megarea healing advice

90 Night Elf Druid
so tonight is really our first night on magarea were getting to the last head but just dieing due to us healers being oom or the tanks dieing to the heads more attack speed. i know it might be just gear that were wiping to but could i work on anything more? here's the logs :/

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/jy3mrqdjmgoioxey/sum/healingDone/
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Hi there,

I'll give you one hint as a rdruid but please keep it between you and me since I don't want the word to get around and ruin it.

WILDMUSHROOMS

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-s5xu8heokq4e04fu/sum/healingDone/?s=7047&e=7356

Extra mastery/throughput while great, won't make a bit of difference if you're going Oom so I really suggest changing some gems around. Meta, Red slots = Purified, Yellow= Zen Wild and perhaps your chest chant but you judge which is more a benefit for you personally.

While 1%=2% sounds like a lot it really isn't and really sounds less appealing when you can't heal.
Edited by Moofiosa on 5/29/2013 10:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
bah i dont even like that spell to be honest lol but if it gets the job done i guess i have to :/
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
91644518548:
bah i dont even like that spell to be honest lol but if it gets the job done i guess i have to :/

I hate the dam spell personally but that's no reason to not use it here.

Make sure you raid has stack points marked. Before the pull place your shroons on the left side and pop them on the first rampage WHEN the party is low on HP.

Use Tranq on second following your shroons

Use shroons again followed by your TOL

Etc

They cost next to no mana and are effective even without being charged.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
We just beat Megaera for the first time tonight.

The night before (our very first attempts), we tried GRGRGRG, but the raid damage always overwhelmed us. We got to the final head a few times, but we were really struggling.

Tonight, we tried the same head kill order once, and pretty the same things happened. So we switched to BRGRGRG, and downed it on the first try. Things still got crazy with Cinders and slime balls on the final head, but we had enough people alive long enough to get the kill.

One other thing we changed which I think helped a bit was assigning two healers to dispell Cinders on groups 1 and 2 respectively, with the third healer "on call". The night before, we did not have set assignments, which I think resulted in a lot of wasted mana and downtime. With the assignments, nobody was ever cleansed more than once.

We had exactly the same healing comp as you (Druid, Monk, Shaman) and actually had slightly less HPS(e) on our kill than your raid had on your last try:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-37iqbruqmjgpq9om/sum/healingDone/?s=724&e=1172

One thing that stands out in your log, compared to ours, is the much higher damage you guys are taking in between Rampages. You seem to be taking almost as much damage between Rampages as you are during them, which I don't doubt will OOM your healers.

That may be partly due to your head kill order, or to people not avoiding all the damage they should have. So in that regard, you might want to try a different strat/kill order/positioning, or focus on getting people to avoid more damage.
Edited by Rheeah on 5/30/2013 2:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Wild Mushrooms = rofl gg rampages. Just wait until raid is <50% health and pop them. Should be used on every single rampage.

And if you saw how powerful shrooms' are, you wouldn't hate them. I love them. Hate them mechanically, but they're growing on me (no pun intended) it's a bit of a game itself trying to charge them/place them strategically on fights where they typically see less use. but when you can instantly pop 1.5million heals that's off the GCD on demand..well what's not to love?
Edited by Tonydanza on 5/30/2013 3:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I have no idea how you went with Green head lol. we just went BRPBRP straight down the line and worked fine for us.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
BRBGRB=easy peasy

also 2 healing it makes it a lot easier
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
91646318475:
so tonight is really our first night on magarea were getting to the last head but just dieing due to us healers being oom or the tanks dieing to the heads more attack speed. i know it might be just gear that were wiping to but could i work on anything more? here's the logs :/

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/jy3mrqdjmgoioxey/sum/healingDone/

Ok I will offers some insight here that peopler rarely point out becasue this has become almost an institution in 10 man raiding these days and it its the number 1 reason why lower end guilds struggle on fights like this(please know i mean no disrespect in any way im just trying to be honest in my thoughts on how you can improve.)

