Lil Help?

100 Dwarf Priest
Red
Hi all. Please allow me to preface this by saying that unfortunately I do not have good data for folks to look at, having forgotten to log most of the raid last night as I intended. So I guess I'm asking for some anecdotal guidance here.

I'm striving to be a well rounded disc priest, but feel like I'm struggling to keep up. I know that atonement is pretty effective, but I can't understand how when utilizing the full disc priest toolkit my healing output seems to lag behind disc priests that I outgear and really just spam smite except for emergency situations.

Are there certain non-obvious tricks that people use to squeeze out extra healing power? We're really just starting to solidify a raid group and get into raiding non-LFR and i want to address this before it's an even bigger issue. I know my gear isn't great, but I feel like at 499 I shouldn't be having a hard time healing people up on the platforms on Sha in TES.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Gonna quote a thread where I helped another player. This is about analyzing logs but it completely applies to getting the most out of your Discipline Priest:

I'm going to go over one fight with you and explain what I am looking at so that you can analyze your logs yourself.

Looking at this log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/7k3aqbubc9zr1xo8/details/23/?s=6504&e=6943

1.) Power Word: Shield use
Click on the section that says "Buffs Cast". Next to "Power Word: Shield" click on the # sign. This should display another row beneath the graph at the top indicating when PW:S was active. Since PW:S can break quickly, you can also look at "Weakened Soul" in the same manner and compare.

What I see is improved PW:S use from previous logs. There are small gaps, but we aren't robots. The true test will be to see how many Rapture returns you achieved.

2.) Rapture
For this you will need to hover over the "Details for Fatcakes" and select "Log Browser" instead. You will see every event in the raid when you pull up this page. Select "remove" at the top to clear up the field. This isn't necessary but it doesn't help what we are looking at to see the entire parse.

After clicking "remove" click "Add Query." In the Actor field type "Fatcakes" and in the Spell field type "Rapture." These fields are case sensitive so be sure to capitalize when appropriate or you will see nothing.

This is what results:
[21:41:39.373] Fatcakes gains 16098 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:41:57.562] Fatcakes gains 16098 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:42:10.152] Fatcakes gains 16098 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:42:32.788] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:43:12.256] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:43:32.263] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:43:53.127] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:44:08.274] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:44:28.121] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:44:49.136] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:45:21.419] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:45:39.133] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:46:01.976] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:46:27.206] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:46:47.792] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:47:03.600] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:47:15.835] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:47:32.153] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:47:46.057] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:48:09.554] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture
[21:48:44.708] Fatcakes gains 16092 mana from Fatcakes's Rapture

So you gained 21 Raptures during a 438 second fight. Assuming a 15 second period between Rapture procs, the highest amount you could have achieved was 29 Raptures. So you missed a few, but not terrible overall.

3.) Power Infusion, Evangelism, Archangel, Spirit Shell, and Inner Focus
Lets go back to http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/7k3aqbubc9zr1xo8/details/23/?s=6504&e=6943 . Now, we will look at "Buffs Gained" for this. I lump all these spells together because IF should typically be used with SS, and Evangelism may not be applied when SS is active due to maximizing PoH casts. PI is often used to push out an extra PoH during SS.

From the first glance, you will notice you have only 74% uptime on Evangelism. This could probably stand to improve more, but lets continue. Click on the # to display Evangelism below the timeline.

Now lets look at Archangel. When you click on the # to display it, you can see AA was used fairly regularly; however, the dropping of Evangelism stacks didn't correspond to AA use at times and sometimes AA was used, Evangelism was dropped, and it took a while to build Evangelism again.

Now lets look at Spirit Shell and Inner Focus. If you want to see the Spirit Shell you cast on other players, you will have to look at Buffs Cast. For now it can suffice to look at the SS stacking buff on your character (Its the tooltip that says "Priest (Discipline)" in it). You used Spirit Shell 4 times during a 7 minute fight. It really should be used on or near CD to time with Rampage/other large hits on this fight (green head puke hitting ground, for example).

Inner Focus was also used at seemingly odd times. At first you used it with Spirit Shell, which is excellent, but afterwards it did not coincide with it. In fact it seemed like it was macroed into something else or hit on cooldown without regard to optimizing its use during Spirit Shell. (Maybe the use was justified, like DA application on a tank for example, but I don't have time to dig through logs to understand atm).

PI use was good at the start, then you seemed to have forgotten about it until the end. Perhaps it was held off as a cooldown during a later Rampage? But you didn't use Spirit Shell when it was available anyways at that time.

4.) Holy Fire/PW:So
Again, spec into PW:So. It is far more regen than Mindbender for Disc.

Go into "Buffs Cast" and click the # sign next to Holy Fire in the Debuffs column. Looks like you aren't casting it on CD and the lulls in its use don't always correspond to when Spirit Shell was being applied.

5.) Prayer of Mending
Click on the # next to Prayer of Mending on the Buffs Cast page. It does not appear that you used it during every Rampage.

Berserking use looked good with SS application for Rampages.

PW:Barrier could have been used earlier in the fight and then again later in the fight as well.

So, while it appears that you did improve your PW:S and AA use, it seems like you still have a lot to go. Have a look at your other fights and see if you can pinpoint other things to improve now that you have a general overview of what to look for.

From: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3778&start=10#p32893

Hopefully this can help you. I'd also recommend having boss timers, like Deadly Boss Mods, if you don't. Being able to see when big bad boss ability is going to occur can help you with Spirit Shell application.

Basically you want to use Spirit Shell, Archangel, Inner Focus, and Power Infusion on CD or as close to CD as possible. I personally reserve IF for Spirit Shell application or DA application to a tank via GH, so I may use it every 60 sec instead of every 45.
Edited by Ashleycakez on 5/24/2013 8:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]