Raid Comp/meters

90 Night Elf Priest
So our raid has been stuck on HoF, the amber shaper guy. Mainly due to having troubles interrupting the explosions. So we went to ToES because we just couldn't take any more. We downed the protectors and almost downed Tsulong. We've been mostly 3 healing because we are gearing up. Once we get to ToT we are going 2 heals. Our comp is myself (priest), Druid, and our third heals is a shammy. Most of my experience is as holy, but I've spent the last week as disc so I can get more comfortable with it.

My questions is mainly about meters. Before you answer, yes I know meters aren't worth much and I know logs are better. The druid and I take turns swapping who has higher HPS per fight. But more often that not she is ahead of me. Usually by about 10% and the shammy is a couple percent below me. She also is ilvl 512 and I'm at 495. Should I expect her to be that much ahead of me? Is it normal for a druid to be that much ahead of a priest (I noticed it mainly as disc, felt like she was closer to 15% higher when I was holy, but I don't recall and I was also a few ilvl lower last time I ran as holy with her)? Is it due to ilvl? I want to know what to expect that way I don't have to analyze a bunch of logs just to fine out that she is supposed to be that far ahead of me. Thanks

Edit - For anyone looking to ask about anything to do with meters, post somewhere else, because everyone will think you are terrible. Even when you clarify that you use logs and that you are working on enchants, they will still think you are terrible. Oh and they will think you are high and mighty if you already know what you need to work on. Peace. I don't think I will ever post in this forum again. Thanks guys.
Edited by Rhias on 5/29/2013 8:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
a disc/holy priest should never be behind a resto druid in 10man

from MSV to Toes we also ran R Druid/Disc Priest and shaman but for ToT we got a monk to replace the priest so he went shadow and its been so much better. some fights in ToT can be 2healed but really 2healers makes your healing cry specially if your a casual guild which it sounds like you guys are
Edited by Nillie on 5/28/2013 10:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
We definitely are casual. What about the fact that she is almost 20ilvl higher then I am? Would that affect how close we are in healing?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Do you have any logs :D? Would help to look at your spell usage.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
As I said: I know logs help you guys determine a lot of the issues, I was just asking in general do we heal below Druids. Most of the fights I am above her, but when I'm not I'm 10% below her.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It depends.

I heal ToT with a druid and another disc priest (I heal it as disc) and sometimes the druid is ahead of me depending on the fight :) What's your typical "rotation"?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
In general, no, you shouldn't be that far behind the Druid as Disc. But it's very difficult to figure out why you're that far behind the Druid as Disc without logs. Do you have any to share, perchance?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
91605716116:
a disc/holy priest should never be behind a resto druid in 10man

Not sure I agree with this. I did a run this week and beat a disc/holy pally on every fight and they out geared me.

As far as your comp goes i'd say disc and whichever of you other healers is better at dps'ing. The shaman or the druid would be fine.

On a separate note there is no reason not to go directly into ToT. I started healing in there on two different toons at ilvl490. Might as well get better gear and maximize your raiding time to soak as much stats as possible.

edit: clearing artial cut on duru with shrooms is lullzy.
Edited by Sadiemay on 5/29/2013 5:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I don't have logs for last nights fights because I was having a lot of lag issues and ran as minimally as I could. I know what I need to work on to up my general healing able. I'd still say I'm learning how to play disc. I know I need to work on my AA uptime and using SS. Part of the issue with the amber shaper is that the explosions are usually interrupted by when they aren't I don't have enough heads up to get SS up. I just want to know that if I am lower then the druid on a fight, is that normal or should I really look at what I'm doing. Or is it a situation where it's ok, because that's normal. That way I can tell quickly between fights/wipes if I am running really low or not. If I'm 6% below the druid should I say, "Hey that looks about right." Or "Eh I'm a couple percent lower then I should be." I want to know before I go through logs if there is an issue. If I'm only 2% below is that "ok" or can I be 9% below her. I just want it as a quick check when we are raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
From my own personal experience while learning disc:

5 seconds off on SS application will result in significantly lower numbers. It takes a lot of practice with timers and knowing the fight to make sure it happens just "right". Too early and you've wasted application time. Too late and the health bars are eaten through before the shell are up, and the shells are up during the post-event (ie no damage).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i'm more concerned with why things aren't dying. I think it was vero, but when we did ToES I healed it with a druid and we switched off on the meters. I think it depends on what's going on. Without seeing logs I can't tell you exactly why.

