Need some advice

90 Tauren Shaman
I've been running LFR MV lately. On the healing meters, I'm usually sitting first to second on HPS and overall healing done, but I'm having some issues.

1. I'm usually finishing fights with 50k-100k mana left, except for the last boss (Will of the Emperor), where I go OoM three-fourths of the way through the fight. Is this a spirit issue or bad spell selection issue?

2. My overhealing done on Recount is nuts; I've seen it as high as 67%. How do I go about lowering this?

3. Other people snipe my heals all the time, which may contribute to my overhealing. If I use a Haste flask, I don't get sniped as often. Should I change my stat priorities to make Haste more prevalent? (Right now, I'm using Spirit > Int > Crit > Haste = Mastery, I usually heal 5-mans and people don't get too low healthwise, but I do keep a nice amount of Mastery for LFR/world boss healing.)

4. Besides HTT, what do I have for raid-wide AoE heals? When the whole raid takes damage, HR and CH doesn't feel like enough.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I can't speak to shaman strategies, but I can tell you right now, you're going to overheal. A lot.
And your level of haste won't make one difference.

How do you lower your overhealing?
Be more aware of when/how often damage is comming out and what type of healers are healing with you.

Actually scratch that. You're a resto shaman. You want to drop healing rain whenever possible no matter what I think?

You're just going to overheal a stupid amount. That's what your class (and mine!) do.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/26/2013 04:33 AMPosted by Nahuul
Besides HTT, what do I have for raid-wide AoE heals?

SLT+Ascendence asplodes the meters.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
You want to drop healing rain whenever possible no matter what I think?

Yep. If I can, it gets positioned over the tanks and melee group; they seem to take the most damage.

SLT+Ascendence asplodes the meters.

I never thought about using those two together. Thanks!

I'm usually finishing fights with 50k-100k mana left, except for the last boss (Will of the Emperor)...

Looked over a log I had from that fight; I'm spamming CH way too much and not using HR on CD for some reason. Also forgetting to recall my totems (lost mana) and being stupid with CDs in general.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
lfr...

now that that's over with,

obviously your number suck... YOUR A SHAMAN

your ONLY purpose in life is to be enhance or stack spirit for mana tide
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
lfr...

... is being used as a tool for me to learn how to play my class and role better, since I've overgeared heroics. :P

your ONLY purpose in life is to be enhance or stack spirit for mana tide

Unfortunately. :<
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm usually finishing fights with 50k-100k mana left

That's good. It means that you can move into a normal MSV and heal the same way. Normal encounters typically last longer, so you'll need that extra longevity.

except for the last boss (Will of the Emperor), where I go OoM three-fourths of the way through the fight. Is this a spirit issue or bad spell selection issue?

Will is an unusually long fight for LFR. It's also an odd fight in that the only really dangerous damage for most of the fight is tank damage. Try healing more conservatively than you usually do; don't let the tanks die, but save most of your mana for Titan Gas.

My overhealing done on Recount is nuts; I've seen it as high as 67%. How do I go about lowering this?

Don't worry about it. Seriously.

I would tell any healer of any class not to worry about their LFR overhealing; it's essentially impossible to do any meaningful healing in LFR without doing a boatload of overhealing. But shamans in particular should never worry about it.

Imagine, as an example, that you cast a Healing Rain on 6 people, and every tick is fully effective with no overheal. That's completely worth it, right? No wasted healing potential? Super efficient?

Now imagine that 14 full-health people go stand in that healing rain. It's still ticking for the same amount on the 6 injured targets, because full-health targets no longer count toward diminishing returns. So it does exactly the same effective healing. But now it's ticking for the same amount on 14 full-health people too, so it's running 70% overhealing.

In the second example, there's still no wasted healing. World of Logs will record 70% overheal, and Recount will record 233% overheal (the way Recount measures OH percentages is really weird), but the spell is still at 100% of its maximum theoretical efficiency.

Real-world situations aren't quite that clear-cut, but something like the second scenario is going to happen a lot. As a shaman, you cannot gauge your efficiency by your overhealing. Not even to the extent that other healers can (and it's not very good for us either). So just stop worrying about it.

05/26/2013 04:33 AMPosted by Nahuul
Other people snipe my heals all the time, which may contribute to my overhealing. If I use a Haste flask, I don't get sniped as often. Should I change my stat priorities to make Haste more prevalent?

No. Never change your stat priorities to win a sniping war. If you must fight a sniping war, do it with your spell selection and reaction time, not your gear.

Besides HTT, what do I have for raid-wide AoE heals? When the whole raid takes damage, HR and CH doesn't feel like enough.

HTT, HST, HR, and Ascendance.

Really, though, I promise HR is enough for LFR AoE. Anything more is overkill. Practicing overkill isn't bad, but there are some benefits to practicing healing minimalism as well.
Edited by Kaels on 5/27/2013 4:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Actually, Kaels, I don't think the DR change to Healing Rain made it into the patch.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
1. Don't look at recount and stop trying to outheal every other healer.
2. goto 1
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
As others have said try to heal more conservatively. If that doesn't fix the problem manage your mana cooldowns well. I'm not familiar with the shaman CD's, but for example, for the emperor fight I use the most powerful of my 3 cooldowns at about 3/4 mana which brings me back to full, then at half I use my second best mana regeneration cooldown, then my weakest (arcane torrent) and then if for some reason I need more at the end my first CD is refreshed or within 15 seconds of being refreshed.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Will is an unusually long fight for LFR. It's also an odd fight in that the only really dangerous damage for most of the fight is tank damage. Try healing more conservatively than you usually do; don't let the tanks die, but save most of your mana for Titan Gas.

Thanks, Kaels! I'll try approaching the fight this way after maintenance today.

As a shaman, you cannot gauge your efficiency by your overhealing. Not even to the extent that other healers can (and it's not very good for us either). So just stop worrying about it.

I never thought about it that way before. I assumed overhealing = wasted healing and mana.

Really, though, I promise HR is enough for LFR AoE. Anything more is overkill. Practicing overkill isn't bad, but there are some benefits to practicing healing minimalism as well.

In the last group I had, only one of the other healers was going after the AoE damage. Another was AFK most of the run. The others focused only on the tanks. Normally, HR is enough, but with only two of us healing AoE damage, I needed more than HR.

1. Don't look at recount and stop trying to outheal every other healer.

Outhealing other healers isn't my goal. I need to know if I'm pulling my weight, healing-wise. If other healers are slacking, I need to step up my game. I'm not satisfied with just healing. I want to optimize my spec and push it to its fullest potential. Recount is a tool (when properly used) to help me do those things.

05/27/2013 12:20 PMPosted by Kimjónghealz
If that doesn't fix the problem manage your mana cooldowns well.

I tend to wait a bit too long to pop MTT on the last fight in MV, so by the time it comes off CD, the boss is already dead. I'm thinking of popping it early on, so it can come off CD roughly three-fourths of the way through the fight - which would be around the time my mana gets low.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]