why so much spirit???

90 Human Paladin
Was wondering if someone could tell me why every one is stacking so much spirit.. i know that is you look at my armory you will see i have 2 regen trinkets but i have been trying to get rid of spirit for months now.

i have (at the time of posting this thread) 7.3k spirit and it still seems quite high considering that in some fights i find my self spamming flash of light cause the boss is at 15% health cause i still have 80% mana...

i was hoping someone could clarify why people are still stacking spirit...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
* not everyone is as geared as you
* not everyone's raid team is as evidently as good as avoiding damage as yours

Stacking spirit is still the safest bet for any healer unless you are really confident in your gear and your raid group.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
1) You have a meta gem
2) Depends on your healing comp (if you have a MTT in your raid to suppliment)
3) Depends on raid size/assignments/spell selection

Personally i heal mostly with a mw so i am doing a lot of DL casting for tanks. That and my gear is still a bit behind the curve as i have only been playing this toon for a month. It is pretty mana intensive.

On a seperate note if you feel you still have too much spirit grab GoI. I am going to run that once my gear gets a little better. Tried it out on Ji-Kun this week and it returned 78,000 mana over the fight with my pathetic crit level.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
1. You have a Meta gem
2. Not many healers have your type of gear
3. Your group is probably better at avoiding dmg.
4. Divine Hymn if you need it
5. You are stacking heavy into mastery, which means you can afford to cast more mana efficient spells.

On a side note, as my gear level has increased, I am also starting to replace some of my spirit gems. Looking at your profiles and logs, I will probably just swap out gems completely though. It seems to be working out for you.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
* not everyone's raid team is as evidently as good as avoiding damage as yours

3. Your group is probably better at avoiding dmg.

*Blush* oh you guys
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
2) Depends on your healing comp

*Blush* Oh, you guys!! You're too much!!
Edited by Adriael on 5/24/2013 7:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's all pref, I see alot of 10man pallies go full on mastery tho. I don't raid 10man so I cant comment on that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
not everyone is as geared as you

i look at the holy paladins in the top end guilds and see alot of blue 320 sprit gem

but thank you all for you input... not sure what a druid and hunter are doing in our sacred forums...

i guess i was more worried that divine light spam or HR spam became alot more.... viable.. than other methods of healing

Edit - proof of my work

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/Strydem/simple
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/Aladya/simple
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightnings-blade/Smirk/simple
Edited by Holysack on 5/24/2013 8:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Well, I bet once you get to the higher end fights where there is a ton of healing needed, that spirit really comes into play.

I stack spirit so much because some fights it really helps, even though recently with how much my own gear has improved I see your point. Last night, bosses were dying with me at like 60% + mana, bosses like Qon and Magera.

Anyway, I would rather have 60% mana and a heals that hit for a tad less, rather then have 3% mana with heals that hit for a tad more.

Not to mention, our resto shaman went dps. =( No more MTT.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If i had your gear and my holy socks healed for 10 million. I wouldnt stack spirit either.

EDIT:
haha, holy shocks.
Edited by Bubbletruble on 5/24/2013 9:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I DEEM THEE SOCKS TO BE HOLY.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Last night, bosses were dying with me at like 60% + mana

I'm trying to find the problem here but I don't see it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

the problem is there is still potential to do more and finishing a boss with all your mana is like holding off your dps cd's cause you think the boss will die anyway. the more confortable the kill is, the easier or more comfortable it will be the next time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Not everyone may be as "efficient" as you or have the same heal partners.

My efficiency is horrible. I run about 10k sprit pre-flask. That's my comfort level. As DPS in my guild has gone up, I've had more mana left over, so I adjust accordingly.

Gear level helps as well. Raw power, tier set bonuses, and meta gems etc. These all come into play. I've seen some pallies run as low as 6k, and some as high as 15k.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
What Holysack said. It's not that the healing was low or anything, because it wasn't. It is just with that much mana left I feel I can do a lot more then what I did. Getting into the habit of pushing that envelope to where you are using most of your mana as a holy paladin is what seperates the men from the boys.

Take Tortos for example, with the amount of spirit I have, I can afford to overheal a bunch before a stomp to put mastery bubbles across the raid, if I wasn't using the Eternal flame method. It equivilates to less damage being taken, and leads to you being higher on the charts.

Same thing goes for Qon, overheal before Unleashed Flame, and before Fist Smash. When everyone is stacked, just use the AoE rotation. Of course, only do this if you have the regen to afford it. If not, use a more Eternal Flame approach.

Even tho we run with 2, and sometimes 3 priests in our raids (We run 25m), they spirit shell before that stomp and end up topping the chart because of it. We can do the same thing to some extent.

Rampage, Static Shock, Caustic Gas, Quills, Lightning Storm, that method works on all those mechanics. Pre-AoE healing on Melee works wonders.

With all that spirit, don't ever catch yourself just standing there, even if the raid isin't taking damage during that global, because the raid will be taking damage at some point in the future, might as well bubble them up.

I'm typing too much. I'm sorry. TL:DR, --> IF <- you have a bunch of extra mana regen, throw out some overhealing to put more mastery bubbles up. Become good at that, along with actually healing damage, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

P.S. This is coming from a 25m standpoint, not so sure this would work so well in 10m unless everyone is within 10 yards of each other at points were you don't have to be spread. This method doesn't work on a fight like Twins.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have a good example for why I like so much spirit.

Normally my guild will run double hpallie because its amazing having 2 beacons and other things..

Anyways on H durumu 25man when color blind phase comes up tanks take ALOT of damage and I end up spamming flash heal/divine light procs like crazy to keep them up. That eats alot of mana because at the same time I have to AoE heal for raid damage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

the problem is there is still potential to do more and finishing a boss with all your mana is like holding off your dps cd's cause you think the boss will die anyway. the more confortable the kill is, the easier or more comfortable it will be the next time.

Can't always assume a certain amount of healing will be required in a fight.

!@#$ happens and people take more damage sometimes. If you're ending a fight with 60% mana that is 180k - which is all of 6-7 flash of lights, divine lights, or holy radiances. In the grand scheme of things your mana is dependent on your raid. If bosses are dying then you're powerful enough as it is provided tanks and raid members are not dying to unavoidable damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]