How Similar is Unholy to Affliction?

90 Undead Warlock
Hello all you Death Knights!

Due to our raid composition lately we've had between 2-3 locks in a the same time, 1 priest, and 2 paladins. Thus, I have to roll against 5 people for tier tokens. I roll against 4 people for off pieces and weapons. So for the sake of my sanity of trying to get gear... I was going to reroll to DK.

So my question, how similar is Unholy to Affliction? I know for sure I wont be missing MLG if I make the switch. Do your DoTs tick decently hard? Any DKs make the switch from Lock to DK?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!
~Genobee
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Unholy Is some what the same in the since that we are a dot and pet class. We don't relly on moves that boost the damage our dots do but are more of a class that has to watch their buffs,procs and pets to max their damage out put. then doing everything we can to Keep or Max out dots and spread them to others. So our dots do hit harder but we also have to keep applying them to keep them getting stronger. we also have to manage our dots to keep those dots alive for as long as possible to max out our damage and babysit Timmy who is a monster in damage but as squishy as we are. so you can see some nice similarity but in the end you will see a lot of differences.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Unholy Is some what the same in the since that we are a dot and pet class. We don't relly on moves that boost the damage our dots do but are more of a class that has to watch their buffs,procs and pets to max their damage out put. then doing everything we can to Keep or Max out dots and spread them to others. So our dots do hit harder but we also have to keep applying them to keep them getting stronger. we also have to manage our dots to keep those dots alive for as long as possible to max out our damage and babysit Timmy who is a monster in damage but as squishy as we are. so you can see some nice similarity but in the end you will see a lot of differences.

It generally sounds the same when you put it that way. I just dont have to babysit my pet as much. Hopefully I can get into Pandaria tonight with my DK who is sitting at lvl 72. Thanks for the reply!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Affliction is to Unholy as apples are to oranges.

While they're both DoT classes, they're immensely different. Unholy has a different resource, more advanced pet management, melee, and an arguably easier means of reapply diseases.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight

Well said... I couldn't say it better myself.

... well maybe I could.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
It generally sounds the same when you put it that way. I just dont have to babysit my pet as much. Hopefully I can get into Pandaria tonight with my DK who is sitting at lvl 72. Thanks for the reply!

I used to main an afflock and I don't play UH because the basic fundamental of most DoT classes is intact. The rotation in practice might be different, but the fundamental mechanics feel the same imo. You have more fillers and more CDs, but you don't have to worry about maintaining your DoTs as much due to a critical move in your skillset that allows you to extend the duration of your current DoTs. But the critical things will feel familiar: keeping track of your pet, applying DoTs with a maximum of buffs/procs/uptime, and correct resource management (I think a fair comparison can be made between managing runes and Soul Shards).

05/24/2013 11:51 AMPosted by Alayder
We don't relly on moves that boost the damage our dots do but are more of a class that has to watch their buffs,procs and pets to max their damage out put

Meh, I disagree with this part because Affliction does do this a lot (gaming Soul Shards for Lightweave+Elegon trinket, Woosholay's, etc)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]