For a while we 3-healed things with me, the druid and the disc priest before our druid went boomkin. I beat the priest a lot of the time but the druid was touchy and we had similar ilvl.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
91640416520:
I don't have logs for last nights fights because I was having a lot of lag issues and ran as minimally as I could. I know what I need to work on to up my general healing able. I'd still say I'm learning how to play disc. I know I need to work on my AA uptime and using SS. Part of the issue with the amber shaper is that the explosions are usually interrupted by when they aren't I don't have enough heads up to get SS up. I just want to know that if I am lower then the druid on a fight, is that normal or should I really look at what I'm doing. Or is it a situation where it's ok, because that's normal. That way I can tell quickly between fights/wipes if I am running really low or not. If I'm 6% below the druid should I say, "Hey that looks about right." Or "Eh I'm a couple percent lower then I should be." I want to know before I go through logs if there is an issue. If I'm only 2% below is that "ok" or can I be 9% below her. I just want it as a quick check when we are raiding.

Save your SS for the target with the debuff (the parasite, I think? I forget the name of it). Take Divine Insight and use the procs on PW: Shield to keep that person shielded. Tell everyone else NOT to heal them, and have that person click off any HoTs that land on him/her. Otherwise, stick to Atonement on the boss, who will have a huuuuuge damage modifier on him.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
91640416520:
I just want to know that if I am lower then the druid on a fight, is that normal or should I really look at what I'm doing. Or is it a situation where it's ok, because that's normal. That way I can tell quickly between fights/wipes if I am running really low or not. If I'm 6% below the druid should I say, "Hey that looks about right." Or "Eh I'm a couple percent lower then I should be.

I get why you are interested in these numbers, but unfortunately comparing yourself to someone else is usually not the best way to tell if the healing you are doing is adequate or not for a specific encounter. A better strategy is when deaths happen, take a moment to figure out WHY that person died. Look over their death note. Did they not get healing for a significant length of time prior to death? Did they stand in death? Were any of your healers oom prior to the death and unable to properly do their job? Look at the root causes of what is causing wipes on a boss by boss basis, and if the fault lies with healing, come up with a strategy to prevent that death from happening again.

Deaths from an amber explosion, while avoidable if people are topped, are really not your fault. Death by an overhealed parasite, however, probably are. Focus on keeping your raid alive. Yes you should probably be outhealing your druid, but really, who cares? Pure hps in a vacuum is not nearly as helpful as the proper hps on the proper people, at the proper time.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I would also suggest looking at your enchants. For example you have +7 weapon damage on your staff instead of Jade Spirit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
if you can't afford jade spirit, the other one is decent too. windsong
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I know I have that on my staff. I've been leveling up my enchanting. I'm not that dense. Once I have a chance to get some money to pay an enchanter I will, but most of it is going to repairs, flasks, reforges, etc. so I know where most of my issues are coming from. I'm not looking for corrections on those, since I know what I need to change to up my ability. I think one or two people answered my question. In other words, on most fights I should be on top healing. And like I said. I know meters aren't everything and don't have much to say when someone is healing the "wrong" target. I know it's a case by case thing, but I have no question on whether or not I will be higher then a shammy. I know that I will be most all of the time.

We've got the parasitic growths down, I shield them and call out to stop healing them. The issue is that people are having issues interrupting their own explosions and the monstrosities explosion. So that's where we wipe.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
91643517051:
We've got the parasitic growths down, I shield them and call out to stop healing them. The issue is that people are having issues interrupting their own explosions and the monstrosities explosion. So that's where we wipe

Make your raid team go to their farm and practice pulling the stupid slappy vines. It actually has a faster cast time than the abom does. Vine is 1.5 sec and explosion is 3 sec. Tell them to do it over and over again until they don't fail at it.

It is what made that one of the tougher fights in HoF. It is a personal responsibility fight.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
There is also almost no point in stacking haste on a healing priest even for the renew breakpoints. As holy or disc the additional mastery will be better. ( If your going to play disc full time though I'd suggest crit over mastery)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
91644617176:
There is also almost no point in stacking haste on a healing priest even for the renew breakpoints. As holy or disc the additional mastery will be better. ( If your going to play disc full time though I'd suggest crit over mastery)

Entirely depends. The Lightwell breakpoint is golden, and I'm testing out the SS breakpoint this week.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
3 healing normal t14 content with healers above 500ilvl is a great way to measure sniping. But not terribly good at measuring skill.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]