Healer(s) looking for help with ToT

90 Troll Druid
I made this thread mostly because our pally, who just recently started healing, thinks he's doing something wrong and my knowledge of paladins is limited. The priest and I are also open to some constructive criticism, so if there is any tips for us that would also be helpful.

It seems to me that our biggest problem is Cinders and the Acid Rains. We usually spread out in between rampages to avoid the acid rains better but it seems like cinders + acid rain at the same time is what's killing people.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6hiph4kgxyr9cp1n/sum/healingDone/?enc=bosses&boss=68065
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
A couple of things stand out to me regarding your paladin. None of them are AHWHATISHAPPENING bad. He seems to have a good grasp of how to play the spec.

Gear:
He is missing a gem and an enchant. Not a huge deal, but it can only help. Also, the 4 piece isn't as good as it was before, sadly. I'm not sure if he's hanging on to it intentionally, or if there isn't the gear to replace it yet, but there isn't much reason to keep it any more if he can upgrade to 2pc+2pc.
Healing:
- I'm not sure what your strat is as a raid group for healing CDs, but he can definitely be more liberal with his holy shock usage, and his major CD usage (divine favor, avenging wrath, etc.). Divine protection (40% magic damage reduction) is also fabulous on this fight, and I believe it should be available for every, or nearly every, rampage. I point this out because I am terrible about "saving" my CDs, instead of using them to prevent hairy situations in the first place.
- I can't really tell if he is utilizing this, as I'm not great at reading logs, but the new daybreak is a stacking effect (up to 2). As much as possible, he should HR->HR->HS during rampages for 2 stacks of the daybreak effect. 150% healing to nearby allies is delicious.
- I would replace glyph of flash of light with the beacon glyph. He only gained the extra healing once over the fight. If he is quick, he can switch beacon targets off the GCD before casting a divine light or flash of light on someone for an extra HoPo.

I hope this helps!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Thanks for the input. I actually made a weak aura specifically to help me use holy shock on cd for my pally alt, Ill mention it to him. Gear wise I think he is using his highest ilvl gear. He is ret for most fights and he has been pugging older raids for gear for his holy set, but I will let him know that the t14 4 piece is not as big of a deal anymore. Overall I think he is doing well considering this is the first fight he has healed in our main raid group.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Like I said, overall it looked solid. All of the things I mentioned are either nitpicky or new changes. I hope everything goes well for you guys :)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Any other advice for the pally? Or any of our healers? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
I assume you are having the priest mostly do atonement and spirit shell for the rampages? If so then they are doing great. If they need to up their HPS, they should look into doing more direct healing as disc since the 5.3 changes, or going with a holy spec for it for uber HPS.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I assume you are having the priest mostly do atonement and spirit shell for the rampages? If so then they are doing great. If they need to up their HPS, they should look into doing more direct healing as disc since the 5.3 changes, or going with a holy spec for it for uber HPS.

Yeah the priest is a great healer and honestly any mistakes are probably due to him recently switching to his priest after maining a shaman for a long time. Hes still learning his spec but it looks to me like hes got it figured out.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Any other advice for the pally? Or any of our healers? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Make better use of your mushrooms on rampages. Make sure you set them up on every rampage's stack point; When a rampage ends, you should be immediately setting them up on the next stack point. I can't recall what my shroom numbers were pre-buff, but since then they should absolutely be top 3. Yours was barely ahead of lifebloom.

Tell your shaman when to use Ancestral guidence. It's literally better than a tranquility in 10man. But, I run with a very high dps shaman so that may be different for you, since your shaman seems to be...very low on the dps (which in and of itself, may be the issue here; DPS; He was below both of your tanks on this fight = should not happen)

If poison bombs are causing big problems for you, you may want to consider swapping to Soul of the Forest. The poison bombs do a lot of AOE damage, however with SotF you can really top up much of the raid a lot faster on just about every single poison explosion. Run into a cluster of raid members; Cast Swiftmend on yourself so max targets get hit by Efflo, and WG = Winning.

The cinders just flat out suck. They're a mana drain for you, but they don't have to be. You should consider tracking your priests PW:S. And every time he/she does not PW:S the cinders target IMMEDIATELY, you should /slap your disc priest. All you should have to do is drop a rejuv on cinders target, with immediate PW:S from disc priest, and dispell the target the second YOU view it to be safely out of harms way.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Also I might add;

I quit main raiding on my disc priest last tier so, I could be way off base here...

