i think i broke my prot warrior =(

90 Human Warrior
i don't know what i'm doing wrong but i'm just having a terrible time holding threat, especially on the horridon doors when i know that i should be having no problems with the adds. i drop my mocking banner and as soon as its gone the adds switch right on to my dps. we have several people pulling over 100k, but i don't think i should be having this much difficulty. any suggestions?

*edit- until recently my expertise was at 9%, i'm at the hard cap now, but i still feel like i'm having threat issues.
Edited by Jèsy on 5/26/2013 1:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
i drop my mocking banner and as soon as its gone the adds switch right on to my dps
Mocking banner doesn't taunt, it fixates. A taunt will bring its threat up so that, after the taunt effect expires, it sticks to you (Unless someone outthreats you again), whereas a fixate doesn't change the threat at all, it just forces it to attack you for the duration of the fixate. After the fixate ends, if you haven't generated enough threat to get the mob to stick to you, it'll go back to its original target.

Also. Bloodbath and Dragon Roar.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
i realize the banner is just a fixate, but in the 30 seconds its up, i have everything grouped up, and should be building enough threat to keep the adds on me, but i just can't seem to do that. and on single target fights, i'll taunt off our main tank, and after the taunt wears off, his melee is enough to pull threat back to him.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
his melee is enough to pull threat back to him.
That's a bit of a "your other tank needs to hold up and let you generate threat" issue. They shouldn't be attacking full-speed right after you fight, especially early on in the fight because they have a crap-ton more vengeance than you.

Also. Bloodbath and Dragon Roar. Seriously. If a boss swings at you once or twice, you'll have enough Vengeance for your Roar to hit for 200k+ damage easily, then you have a dot ticking for 30% of that on top of that...
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Can't hold aggro on Horridon adds? Intervene the tank that's on the boss; now you've got 50k vengeance, or more. Adds should treat you with a bit more respect now.

And agreed with Waniou, except I don't think I've ever seen a Dragon Roar hit so small.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
Which adds are you talking about specifically? The third door (Drakkari) only have one set of adds that are regularly tankable, and those are the Frozen Warlords. The Warriors and Champions fixate on random targets and nothing can break that, not even taunts.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I think its normal not being able to hold aggro on ALL adds on this fight. Atleast in LFR so i wouldn't worry too much about that.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Which adds are you talking about? The Drakkari small adds don't have much of an aggro table.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Horridon adds aren't too bad. What I'd do for the first door is attack Horridon before they spawn so I build up more rage, charge the first set of adds, thunder clap, cleave, run to where the wastewalker spawns next, taunt the wastewalker that drops closer to the Horridon tank, charge the next set of adds that come out of the door, thunderclap, shockwave. Might lose aggro on 1 or 2 but it's going to happen considering we don't have a constant aoe threat move that sits on the ground like pallies or dk's. 2nd door I'd wait to shield slam the first add, charge to the first priest, run back to the next warrior add, charge one of the next priests to spawn and then throw my mocking banner near the door. Thunderclapping, cleaving, shockwaving and taunting to keep them all on me. 3rd door you're only effective against the frost warrior's. Sure you can stun the smaller adds but they don't have a threat table. 4th door I'd charge the protector, pummel the caster, wait for the first bear, shield slam him, thunder clap. When the next 2 bears came out I'd throw down my mocking banner again. I always found this part to be the most chaotic.

Sucks that they removed our challenging shout :(
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Oh and I would HIGHLY suggest using Impending Victory or Enraged Regeneration over Second Wind. Your preference...but that's the worst choice of the 3. You might want to try Shockwave over Dragon's Roar as well :D AoE stun every 20 seconds (if you hit 3 or more targets) is more helpful, especially for Horridon adds!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
89192491968:
You might want to try Shockwave over Dragon's Roar as well :D AoE stun every 20 seconds (if you hit 3 or more targets) is more helpful, especially for Horridon adds!

ok i'm not a troll or anything, but after looking at your gear and every single post i've seen from you in the last week it appears you have no place giving advice on tanking. This is the second time i've seen you telling people to cleave. that is the worst idea i've ever heard. You do realize revenge hits more targets than cleave, and GENERATES rage dont you? Also shockwave is absolute !@#$ except on tortos adds.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
89192192005:
89192491968:
You might want to try Shockwave over Dragon's Roar as well :D AoE stun every 20 seconds (if you hit 3 or more targets) is more helpful, especially for Horridon adds!

ok i'm not a troll or anything, but after looking at your gear and every single post i've seen from you in the last week it appears you have no place giving advice on tanking. This is the second time i've seen you telling people to cleave. that is the worst idea i've ever heard. You do realize revenge hits more targets than cleave, and GENERATES rage dont you? Also shockwave is absolute !@#$ except on tortos adds.