Lets look at your tank/healing comp to begin with

Resto Shaman
Resto Druid
Mistweaver Monk
Blook DK
Prot Paladin

The first thing I will point out is you guys are in healing overload. You have the two most self healing tanks and you are still running with 3 healers. If you dig a bit deaper then you will see that overhealing from the 3 healers.

Monk 30.9%
Druid 25.1%
Shaman 33.9%

You add that up thats like 90% of a healer so what you basically are doing is using 3 people to do 2 peoples job and in all likelyhood just making your tanks self heals and each others healing vastly ineffective.

What happens to groups like yours is they put themselves in this cyclical problem of 3 healing so many encounters and what you end up with is a 2 fold problem.

1. Your dps get sloppy because there are always heals to make up for thier mistakes thus they are never forced to stay out of bad to make sure they dont die. They dont use personal cooldowns or healthstones and take a proactive approach to survivability.

2. Your healers are in this wierd limbo for 2 reasons,
a. They are rarely pushed on easy fights due to everyone overhealing so much
b. They struggle on fights that are hard because with less dps fights take much longer thus require an extreme amount more healing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You can see the pattern here. Your dps is sloppy and then you use healers to cover mistakes and heal the extra damage yet the fights end up taking much longer and you end up raising the healing requirement so much that even for a 3 heal setup you cant understand why you are struggling so much.

So I wanted to show you a parse from my guild as far back as I could go to show you the comparison(I went as far back as I could so that we could see something where we had similar gear)

So in your last attempts you lasted 8 minutes and 28 seconds
Raid HPS 298445
Raid DPS 568500

Now here is an old Magera Parse from us 2 Healing it.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-kjeqoe491c0lrfp1/sum/healingDone/?s=74&e=505

Our kill was in 7 Minutes and 10 seconds
Raid HPS 248637
Raid DPS 711804

Now again we probably had a bit better gear than you have now but you can see the picture now how us killing the fight much quicker actually lowered the amount of healing we needed on the fight by approx 16%

Your 5 DPS in your raid averaged approx 89000 DPS So if you were to add taht into your dps currently you would be at 657169 which would drastically reduce the amount of cinders, acid clouds, and frost beams. Now if you took out your lowest healer that would take out 60k HPS so that your raid effective would be something like
DPS 657169
HPS 238445

Now those are just estimations and you will find some varience in your mileage considering dps is like a snowball that gets bigger the more of it you have. Fight lengths go down hero uptime increases discipline uptime increases everyones dps goes up exponentialy. So I would greatly suggest making the resto druid into a boomkin and 2 healing the encounter. You dont have to be a Heroic raider or a hardcore player to want to be successful and have fun when you log in and you will always hold yourself and your group back if you always fall back into the same routine. You are effectively stunting your own growth as a player and your groups growth as a team.

In looking through your healing CDs used it also looks like they are not very well managed. It is going to be very important that you set up a very specific rotation of Cooldowns to handle each and every Rampage. Something like this

1. Devo Aura/Revival
2. Devo Aura/ Ascendance
3. Healint Tide Totem
4. Devo Aura/Spirit Link Totem
5. Devo Aura/Tranq
6. Revival/Healthstones
7. Devo Aura/AMZ

This is just a rough example again it will depend greatly on your raid comp and how the cooldowns line up with your kill times. I have noticed in many tiers of raiding that people typically only use CDs when things are going badly and when you think about what really happens there when the raid leader gets scared becasue people are dying and then calls for a Raid CD and everyone just pops everything you end up not being effective. Great teams plan to use cooldowns proactively so that in a long fight they arent just using these vastly powerful tools 1 or 2 times.