(Ive no clue how disc priests run fight to fight this tier but..)
Your disc priest needs to atonement less and PoH more. big time. Smart heals from atonement are garbage when half the raid takes 25%-50% damage from a poison bomb. PoH A LOT more.
Edited by Tonydanza on 5/31/2013 9:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
05/31/2013 09:13 PMPosted by Tonydanza

Make better use of your mushrooms on rampages. Make sure you set them up on every rampage's stack point; When a rampage ends, you should be immediately setting them up on the next stack point. I can't recall what my shroom numbers were pre-buff, but since then they should absolutely be top 3. Yours was barely ahead of lifebloom.

Tell your shaman when to use Ancestral guidence. It's literally better than a tranquility in 10man. But, I run with a very high dps shaman so that may be different for you, since your shaman seems to be...very low on the dps (which in and of itself, may be the issue here; DPS; He was below both of your tanks on this fight = should not happen)

If poison bombs are causing big problems for you, you may want to consider swapping to Soul of the Forest. The poison bombs do a lot of AOE damage, however with SotF you can really top up much of the raid a lot faster on just about every single poison explosion. Run into a cluster of raid members; Cast Swiftmend on yourself so max targets get hit by Efflo, and WG = Winning.

The cinders just flat out suck. They're a mana drain for you, but they don't have to be. You should consider tracking your priests PW:S. And every time he/she does not PW:S the cinders target IMMEDIATELY, you should /slap your disc priest. All you should have to do is drop a rejuv on cinders target, with immediate PW:S from disc priest, and dispell the target the second YOU view it to be safely out of harms way.

I had shrooms up for every rampage though I may need to get better at timing the "bloom" so its not a bunch of over healing. As for the shaman, ya hes not very good, he stands in a lot of bad and we pretty much only bring him when we have no one else. Though I will mention Ancestral Guidance to him. I haven't been using SotF since i dropped my t14 4 piece but I will give that a try. As for the priest shielding people with cinders, hes been doing it, I've noticed the speed boost they have been getting from body and soul, and I immediately throw a rejuv on them. I think people are just low already from the poison bombs and then get cinders right after and now that I think about it I should probably use NS + HT for this exact reason, and have people use health stones for this as well. We have actually downed Meg once before but with a holy priest instead of the pally but I think we will get it. Anyways thanks for the tips they should be quite helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Also I might add;

I quit main raiding on my disc priest last tier so, I could be way off base here...

(Ive no clue how disc priests run fight to fight this tier but..)
Your disc priest needs to atonement less and PoH more. big time. Smart heals from atonement are garbage when half the raid takes 25%-50% damage from a poison bomb. PoH A LOT more.

Ah ya I actually talked to him about that after reading a post thread about disc priests and how atonement is pretty much just a filler in low damage periods. He recently switched to his priest from his shaman so hes still kind of figuring it out but I will mention that to him, thanks.
Edited by Trolljin on 5/31/2013 9:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Ahhhh Yeah, save those shrooms for when everyone (on average) is 60% health or less. Once you judge the raid to be around then, bloom them.

IF you have a lot of people very low as soon as you stack; Bloom them immediately, followed by a swiftmend and wild growth. Drop 3 more shrooms right on you; rejuv spam. Bloom the shrooms when bloom comes off CD, then drop 3 more shrooms @next stack.

^^ In certain situations it can be useful to bloom 2 shrooms on one rampage (with full knowledge that the second bloom with have 0 overhealing, it's still highly worth it)

(SM and wild growth must take priority. These must be on CD 100% of the time during rampage. Shroom bloom is only used when raid hits a certain HP, which over time you will be able to estimate best on your own)
Edited by Tonydanza on 5/31/2013 9:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Ahhhh Yeah, save those shrooms for when everyone (on average) is 60% health or less. Once you judge the raid to be around then, bloom them.

IF you have a lot of people very low as soon as you stack; Bloom them immediately, followed by a swiftmend and wild growth. Drop 3 more shrooms right on you; rejuv spam. Bloom the shrooms when bloom comes off CD, then drop 3 more shrooms @next stack.

^^ In certain situations it can be useful to bloom 2 shrooms on one rampage (with full knowledge that the second bloom with have 0 overhealing, it's still highly worth it)

(SM and wild growth must take priority. These must be on CD 100% of the time during rampage. Shroom bloom is only used when raid hits a certain HP, which over time you will be able to estimate best on your own)

Ah makes sense I will definitely keep that in mind.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]