Hunters seem boring... New DPS class?

90 Night Elf Hunter
So I have an 89 hunter and an 85 warlock. I never really got into my hunter nor my warlock. Could you suggest a DPS class to play that is wanted in dungeons/raids. Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
hunters are topping all kinds of charts, warlocks as well,
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
Windwalker Monks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
You leveled all the way to 89 with a hunter and didn't like it? Something had to keep you there right?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
don't play beast mastery, try MM or surv. beast mastery's gameplay(imo) is rather boring.
Reply Quote
93 Human Hunter
don't play beast mastery, try MM or surv. beast mastery's gameplay(imo) is rather boring.

Pretty much this.

Try Survival.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Windwalker Monks.

/thread
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
06/01/2013 02:24 PMPosted by Safetyoff

Pretty much this.

Try Survival.

It isn't any different. I don't know where people come up with this whole "BM is boring, other spec is better"

Want to know the difference between Survival and BM. You use Explosive Shot instead of Kill Command, you use Black Arrow instead of Bestial Wrath, you proc lock n' load instead of frenzy fire.

All 3 hunters specs basically play tug 'o war with their focus bar while making sure they have enough focus for their signature shot when it comes off cooldown.
Edited by Morkel on 6/1/2013 9:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
id suggest getting the lock to 90, the game changes entirely once you get kiljaedens cunning.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
all hunter specs are boring because it's literally the easiest class to do well with in any scenario. there's literally nothing complicated or interesting about the class that other classes don't posses.

there is no disadvantage to being a hunter at the moment but at the same time it's also extremely boring because of it
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
all hunter specs are boring because it's literally the easiest class to do well with in any scenario. there's literally nothing complicated or interesting about the class that other classes don't posses.

there is no disadvantage to being a hunter at the moment but at the same time it's also extremely boring because of it

100% this, My Steady Shot/KC Macro is bound to half my keyboard so i dont wear down one button more than another. Oh and my big red kitty button is the other half of my keyboard /sarcasm

If you dont like it dont play it. I dont know what youre coming to the forums asking total strangers what you should like to play. I love my hunter and have ever since Vanilla I have alts of various levels and a 90 shaman who is also loads of fun. This guy is and forever will be my main, and i find nothing boring about it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
id suggest getting the lock to 90, the game changes entirely once you get kiljaedens cunning.

Looks like this talent is getting nerfed into the ground in 5.4 though :( seems they want all casters to be forced into torrent style gameplay. talking about living in the 1990s
Reply Quote
59 Goblin Death Knight
So I have an 89 hunter and an 85 warlock. I never really got into my hunter nor my warlock. Could you suggest a DPS class to play that is wanted in dungeons/raids. Thanks!

BM hunter has more buttons to push them most other specs right now. Maybe you can be specific on what you don't like? People could be more helpful. If it's not enough buttons to push, then I don't know what to tell you.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Druid
hunters are topping all kinds of charts

lol what charts are those?

all hunter specs are boring because it's literally the easiest class to do well with in any scenario.

Source? Last I checked BMs opener read like a 2 page grocery list...

there's literally nothing complicated or interesting about the class that other classes don't posses.

Thats true except for the fact that you have a priority that entails:
SSting
Racial
RF
Stampede
Dire Beast
Kill Command
BW
AMOC
AShot
CSshot
GToss
Readiness
Trap selection
Trap Aim/placement
Focus Fire
Kill Shot
Rabid

Well there is the disadvantage that they are very poor dps in the hands of skilled players surrounded by other skilled players raiding heroic modes.

Not sure boring is the right word unless you mean they are boring because you have upwards of 13 to 15 CD's you have to track at all times and you still do crap dps?
Edited by Tbone on 6/16/2013 6:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
@tbone: You are entirely right that the priority list appears very daunting, with a huge number of buttons. And compared to most classes, it indeed is. However, pretty much every single one of those is a cooldown-based ability. Which means if you have a good WeakAuras setup, playing a hunter (in PvE) comes down to merely hitting the correct button when it lights up, and ensuring your focus isn't too low/high - allowing you to hit said button when it lights up. Since hunters can move while doing all this, there isn't even any thought about what needs to change in a heavy movement vs patchwork fight.

If you don't like cooldown-based play, well... hunter isn't going to work for you. Compare this to something like Windwalker Monks (and probably rogue) where you use chi/combo points. You can't just hit the button that lights up, you have to correctly build up your resource and then spend it appropriately. The situation can dictate some changes into how you go about this, and thus these classes will have a different feel than a cooldown-based class. Demo warlock would be similar with their demonic energy resource/demon form. Add in positional requirements for rogues, and you have something that feels more dynamic.

These are the two styles I'm most familar with. Would love to have someone chime in with other DPS classes and how they differ from either the cooldown style, or resource build/spend style.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Druid
06/16/2013 07:53 AMPosted by Gyraax
You can't just hit the button that lights up, you have to correctly build up your resource and then spend it appropriately. The situation can dictate some changes into how you go about this, and thus these classes will have a different feel than a cooldown-based class.

LOL and all you need to do this kind of thing is have a good addon that tracks combo points or chi energy and hit the right ability...

Its no harder or easier than any other class, you may find it easy to play a hunter or difficult to play a monk or a rogue but that doesnt mean its so.

Trying to say its easy to play a hunter who has to track 13 to 15 cds constantly and "hit the one that lights up" but then saying its hard to build 5 combo points or chi or whatever then hit the ability that you should is ridiculous.

Its the same thing, you build your points or focus or whatever and then you dump. If you dont have an addon to tell you what ability to use as a monk or a rogue then get one, theres tons out there just like how weak auras works for others.

/confused
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Reminds me of the times when some DPS raid member will say "hey, let's do an alt run" but then they never level tanks or healers. Just more dps.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]