Does solo AoE exist anymore?

19 Undead Warrior
I recall my Paladin getting hit over the head with a variety of cooldowns just before I quit back before the release of Cata. Can any class sustain 5-10 mobs via AoE anymore? Would love to know if this was the case.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Hunter
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but tank classes and most DPS classes can AoE their way through quests with relative ease.
Reply Quote
95 Human Paladin
Any tank-spec'd class can (Blood DKs, Prot Paladins, Prot Warriors, Brewmaster Monks).
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
While levelling, it's rather difficult to take on more than 4 mobs.

Now, this Mage can take on 8 standard-health level 90 mobs.
Reply Quote
19 Undead Warrior
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but tank classes and most DPS classes can AoE their way through quests with relative ease.

I recall that my Paladin was able to sustain 10-20 mobs at a time while leveling.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Hunter
Frankly, it's hard to gather up 10-20 mobs at a time these days, but with BoAs, should be able to do it without an issue I would think.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
I do not ever switch to BrM anymore, I can AoE farm as WW all day long and not die.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Hunters. I pick up as many quest mobs as I can on my hunters and always live. Pets avoid most damage anyway.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
I recall that my Paladin was able to sustain 10-20 mobs at a time while leveling.

If you keep up your gear, I'd think that you'd be able to do that leveling as prot.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Leveling Paladin Prot up to 80, the hardest thing about AOE grinding is getting together enough mobs to AOE before they die. It's often hard to get more than 3-5 because they simply die too fast.

80-85 is the sweet spot, you can get 10-20 mobs at a time and they live long enough for you to gather them up and actually AOE them.

After 85, you can handle 10 or so mobs fine, but killing things takes FOREVER. As an extreme example, I could gather up a cave full of yetis in Kun-lai Summit but it took a full 3 minutes average to complete a pull. The worst part is e.g. when you accidentally aggro a single mob when you're ready to leave an area and then have to spend as much as 2 minutes killing it before you can mount up. Better off going Ret in Pandaria imo.
Reply Quote
93 Human Monk

When exactly was this?

While leveling no tank class can live through more than 5 mobs wailing mercilessly in him. You just don't have the tools for that job.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
05/31/2013 01:08 PMPosted by Kewngpow

When exactly was this?

While leveling no tank class can live through more than 5 mobs wailing mercilessly in him. You just don't have the tools for that job.

Prot paladins back in BC with the proper shield and trinkets could AoE silly numbers of enemies.

But that wasn't while levelling, mind you.

At any rate, most questing areas don't have mob densities thick enough to support a realistic pull of that sort of size, so it's a bit of a moot point. Though if you're soloing dungeons, any tank class can handle 2-3 elites at a time at even low levels (and more at higher levels), so 5 nonelites in the world would be cake.
Edited by Seyl on 5/31/2013 1:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Depends on the class. I set glyphed and talented, I let my pet tank about 8-10 ish. I AoE with felstorm, grimoire of service: felguard, Hand of Gul'dan, Summon Infernal, Hellfire (demon form), Chaos Wave (demon form).

On my rogue, it is much harder to AoE anything more than 4-5 without dying.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
05/31/2013 01:08 PMPosted by Kewngpow

When exactly was this?

This was during the time of the old talents, back when Prot Paladin had things like Holy Shield. It's been a while since I played Prot, but I don't think they have anything like that anymore. The Holy dmg done per block was insanely potent and important to your well-being as Prot (since it basically sped up your kills).
Reply Quote
93 Human Monk
Though if you're soloing dungeons, any tank class can handle 2-3 elites at a time at even low levels, so 5 nonelites in the world would be cake

Perhaps with a healer they can, left to their own devices no leveling tank can survive through that.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Any tank-spec'd class can (Blood DKs, Prot Paladins, Prot Warriors, Brewmaster Monks).
Damnit why does no one ever include bears in these lists.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Thats pretty much how I quested on this toon

1 quest = 1 pull
Reply Quote

Yar, while leveling pally everyquest that said kill 14 of these I always said OK, be back in 5.

Gathered 14 mobs up and took them down, back to quest giver....gimme that greenie!
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
05/31/2013 01:15 PMPosted by Kewngpow
Though if you're soloing dungeons, any tank class can handle 2-3 elites at a time at even low levels, so 5 nonelites in the world would be cake

Perhaps with a healer they can, left to their own devices no leveling tank can survive through that.

I beg to differ. I'm currently levelling a prot paladin with 0 heirlooms through solo dungeons. She's only level 26 right now, but handling the instance trash hasn't been too bad. More than two and I have to kite somewhat, but 1-2 elites isn't bad, and most bosses are manageable (cleared ragefire chasm, all the way up to the endboss of wailing caverns which I couldn't be bothered to do the event for, all the way up to Godfrey in SFK who was not beatable, and all the way up to Aku'mai in BFD before I had to stop because I was coming down with a fever.)

And in the past, I've levelled a monk from 60-80 purely through soloing dungeons. This was back when chi wave had an 8 second cooldown though, so I imagine it would be more interesting now. I've also levelled a prot warrior from 30-80 purely through soloing dungeons. Of the two, the warrior had it easiest by far. Could comfortable handle 4-5 elites without use of major cooldowns all the way through, though bosses required chaining of cooldowns to survive in many cases.

I had 80 as my stopping point as I'm habitually lazy with gear, and that'd be the part where I'd have to go hit the auction house to put my gear up to the point where I'd even have a remote chance. It might be do-able, though I couldn't say.

But really, don't underestimate what a levelling tank is capable of. You might be surprised.
Edited by Seyl on 5/31/2013 1:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]