Does Fel Flame suck later?

82 Goblin Warlock
I just got Fel Flame on this demonology warlock. Right now it does more damage than Shadow Bolt and is instant cast. However when I look up Demonology warlock rotations for raiding the spell was simply never mentioned in the rotations.

I thought it was too good to be true that a caster class gets an instant-cast filler spell to replace Shadow Bolt. What am I missing? Does it scale differently later at 90?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Not sure how it works with Demo, but FF is not optimal for Destro because of it's mana cost. It could be similar for you guys, too. I know people used to like it because you could cast it on the move, but you can move whilst casting now, so that's pretty moot.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
What Evalain said. In Cata it was rarely used and only when you had to run around for some reason. Since we got Kiljaeden's, I am not sure if I have used it once. It is definitely not a part of any specs rotation at higher levels.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
In caster form there is no need to use void ray @ 90 as demonology however in meta form you will use Void Ray.
Reply Quote
82 Goblin Warlock
Thanks guys. Yeah I can see the meta form of Fel Flame (Void Ray) being used for AOE. At level 77 everything about it looks better than Shadow Bolt (including mana cost) that I can't believe it'd just replace Shadow Bolt like that.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
In PvP it's a staple because it doesn't open you to interruptions, and it can pretty much always cast after you've been interrupted because it's dual damage (fire and shadow) so if your fire was locked out, you can still cast it because it's shadow, and vice versa.

In PvE it has next to no uses, aside from some negligible damage while moving if you aren't using the KJC 90 talent.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Mostly for Destro PvP.

When you under pressure and one/some of multiple enemies has interrupt off CD making juking harder cuz your other CDs are down. Or locked out of fire.

It generates burning embers and extends Immolate so your benefit from bigger Backlash when melee is on top you as immolate will not fall off.

Also can be used to eat Spell Reflection with little damage to you (nothing with Ward up).

Can be combined with hard cast Chaos Bolt or Incinerate if you need to hit and run from max range. If used right after casting, both spells hit same time for a little tiny extra damage.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Fel Flame is good for one thing and one thing only.

Tagging a mob you don't want someone else to tag.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Fel Flame is good for one thing and one thing only.

Tagging a mob you don't want someone else to tag.

yeah... no you're wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock

I thought it was too good to be true that a caster class gets an instant-cast filler spell to replace Shadow Bolt. What am I missing? Does it scale differently later at 90?

Very differently. It can be your "on the move" spell, but generally isn't worth much once you get KJC at 90. And it's scaling, especially on the damage-per-mana basis is pitiful.
Edited by Annorroth on 5/27/2013 9:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warlock
Fel Flame will be replaced with an almost useless VOID RAY at level 85.

Take it off your toolbar now and spare yourself the heartache when it's replaced by VOID RAY.

Void Ray is used in Demo's AoE rotation, so it's hardly useless. But yeah, Fel Flame is almost never used in PvE at level 90.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
The only time you'll use Fel Flame is if you don't have KJC for some other fight mechanic (massive AOE).
Reply Quote
Felflame is very useful soloing Vashj when you try to farm the pet. Only way you're going to snipe down the water eles fast enough ;P
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock

yeah... no you're wrong.

Excellent counter point.
Edited by Kystah on 5/27/2013 5:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock

yeah... no you're wrong.

Excellent counter point.
The proper counter point is made several times in the other posts in this thread.
So to re-iterate on Feel's post: yeah... no you're wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Fel flame is great.
Learn when to use each and every spell--they're all good.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Fel flame works wonders when it comes to one shotting low health targets. This could be trivial enemies or objects you need to kill like totems. Also good for encounters with constant interupts.
Edited by Zauberei on 5/27/2013 6:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm surprised no one mentioned fel flame updates dots. So say you've just reapplied dots and your trinks pop/bloodlust/legendary meta/etc you can just fel flame and benefit from the buffs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
There's a good chance your tooltip is lying to you about your shadow bolt damage. If my tooltip were to be believed, shadow bolt would be doing about 75% of Fel Flame's damage, instead of the ~225% it actually does.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]