Understanding Vengence

90 Human Warrior
I really dont understand how Vengeance works and feel the need to ask, i have several toons ive tanked with and noticed this on both. When im tanking and actively taking damage my Vengeance amount will drop periodically in the middle of its duration. This has been most noticeable while running between packs but ive seen it happen in the middle of a fight as well. To be clear, the amount of vengeance i have build up will decrease while its duration isnt over for some time.

Is this normal mechanic for vengeance and can someone explain to me a little about how this mechanic works, also how vengeance its self works?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Yes, that's normal. The amount of vengeance you have is equal to 2% of the damage you've taken in the last 20 seconds (Or so says the tooltip, it's a bit more quirky than that). If over 20 seconds, you take 100k damage, you'll get 2k vengeance. If in the next 20 seconds, you only take 50k damage, your vengeance will drop to 1k vengeance, and so on. It keeps recalculating based on the last 20s.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I really dont understand how Vengeance works and feel the need to ask, i have several toons ive tanked with and noticed this on both. When im tanking and actively taking damage my Vengeance amount will drop periodically in the middle of its duration. This has been most noticeable while running between packs but ive seen it happen in the middle of a fight as well. To be clear, the amount of vengeance i have build up will decrease while its duration isnt over for some time.

Is this normal mechanic for vengeance and can someone explain to me a little about how this mechanic works, also how vengeance its self works?

Vengeance refreshes whenever you get hit by something/dodge/parry. The formula is something like:

(c*<unmitigated damage taken>) + (<current vengeance>*<duration of current vengeance buff in seconds>/20),

where c is a constant. I believe it's currently .018, so you get 1.8% of unmitigated damage added to your vengeance every time you get hit (dodges/parries will act as if the mob had hit you for vengeance purposes). That said, you also LOSE vengeance, because the second part of the formula decays your current vengeance based on how long it's been since you were hit. So if the bad guy hits you every 2 seconds, you need to gain 10% of your current vengeance every time he swings in order to keep pace.

An example. Bob the mob is swinging at Frank the tank for 10000 unmitigated damage. Frank has 18 seconds left on his vengeance buff and 2000 venegance. What happens?

(0.018*10000)+(2000*18/20) = (180+1800) = 1980

So yes, it's quite possible to lose vengeance even when you get hit, because you aren't taking in enough damage to outpace the decay. (And what's probably happening when it lowers between packs is that you have a DoT effect on you that isn't coming near enough to outpace decay).
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Very helpful, Thank you both.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]