New tank, need guidance

So im a fairly new tank, and I was wondering if i was going it right. What i do is i go in, hit an aoe or two, and occasionally press tab to check aggro, and taunt if someone else pulls aggro. Am i doing it right? Or should i be consitiintaly pressing tab and going through the mobs? If not tab the click? Plz help
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Get tidy plates or use the default floating nameplates. They will let you know immediately if you have lost aggro on something in an aoe situation.
Reply Quote
While leveling, AoE spamming will be sufficient.
I also second the Tidy Plates advice.
Reply Quote
How will the tidy plates tell me if i lost aggro? I just installed them, and i want to know more aboutt hem before I enter a dungeon.
Reply Quote
There should be a threat plates buried in there somewhere. Forgive me for not remembering, it had been a while since I set mine up.

But it will make health bars of mobs not targeting you larger/red and ones you have threat on will be green. If it's the inverse, you have it flagged as a DPS/Healer role.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
So im a fairly new tank, and I was wondering if i was going it right. What i do is i go in, hit an aoe or two, and occasionally press tab to check aggro, and taunt if someone else pulls aggro. Am i doing it right? Or should i be consitiintaly pressing tab and going through the mobs? If not tab the click? Plz help

Don't tab. Get tidy plates and tidy plates: threat plates addons (2 that work together). It will color code name plates based on who is aggro on you and who is not. When one turns red (not aggro on you), click the nameplate and taunt.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/tidy-plates
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/tidy-plates-threat-plates

Make sure you tell tidy plates to use threat plates as your current module. At that point, nameplates should color red/green based on aggro and whether you're a tank or dps.

As a paladin, I usually start with consecrate just before the pull, avenger's shield, hammer of the righteous, holy prism on myself (great AE if cast on you) and then holy wrath.

I love holy prism. I reverse how it's used with a macro:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod][@player] Holy Prism

If I press it normal, it heals me and AEs everything around. If I press a mod key with it, it hurts my target a tad more and heals multiple people. I find myself using the self cast 90% of the time: it's always nice to get a self heal as a tank, the dps becomes AE, and the difference of damage on your current target is small. I mostly only swap it on single targets during group up and heal phases.

A lot of that will come later, but add the pieces as you get them.
Edited by Tappin on 5/26/2013 10:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]