What is it about his gear aside from the one missing enchant that you take such offense to? Shockwave is perfectly acceptable for horridon. And you realize ultimatum works for cleave too right?
Edited by Xiic on 5/28/2013 9:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
89192492041:
What is it about his gear aside from the one missing enchant that you take such offense to? Shockwave is perfectly acceptable for horridon. And you realize ultimatum works for cleave too right?

wrong meta gem, nowhere near expertise cap, unenchanted gear, AND COLOSSUS. Yes i am fully aware that cleave is free with ultimatum proc but he never said that and he made no mention at all of using revenge. If you dont see a problem with his gear you are blind O_o
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
89195692064:
89192492041:

wrong meta gem, nowhere near expertise cap, unenchanted gear, AND COLOSSUS. Yes i am fully aware that cleave is free with ultimatum proc but he never said that and he made no mention at all of using revenge. If you dont see a problem with his gear you are blind O_o

she* her* Wrong Meta gem? Check Icy Veins...it shows Austere Primal Diamond until you get the legendary. It also lists Rivers Song OR Colossus as your weapon enchant. Last time I had checked Icy Veins it didn't say to go full exp cap but now that it says you need to, it will obviously be something that I'm changing. You're still not at exactly 15%, so don't be such a jerk. It's a game. Sorry that I don't immerse myself in multiple websites, constantly reading up on my class. ZOMG I DON'T HAVE MY CHEST OR SHIELD ENCHANTED BECAUSE I'VE HARDLY LOGGED ON RECENTLY. I MUST BE THE WORST PLAYER IN THE GAME LOLOLOLOL. Tiny things like that are easily fixed and don't make or break you. You can't say I have no place giving advice because of these tiny things. I've been playing since vanilla. You didn't need all these macros and addons that make half of you elitists "pro". I've never once had a complaint about my tanking or skill. If it were such an issue, you think I'd have people that I actually play with !@#$%ing at me. Not losers on the forums that have nothing better to do then nitpick. All I was trying to do was help this player out. Excuse me for not putting "ONLY WITH ULTIMATUM PROCZZZZ!!!!" for Cleave and throwing Revenge in there. I was giving a basic rundown of what works for me. I didn't say "ok, only use these skills and it'll be ez mode". I also didn't mention using shield barrier or block. Gonna nitpick about that too? Some of these skills are common sense use....
Edited by Moondra on 5/28/2013 10:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
89195692064:
89192492041:

The difference in meta is negligible at best. In fact, I don't even remember which of them maths out to be better. I'm using a dps meta, are you going to make fun of me too?

His unenchanted gear is a viable critique but colossus is really not that big of a deal. If you were really critiquing his gear you'd mention that instead of the crappy tanking trinket from dominance offensive, he should get the expertise trinket from shado-pan assault which if I'm not mistaken, he has the rep to purchase.

Check Icy Veins...it shows Austere Primal Diamond until you get the legendary.

To be fair, Icy Veins is hit and miss.
Edited by Xiic on 5/28/2013 10:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
If you have adds going everywhere on horridon,the problem is not completely with you. You need to talk to your raid about focus fire. Every raid member should set an assist macro for you and the other tank (or keep you on focus and show 'target of target').

When adds start to spawn all dps should know which target to go for first. That should be the one you taunt and hit once or twice. The others you can gather up via revenge, thunderclap and cleaves when they proc.

Use your charge to get to adds that come out in different spots and intervene back to the group.

Shockwave is not a bad choice for add duty on horridon, but considering you spend more than half the fight on 2 or fewer mobs, I still prefer dragon roar (popping reck, skull banner, bloodbath, dragon roar and spamming execute at the end results in MASSIVE amounts of damage).

Also, don't forget when you are gathering adds to use heroic leap when you can. Often if I drop mocking banner I'll heroic leap the min distance which is just to the other side of the add pack. This is a nice burst of aoe damage that snaps up more threat.

Warriors have plenty of tools to do add duty, but the best tool they have is a cooperative group of dps. Make sure your dps are not just pew pewing at anything that moves. There should be priority targets.

For example on door 2, all dps know that the first venom priest is #1 priority and needs to die asap. I know this as well so I target and taunt immediately. This allows dps to simply open up on her, full force. A shield slam, revenge, devastate before fixate from taunt wears off is all I need to keep threat. right about the time she dies, 2 more venom priests drop down. All dps know that when facing the door, the venom priest to the right is our priority target. While we're killing the first venom priest I'm kiting it to the spot of the next venom priest. When it drops I taunt it immediately and hit it. On 25 man, we have another tank pick up the 3rd venom priest and bring it over. On 10 man, you can hit the one to the right, heroic leap to the one on the left and intervene back to the pack of players to keep threat on the first one again. You can do all this w/out worrying about losing threat because you know where you need to put the bulk of your threat. And your dps can handle this w/out losing dps waiting for you to gather stuff up because they know where your threat will be.
Edited by Khahan on 5/28/2013 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
89192892158:
89195692064:

The difference in meta is negligible at best. In fact, I don't even remember which of them maths out to be better. I'm using a dps meta, are you going to make fun of me too?

His unenchanted gear is a viable critique but colossus is really not that big of a deal. If you were really critiquing his gear you'd mention that instead of the crappy tanking trinket from dominance offensive, he should get the expertise trinket from shado-pan assault which if I'm not mistaken, he has the rep to purchase.

