Holy Pally for Dummies

100 Tauren Warrior
Sorry, folks.

This isn't a guide. It's a REQUEST for guides.

Tried to heal a heroic on my pally, failed miserably, realized that for 90 levels I've been facerolling when pally healing, and that's just not gonna cut it in heroics.

Problem is, I'm full of bad habits and no skills. At very least, I need help figuring out when to use what, especially the cooldowns and fancy stuff.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7593619672

??
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Posting this on your pally would also help :) So people could look at your gear, spec, glyphs, etc.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Heroic instance, raid, or scenario?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Go back to character selection and select the priest icon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
88904998803:
Sorry, folks.

This isn't a guide. It's a REQUEST for guides.

Tried to heal a heroic on my pally, failed miserably, realized that for 90 levels I've been facerolling when pally healing, and that's just not gonna cut it in heroics.

Problem is, I'm full of bad habits and no skills. At very least, I need help figuring out when to use what, especially the cooldowns and fancy stuff.

Generally keep beacon on your tank
Always cast Holy Shock to -
build holy power and Illuminated shield strength

Keep a stack of 3 Eternal Flame up on tank followed by other party members depending on damage.

USE Hand of Sac ALWAYS followed by either Divine Protection or Divine Shield depending.

Take Divine Purpose talent for free procs of 3 stacks to Eternal Flame/LOD

Cast Devotion Aura when you know major magical damage is going to hit.

Use Holy Radiance sparingly followed by Holy Shoch for AoE healing.

Heal other party members with Holy Light>Divine Light>Holy Shock because these will also heal the tank with beacon.

Use Holy Prism on CD on boss/mob

Eternal Flame is a better use for holy power than Light of Dawn in most every case in a heroic. Only use excess for it.

Only cast Flash of Light when you don't have time to get off a Dive Light cast when someone is about to die.

Save LOH for extreme cases where a Flash of Light won't be cast in time.

Talent Clemency so you can cast HANDS twice (BoP two people if need or SAC)

Help interrupt mobs with Fists, Rebuke and Blinding Light

Help DPS mobs with Holy Shock and Denounce.

Watch your procs

Make sure your healing UI shows -
Your Beacon
FORBEARANCE
Eternal Flame
Illuminated Healing (I can track bubble strength this way)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
VEX
88903503315:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7593619672

??

That guide is extremely thorough but not very intuitive.

Not that I'd venture trying to write a guide. I'll give some tips though:

Paladins have a lot of spells. Know what they all do. Paladin is built on managing all your cooldowns. Your actual healing spell selection is pretty simple and is largely based on direct healing. I've even used our taunt to secure progression kills in the past.

Overhealing is turned into shields, the size of which scales with your mastery rating. With Eternal Flame, those shields have a very high absorb rate and make for a lot of mana-free healing. So prioritize secondary stats as: Spirit > Mastery > whatever.

If you play your techniques correctly, the bulk of your healing will come from mana free sources, and the bulk of your mana will be spent when you're using cooldowns for burst damage recovery.

Don't use glyph of divine plea. If you absolutely must stop casting because you don't like healing with a mortal strike sort of debuff to your heals, run up to melee and whack the boss while plea is up. You'll get even more mana.

Keep Holy Shock on cool down always and forever.

And most importantly: Always come to forums to read and ask specific questions. People love to help. Just ignore the trolls that inevitably appear.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Thanks, folks! What a great response!

OK, try this one on for size: should a level 90 tank with 500k health be taking 250k damage in one hit, from trash? Because I've been doing what folks have suggested, mostly, for 90 levels.

I did discover that the pally was rather low on spirit. That has helped.

EDIT: Deadsecsi, you get a thumbs up for post # 11. That was VERY detailed and answered quite a few questions.
Edited by Stakiyah on 7/30/2013 10:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks, folks! What a great response!

OK, try this one on for size: should a level 90 tank with 500k health be taking 250k damage in one hit, from trash? Because I've been doing what folks have suggested, mostly, for 90 levels.

I did discover that the pally was rather low on spirit. That has helped.

Not if they are using their abilities correctly. However, that doesn't account for stuns, or bad RNG if they are avoidance based.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
1) Beacon the person who is going to take the most "damage." This will often be the tank, however Pallies & DKs tend to absorb a lot, so you want to swap it to you (so you don't have to worrie about healing yourself) or a "problem child" (someone with high aggro, or can't stay out of fire) when they are tanking.

2) HS & HL are your bread & butter spells. They are near mana neutral and should be 10% heals for most players. Use these often. HS whenever it is up since it generates HoPo, HL to build absorb shields.

3) EF rocks. Layer as many people as you can. Tank gets 3 HoPo version, everyone else gets single. If DP procs, give yourself a 3 HoPo as well, followed by the "problem child."

4) If 3+ people take damage, start using HR, it's the same cost as DL, but is an AOE and procs Daybreak making your next HS a Splash AE as well. Hit the lowest person first, then swap to the next lowest. You'll have at least 2 HoPo at this point, and can either EF or LoD based on the groups' health.

5) DL is nice but it's mana intensive, and honestly if you think you need DL, you can either get away with HR or you really need FoL. The advantages of HR are outlined above. If you drop a FoL, your next HS should be coming off cool down, and you can follow with a EF if needed.

6) Don't forget your Hands. Don't forget your interrupts.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
google.com works wonders when you put in 5.3 Holy Pally guide
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]