Haste cap?

90 Human Paladin
Hey guys, first time posting on forums. Normally only read but I haven't found an answer yet. I know haste is important for GCD and so on. But my question is what should the cap be? For some reason I feel weird when stacking haste without a cap. Right now I'm at 11.84%. Thanks in advance, if this is a stupid question please let me know. I haven't played since vanilla and just picked it back up a few months ago so i'm still kind of a noob.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There's a softcap at 50%, because the GCD can't go below 1 second. This is still out of reach, even in really good gear. So just stack as much haste as you can get.
Edited by Ravicana on 6/2/2013 8:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Probably won't be out of reach next patch though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Thanks guys, got my haste up to 15%. Small improvement but I could notice the difference. 50% would be insane.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
37.08% Haste unbuffed and the soft cap of 50% is correct but note that's 50% unbuffed, not 50% raid buffed.
I believe Full Heroic BiS gemming haste comes to around 45% haste so the "haste cap" is out of reach for this tier, maybe next tier.

I roll with 50.xx% "haste" raid buffed so keep on stacking that haste :D

Edit: You could get a bit more haste 2-3% more with your gear c: just letting you know
Edit 2: Added quotation marks due to misunderstandings
Edited by Filfa on 6/3/2013 1:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The melee attack speed buff isn't a haste buff, so it doesn't go towards the haste cap. You need an actual 50% from gear to be GCD capped.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The melee attack speed buff isn't a haste buff, so it doesn't go towards the haste cap. You need an actual 50% from gear to be GCD capped.

Is that not what I said?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You're right. My apologies; I misread your post and mentally filled in a common error that you didn't actually commit.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
06/03/2013 04:12 AMPosted by Filfa

Is that not what I said?

This could be misinterpreted :

I roll with 50.xx% haste raid buffed so keep on stacking that haste :D

You don't roll with 50.xx% haste raid buffed. You roll with whatever Haste you have on your gear and a melee attack speed buff that gets rolled into your haste on your character sheet.

They are not the same. There is no Melee haste raid buff.
Reply Quote
what happen to haste value when we hit 50% unbuff?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Filfa, why are you reforging into crit instead of mastery?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
what happen to haste value when we hit 50% unbuff?

Haste's value will likely decrease very slightly as one of the primary reasons to stack it (reducing our GCD) will be met. It should, though, still continue to reduce our rotational ACDs.

Stat weights fluctuate on an individual basis. I think my current weight hast crit > mastery, too, but I don't have excess stats to go into either.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
Haste's value will drop off like a rock. Think of how good Haste was in Cataclysm when GCD wasn't reduced, but regular CDs were (protip: it was awful)

You really don't need to worry about this unless you are gonna be doing T16 heroics though, or they introduce a Thunderforged mechanic for 5.4.
Edited by Kangarooster on 6/3/2013 9:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Stat weights fluctuate on an individual basis. I think my current weight hast crit > mastery, too, but I don't have excess stats to go into either.

^ This

You can check your own stat weights via a simcraft
Edited by Filfa on 6/3/2013 1:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
06/03/2013 09:20 AMPosted by Kangarooster
Think of how good Haste was in Cataclysm when GCD wasn't reduced, but regular CDs were (protip: it was awful)

Haste was bad for Ret in Cata because it affected one skill, and it didn't scale nearly well enough to make much of a difference. And mastery benefited from more skills, so it made for better damage. Also, gems were weighted differently so we couldn't stack it as high from sockets.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Well, haste was really good when 4.0.1 hit and Ret could stack enough haste to bring CS to a 3 second cooldown. The problem was that it took way too much haste to reach that point at 85, and haste had very little effect between 4.5 and 3 seconds, so it simply wasn't worth taking.

That's not an issue now since Sanctity of Battle reduces the GCD as well, however once the GCD cap is reached haste's value should drop. By how much depends on what the cooldowns of CS and Judgment are at that point, though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Once you reach the GCD cap, haste stops providing more abilities, and mostly just lets you replace abilities with stronger ones. The difference between an Exorcism and nothing is much smaller than the difference between an Exorcism and a CS. Since crit and mastery already aren't far behind haste, I would be quite surprised if haste was still the most favorable stat past 50%.
Edited by Ravicana on 6/3/2013 9:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My guess is that haste will devalue, after 50% and crit will slowly overtake it, mastery simply doesn't effect enough of our abilities.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
As of my last sim, my haste weight is .58, and my mastery weight is .54. Crit can indeed pull ahead of Mastery for some setups (I've been there myself for most of MoP), but this doesn't mean Mastery is not strong. It just means that it's very close to crit, close enough that it a small change in weight can reverse the ranking.

I mean, Hand of Light is a solid 15-20% of our damage...
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
06/03/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
Think of how good Haste was in Cataclysm when GCD wasn't reduced, but regular CDs were (protip: it was awful)

Haste was bad for Ret in Cata because it affected one skill, and it didn't scale nearly well enough to make much of a difference. And mastery benefited from more skills, so it made for better damage. Also, gems were weighted differently so we couldn't stack it as high from sockets.
The primary reason then as now was because it didn't offer more abilities per GCD; like Ravicana said, it only provides a better ability per GCD at best.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]