I find it funny how so often people have this perception that players who are successfull raiders are just better than raiders who are not and this is usually not true in the slightest. Id say for a vast majority of players of course not counting the top and bottom say 5-10% who are either very very skilled or very very unskilled what seperates someone who is 12/12 normal and someone who is 5/12 normal is just planning how you are going to tackle an encounter. Successfull teams have a plan and stick to it to execute while underperforming teams usually lack leadership and a clear path as to what each and every persons job is outside of im a healer I must keep people alive or im a tank i must tank said raid boss.

If you would like to become more successfull then you should just get a bit more indept with your planning of encounters becasue judging by your dps numbers and your healing numbers there is no reason why this team couldnt be 12/12 very quickly. The ability is there. Its up to you to understand how to harness it.

Anyway best of luck to you and remember....

Personal Achievement has nothing to do with if someone did it before you or faster than you or better than you. If you set a goal for yourself and you achieved it never let anyone take that way from you because at the end of the day you earned it.
Edited by Guzrud on 5/30/2013 4:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Everything the poster above me said is spot on. My guild three heals the fight because... well, no real reason, we just do. And we still drop the boss right around the 7 minute mark. Not saying it to boast, and gear probably plays a factor, but just saying that if we can push her over that fast with three healers then you guys should at least be in the mid to upper 7 minute range. One thing I see from a lot of lower progressed or more casual guilds is that the weight of the raid ALWAYS falls on the healer's shoulders. DPS is never truly held accountable. It's always easier to throw another healer at it to cover for bad/sloppy DPS then it is to get those DPS to play better. So, if you are going to three heal it (and I agree with the poster above, no need to with your tanking comp. But, there is also no need with mine, BM/PPal, but we do anyway) then your DPS HAS to step it up. They need to be pushing better numbers. Or drop a healer and cover your lack of DPS that way.

Also, expanding on what the above poster said about CDs. Talk to your raidleader and/or officer group and suggest that they designate a permanent CD caller for raid. That is my job in our raids. I cover all defensive/healing CDs and our RL covers all DPS cooldowns. A healer is usually the best choice for calling Def/healing CDs, we spend enough time watching health bars as it is, and we are very in tune with the flow of damage.

Once you have your designated CD caller, I highly suggest they get Weakauras and set it up so that they have a list of what should be used when on their UI. Works wonders for remembering and tracking all your CDs. It's as simple as setting up a text "aura" and making it say "1st: Free Devo/HTT 2nd: Jacobos Devo/Tranq 3rd: Rally/Treeform... ...". Also they should get Hermes (or similar) to keep track of what is on cooldown and what is up from everyone. Knowing when my druid is going to have Tranq back up, for example, really allows me to adapt to changes on the fly. Letting people just pop what they want whenever is a recipe for disaster. You end up with situations where both pallies pop Devo at the same time, or you get a Traq and HTT right on top of one another. No good.

Also, NEVER forget to use your CDs from your DPS. A DPS warrior still has Rally and Demo, a rogue has smoke bomb, a WW has Zen Med, etc. I see people forget about those all the time, make use of them!
Reply Quote
Everything Guzrud said is absolutely 100% spot on. My guild has (had?) the tendency to want to 3 heal _everything_ to cover mistakes on other people's part but I am convincing them that as long as people mostly behave it is exceedingly more helpful to my monk cohealer and myself to have our 3rd healer go DPS (and said 3rd healer is happier having something to do all the time as well). We just 2 healed Megeara for the first time this week (alternating G/R.. when we 3 healed it was G/R/G/R/B/R/G)

Last week:
Raid HPS: 285563
Raid DPS: 709699

This week:
Raid HPS: 282917
Raid DPS: 794933

As you can see, the HPS needed to keep the raid up was covered just as easily with 2 healers as it was with 3 healers and we gained 90k DPS.
Edited by Morenn on 5/30/2013 10:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
well thanks for the advice but were going to 3 heal it anyways were a casual guild since MoP had to rebuild the guild since most everyone left after cata and the server died so were dont have the best dps right now. also i hate the boomkin spec so much, pick a druid to heal lol

were doing GRGRGBR (hate blue so much)
Edited by Nillie on 5/30/2013 7:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Obviously, you guys can do it any way you feel as best, but low dps is all the more reason to 2 heal. :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
91643419672:

While blue is annoying it is easily avoidable and does far less damage than green.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
91647419066:
Obviously, you guys can do it any way you feel as best, but low dps is all the more reason to 2 heal. :)

wish we could do that but theirs no way lol

91646319433:
91643419672:

While blue is annoying it is easily avoidable and does far less damage than green.

we tried it and most everyone was failing at the blue lazer so trying make it last so we can just nuke the last head and hope to kill it
Edited by Nillie on 5/30/2013 9:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
We 3 healed our first attempts for it just to make it a little easier on the healers and we had enough high DPS when we got our first kill. We still 3 heal it purely because none of the healers have a viable offspec >_>

I think our order for heads is GRGRBRB ... something like that. I just remember the last bit is BRB haha. It was the one fight that we had the most trouble with, but after downing it once Megaera is a breeze :) Our druid uses mushrooms on rampages and preplants them on the markers as someone else mentioned, they are insane!

Good luck :D!

- Veroicone
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Our first kill we 4 healed it... but that was before they fixed/nerfed it. We now 2 heal it with a Holy Pally plus myself and the disc priest Rock paper scissors for the 2nd healer. We've always done GRGRGRG, as we can keep more dps uptime on the heads without worrying about the frost. I would highly recommend 3 healing that combo until your healing core is a bit more geared.

Just looking at your gear, you have 531 Haste that is completely wasted as a throughput stat. Try getting the addon called Reforge Lite... It will calculate the best way to reforge, and auto reforge everything for you. Also, I would say that your mana regen is a bit high for still having your t14 2 set bonus. Try gemming a bit more mastery for better throughput instead (looking at your logs, it seems like you're having more problems catching up on heals than mana issues as the underlining problem). Aside from that, I think the most Mastery you're gunna pickup is roughly 1300-1400. So other than that, what Moofiosa said... make SURE you have a fully charged set of mushrooms up for every rampage. If you tranq on the second Rampage, it should be back up for the 5th head. Also, communicate before the pull, when other healers are using their CDs...

Your dps looks about average for their ilvls. You should be fine there, but make sure everyone is flasking prepotting to maximize dps as much as possible... more green swirly things means more heals needed to catch up, so if you could reduce those a bit, you might be a bit better off.

Comparing our last kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/av3f4qcwyi9qj3bm/sum/healingDone/?s=4071&e=4383

To your best attempt:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/jy3mrqdjmgoioxey/sum/healingDone/?s=6223&e=6733

Our total overall healing output was 267k over 5:11 where as yours was 216k over 8:30. If you're gunna take 8+ mins to kill it, you're gunna need to average over 300k hps.
Beyond 8 Mins, you're having a dps problem...
Edited by Tripcy on 5/30/2013 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Also, Don't knock down boomkin too much... I've recently had to reroll boomkin and its growing on me quite a bit.

For your current comp the benefits of boomkin are:
1. Still have a powerful tranq.
2. Nature's Vigil for almost every rampage.
3. You would personally take less damage from the passive damage reduction of moonkin form.
4. High burst dps.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
91648218835:
Wild Mushrooms = rofl gg rampages. Just wait until raid is <50% health and pop them. Should be used on every single rampage.

And if you saw how powerful shrooms' are, you wouldn't hate them. I love them. Hate them mechanically, but they're growing on me (no pun intended) it's a bit of a game itself trying to charge them/place them strategically on fights where they typically see less use. but when you can instantly pop 1.5million heals that's off the GCD on demand..well what's not to love?

Just Stop...... If Mushrooms are doing ur top healing ur doing it wrong....
It should be Rejuv , Wild Growth , Swiftmend , (Lifebloom , Mushrooms or Other way around)
You wanna make sure you have a swiftmend for every rampage though and Get treants.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]