Check Icy Veins...it shows Austere Primal Diamond until you get the legendary.

To be fair, Icy Veins is hit and miss.

When I was raiding, I was waiting for the trinket off Council. That's why I still have the Dominance Offensive one. Now that I'm no longer raiding, that's going to be my next use of valor. Icy Veins is hit and miss, yes, but you could also say that about any other website like MMO-Champion or some things people post here on the forums. As you mentioned, you're using a dps meta, that dude is using the dodge one and I'm using the stam. I've always seen prot warriors using the stam one but, 3 different prot warriors, 3 different meta's. Not that big of a deal >.>
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
89192092196:
Tiny things like that are easily fixed and don't make or break you. You can't say I have no place giving advice because of these tiny things.

Actually, you can. Considering we are all strangers and have nothing to go by but what we see to determine if the advice being offered has any weight, then we absolutely have the right to go by the small things. If you don't take the time to do all the small things right or only reference the fact that you simply do what you do because icy-veins says so, then there is very little weight your advice carries. The problem is, even if that advice is right, people who don't know anybody still may not follow it because they look at you and see these issues.

Take, on the other hand, posters like Lowmaine and Waniou. Anybody who spends a semi-decent amount of time on these boards knows that they know their stuff. I can trust that their advice at least comes from experience and knowledge of the inner workings of the class. That doesn't mean I blindly take their advice. But it does mean if I come to the boards with a question and they answer it and you answer it, I'll test out their recommendation first assuming its most likely right.

So you can rant and rave all you want about how little effort you put into knowing your class but it doesn't mean we have to accept your advice or shouldn't discount you when you demonstrate this fact by missing the little things.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
89194992588:
89192092196:
Tiny things like that are easily fixed and don't make or break you. You can't say I have no place giving advice because of these tiny things.

Actually, you can. Considering we are all strangers and have nothing to go by but what we see to determine if the advice being offered has any weight, then we absolutely have the right to go by the small things. If you don't take the time to do all the small things right or only reference the fact that you simply do what you do because icy-veins says so, then there is very little weight your advice carries. The problem is, even if that advice is right, people who don't know anybody still may not follow it because they look at you and see these issues.

Take, on the other hand, posters like Lowmaine and Waniou. Anybody who spends a semi-decent amount of time on these boards knows that they know their stuff. I can trust that their advice at least comes from experience and knowledge of the inner workings of the class. That doesn't mean I blindly take their advice. But it does mean if I come to the boards with a question and they answer it and you answer it, I'll test out their recommendation first assuming its most likely right.

So you can rant and rave all you want about how little effort you put into knowing your class but it doesn't mean we have to accept your advice or shouldn't discount you when you demonstrate this fact by missing the little things.

LOL! Look at my toon now. Exp cap and got the 2 enchants I was missing. Took a whole 5 mins. My point exactly of how quickly and easily things can be changed. Sorry but I don't think what advice I can give should be discredited, basically saying "dont listen to her!!!" because I'm not a regular poster or perfectionist. With the length of time I've played and the experience I do have, it's not cool to just write me off. Over the years more and more players have become reliant on websites, addons and macro's to do everything for them. If I was doing something wrong, I wouldn't be main tanking in new content, when I have the opportunity to do so. I'm a more casual player and have been for years. Real life does come first to some people, you know. And I'd like to assume the OP is more casual as well considering he's on Horridon.

Unlike you and Allnitebaby, I clicked and posted on this thread to help a fellow player. All you 2 have done is try to rip me apart. Sorry but when I'm trying to help somebody, sure I'll armory them, but I don't waste my time doing the same for every other person that writes a response.

Also, since we're all big on critiques in this thread, you sir, are using second wind...enough said.
Edited by Moondra on 5/28/2013 12:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Yes, Im using second wind because I use it to run 5 man heroics for vp. Its a no-thought, auto pilot ability. I tell the healer to sit back, dps and help speed things up. If I get low, second wind with shield barrier/block means I won't die if the healer is tunneled on dps'ing to make us go even quicker. Enough said?

I don't use for raids, though.

As for 'just ripping you,' I think I gave some pretty sound advice further up. One of the more detailed reviews in fact of how to get adds on horridon.

And if you thought I was 'just ripping you' then you completely missed the point. Maybe, instead of sitting back and claiming how pro you are because of how long you've played and that we should all listen to because of that, if you would actually take into consideration what others are telling you, you'd improve more.

My point was - on these boards, any person will only be taken as seriously as they present themselves. So whether your advice was valid or not, the general populace will not pay attention to you because the way you present yourself shows a lack of preparedness, a lack of awareness about your toon and a lack of the willingness to learn and improve yourself. We can't see your years of experience. All we can see is what you do w/ that experience.

I give plenty of advice on these boards. Sometimes I'm wrong and I'm willing to admit that and listen to those who are right. I also present my advice with a bit more backing me up than, "I've played since tbc so I know what I'm talking about." Allnitebaby is ripping you. I'm pointing how you can improve.

Now, you can throw another fit, or you can learn from this and maybe next time you have some good advice (because your post #9 was good advice), people will listen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]