on the ground and kite where u should
when all else fails blame the dps for being to low....
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
A few tips:
1) Save your taunt for the big adds only (dinomancer, wastewalkers, venom priests, frost lords, amani bears). Use AOE damage ability to pick up the little adds - this will work if #2 happens
2) DPS should all be attacking the same mob - use a target icon so they know which one and make sure you have agro on that one first. Doing this will allow you to easily pick up agro on all the little adds using AOE abilities.
3) DPS/Heals should stack near each other and move towards the next door only when they have to (e.g. because of sand traps, poison on ground, frost orbs, or totems).
Reply Quote
You have no idea how glad I was to find this thread and know I'm not the only one struggling with adds on this fight. By door 3 I'm ready to punch a wall. Thanks for all the tips, guys!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Im on !@#$% duty on this fight. I glyph DRW specifically for it.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
I feel your pain. I'm not sure if the little adds have threat tables. But whether they do or not, I'm thinking the the best strategy is to mostly ignore them, let the dps deal with them, and just concentrate on the big adds (3 elites + dinomancers). Not completely ignore them - lay down aoe and maybe toss some ranged attacks. But don't waste taunts on them and don't chase after them. If some break loose and attack a healer or the other tank let dps deal with them. Your main job is to control the big adds.
Edited by Murdina on 5/30/2013 2:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I feel your pain. I'm not sure if the little adds have threat tables. But whether they do or not, I'm thinking the the best strategy is to mostly ignore them, let the dps deal with them, and just concentrate on the big adds (3 elites + dinomancers).

The only adds that "don't have threat tables" are the Champions and Warriors on the Drakkari door.

Every other add follows standard threat tables.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Every other add follows standard threat tables.

Thanks for sorting that out. But I stand by what I said - if you're add tank you can't afford to go wasting taunts or chasing after little adds. If people complain about having adds on them tell them to step up the dps or run to the tank. And if there's a dozen little adds up that's a problem with the dps, not the tank.
Edited by Murdina on 5/30/2013 4:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I would disagree.

If you are the add tank, you can be exactly on the spawn point of the adds every single time (excepting that split Double Elite spawn).

Start of the fight, you're right by the little troll and basilisk spawning. You can be on the first Wastewalker jumping down by the time he jumps down. You can take him to the second little troll and basilisk spawning. You can then be at one of the double spawns, taunt the other one. You can then be at the Dinomancer spawn. Etc.

On the Gurubashi door, you know exactly where every little add is coming, because there is only one. THe only adds that don't spawn at that spot are the Venomancers, and they never spawn while a little add is also spawning. You can pick them up and be back where the little add activates with zero issue.

The only learning curve is knowing what the pattern is. Beyond that, there isn't an excuse to be running around chasing adds, because you should be more than capable of being right on top of the adds when they activate hitting them and keeping them on you.

Yes, if a Skirmisher is activated and takes a Chaos Bolt 0.2 seconds later, your Hammer of the Righteous PROBABLY won't quite compete. But there's no reason or excuse that you aren't pumping a Judgment/ShoR/AS into that add if not in the first gcd, at least in the second or third, before the add even really moves to respond to that Chaos Bolt. What you should be taking an issue with is if that CHaos Bolt is happening while a Wastewalker is sitting there at 70%.

Not because the Chaos Bolt is making it annoying for you by chunking 45% of a mob's health.
Because that Warlock is being stupid and not focusing down the add that spawns bad stuff and puts an annoying debuff on people.
Edited by Slashlove on 5/30/2013 4:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
I've been told, and many guides say, to slowly kite the elite adds away from the door. So you're slowly kiting the elites away from the door and can't melee the adds as they spawn. People are spread out, by necessity to avoid the bad stuff on the floor and since you can't get to the adds first with a melee attack are possibly going to pull aggro.

By the sound of it you probably stay close to the door without moving much (and the adds probably die a lot faster in your groups too, my last attempt on 2nd door probably had 8 adds up at least).
Edited by Murdina on 5/30/2013 6:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well based on the fact that Slashlove has killed it and you havent Murdina, I think its safe to say that (s)he knows whats up, the advice I read was sound, might be beneficial to listen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]