Why is GoAK on such a long CD for HPaladins?

90 Draenei Shaman
Just looking for an answer. It doesn't seem like it heals for *that* much to warrant a 5 minute CD, especially compared to Revival/Tranquility/DH. Is this because of the haste buff too?

Just curious :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't think GoAK is considered a raid CD like Tranq to be honest. I see it more as a throughput cool down and that's certainly how I use it. If pallies have a raid CD it's probably Devo Aura even though it's limited to only magical damage. To offset this we have a bunch of utility CDs and throughput CDs. But we don't really have a one button raid saver.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Yeah, I know it's not really a raid CD akin to Revival/DH. I just mean that those spells put out so much more healing and are on a 3 min CD. Was wondering if there was something I was missing as to why GoAK is 5 minutes for having 5 of your heals do some splash AoE. Is the haste buff from it that good?
Edited by Aerae on 5/31/2013 5:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Remember that pallies have 2 other throughput CDs as well as GoAK in Avenging Wrath (3 min CD) and Divine Favor (3 min CD) so if they lowered the CD on GoAK it would be a bit over the top. GoAK is not that great but holy pallies don't really need it to be improved.
Edited by Sarakatawen on 5/31/2013 7:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
05/31/2013 05:09 PMPosted by Sarakatawen
I don't think GoAK is considered a raid CD like Tranq to be honest. I see it more as a throughput cool down and that's certainly how I use it.

Yeah, this is the truth. It functioned as a raid save on H Chimaeron or other similar "clump and heal and pray you don't die" fights, but gradually it kinda petered out of that role as raid design changed. It's still a very good cooldown and nothing to complain about.

Holy Paladins do have some strange gaps in their toolkit like you're saying, but I mean - I'm sure that some of the other classes are just crying a river about it. Hehe.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Math says devo can potentially put out as much or more "healing" as tranq etc. It just doesn't show up on the e-peen meters because it is a damage reduction effect. It also never overheals, is not wasted on pets, and any other issue that can detract from the value of a "smart" heal. (When you see a bunch of green "immune"s pop up it generally makes you die a little inside).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
People tend to forget about the stacking haste buff the Guardian gives you. Once you reach 5 stacks (which amounts to a whopping 50% haste), you can output exceptional single target or raid healing while it lasts.

My only issue with the Guardian is that it's a very convoluted cooldown, performing a bunch of different, somewhat-random things all at once. It doubles single target healing spells, does an additional 10% of said healing to nearby allies and provides the 10% stacking haste buff. I know it's designed this way so that it performs well in both single target and raid healing scenarios, but it's still pretty ridiculous.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Part of it may just be a continued holdover from back in Cata when it was an exceptionally powered special for single target healing. Changed the effect, but not the cooldown.

It's a decently powerful throughput cooldown, just very clunky to get up and running. The stacking haste buff lasts for 30 seconds, but only 7 seconds at a time. So if you quickly cast 5 single target spells in a row, maybe spending seven or eight seconds, you're left with 7 seconds of +50% haste left (effectively halving the optimal uptime on the effect).

It's a difficult special to pull off correctly. On the one hand, you want to use powerful single-target spells such as Divine Light/Word of Glory to take advantage of the splash and doubling, but on the downside, the haste effect is best used with AoE spells to handle raid-wide damage, as there are very few situations where you find yourself needing to spam single-target heals on the tank for 15+ seconds straight... and in those situations, the splash healing is wasted and you'd be better off using a different trick such as Hand of Sacrifice.

The optimal usage is to pre-plan GoAK so that you get the hasted effect during something such as Magaera's Rampage. Time your single target heals so that you have 3-4 stacks of haste up when Rampage starts, spam Holy Radiance, use Holy shock to hit Daybreak and maintain the stack without wasting it, and you can get a good 10 seconds of powerful raid healing i.e. like having a personal Bloodlust on yourself. The drawback is that this is extraordinarily mana intensive (unless you throttle yourself, but if you're doing that, why bother using it?), leaving you drained for later in the fight, meaning that your other heals will have to cover for you. Kind of gives it a feel of "What's the point?" in more situations than not.

It works well with fully pre-planned healer cooldown rotations, though, or when a healer bites the dust and you're near the end of the fight and your remaining mana doesn't matter.

...um, so it's basically a really powerful cooldown effect that warrants the high cooldown, just kind of niche and clunky so that in common usage a healadin just kind of shrugs their shoulders and clicks the button for a smidgeon of bonus throughput.

A last, strong benefit is just sheer mana efficiency. Being able to double up on tank-cast Divine Lights, you can easily garner 50-100k mana worth of healing from this effect.

05/31/2013 10:53 PMPosted by Areos
It doubles single target healing spells, does an additional 10% of said healing to nearby allies and provides the 10% stacking haste buff.

Edit: Oh, it still does the first thing, neato keen!
Edited by Wards on 6/4/2013 6:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Usually with GoAK, I do the 2x Holy Radiance then Holy Shock. That gives you 3HP, 3 AOE heals, the Shock still counts for the single target and procs a stack of 10% haste. Then you can pop off an EF/WoG for another stack or Light of Dawn for more AE.

I rarely use it for tank or single target healing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
GoAK definitely still doubles your single target heals in addition to the aoe splash effect.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't know if PVE paladins still run with the plea glyph, but the haste increase from GoAK can cut off a lot of time on the plea cast time. I find being able to do something like that fairly useful if you need to get back in the game asap.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
GoAK definitely still doubles your single target heals in addition to the aoe splash effect.

... I don't know how I've been missing that. All expansion.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]