Prot Pally pvp

67 Dwarf Paladin
Is prot pvp viable? I have been messing around with it, yes im a level 60 and im excited to reach 90 but will i be able to play prot paladin? Im not looking to be the best on damage, just wana survive and kill 1v1 :D
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
My guess would be no,prot specs are not needed for pvp aside flag carrying,and even then i dont think pally has the mobility to be a good FC >.< might be wrong! not 90 pally yet.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
at your level it's viable, but at 90? No not really.
Edited by Varexion on 6/2/2013 4:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
I can't comment on max level because the game is an entirely different beast after 80 and even more-so at 90, but until 80 Prot Paladin is the best spec you can play for PvP. You'll do the most damage and have the most survivability. Enjoy it for now and deal with 90 when 90 comes.
Reply Quote
96 Blood Elf Paladin
I tried this out of curiosity and I found it mildly entertaining, in the right hands it could pose a threat. using the normal "Ret" talents with the exception of HoJ, pick up burdened guilt for your snares, and either selfless healer or Eternal flame , I hope that's right ( the WoG HoT)
if you stack your buffs that you get everytime you Shield of Righteous you can get around 20k HoT ticks with max stacks of your Shield or Righteous buff. snare over kill is a must even with shield snare you still need a constant effective snare to land your blows considering almost all of the attacks on a Prot are melee range.

bursting is quite fun as prot. macro your wings, Holy Avenger . and Shield of righteous away. it destroys casters.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
When I did it I found myself more as a utility piece really. Disrupting casters, slowing demos etc. You can put out a nice amount of damage to if you handle it all well I constantly found myself up there in the top half of the table. If you have the patience then I'd say sure they can be viable.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well...not really.

But we were 1700 in 3s as Prot/Unholy/Disc.
For the most part it's just a healer skill check, against a good healer(and dps who had some idea of how to peel) we would lose every time.

I really wish they would balance tanks in pvp.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue

they are balanced. a dps loss in exchange for insane survivability.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
06/05/2013 11:26 AMPosted by Velexin

they are balanced. a dps loss in exchange for insane survivability.

Except this isn't true. Prot's survivability is actually quite low for a tank.
Edit: Though as a Rogue I can understand your position, Prot's mastery basically negates Rogues.

I'm not even going to count the fact that they are now useless in rbgs as FCs(lower survivability than most dps), because I don't play rbgs.
Edited by Kathira on 6/5/2013 3:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I was a warrior before I was a pally, and I always hated seeing Prot Pallies in BGs. Not because they were hard to kill or annoyingly good, but because they never protected anybody. At least not the ones I've faced.

This brings up a greater concern for tanks in general, in PvP: why can't they protect allies? SWTOR had an interesting solution to this. When you taunt an enemy, they do 30% less damage to anyone except you. This gave players a reason to target tanks, plus players became taunt-immune after a while, to prevent spamming.

I guess in summary, I don't mind Prots returning to PvP? I just want them to actually protect instead of hunt people down. :(
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Sadly no, prot pallies are the only tanks that are not PVP viable.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Sadly no, prot pallies are the only tanks that are not PVP viable.

i can attest to this
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Now I know Prot Pally PvP is awful, but it's one of those things I'm curious to try around and play myself.

So I have a question regarding to it. What would be the proper enchants for the Weapon/Shield?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Sadly no, prot pallies along with all other tanks are not PVP viable.

ftfy.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Rogue
Protection Paladin has it's own tier at the bottom of the PvP tier list.

It is without a doubt the absolute worst PvP spec in the entire game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Now I know Prot Pally PvP is awful, but it's one of those things I'm curious to try around and play myself.

So I have a question regarding to it. What would be the proper enchants for the Weapon/Shield?

I recommend checking out my guide which will answer those questions and more:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568887590

If you're super lazy, however, then the enchants you want are: Dancing Steel for Main Hand and Titanium Plating for Shield. The latter reduces Disarm Duration by 50% - best Shield enchant in game.

Protection Paladin has it's own tier at the bottom of the PvP tier list.

It is without a doubt the absolute worst PvP spec in the entire game.

Common misconception by the uninformed and, often, unskilled. I noticed that your first arena victory was on the 21/03/2013 - so perhaps spend some more time in PVP before giving out such absolute views?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
[quote]Now I know Prot Pally PvP is awful, but it's one of those things I'm curious to try around and play myself.

I recommend checking out my guide which will answer those questions and more:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568887590

If you're super lazy, however, then the enchants you want are: Dancing Steel for Main Hand and Titanium Plating for Shield. The latter reduces Disarm Duration by 50% - best Shield enchant in game.

Thanks a lot, I looked through it and thankfully I don't have to change anything in gear with the gems I have now. It's a bit costly for me to get dancing steel at the moment, my server it's well over 5k and I've been spending more money power leveling my BS.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Thanks a lot, I looked through it and thankfully I don't have to change anything in gear with the gems I have now. It's a bit costly for me to get dancing steel at the moment, my server it's well over 5k and I've been spending more money power leveling my BS.

Yeah it really depends on the server but I still recommend saving up for it. Get Titanium Plating for your Shield in the meantime though - it shouldn't be expensive, but you'll have to find a BS who can do it.

I had a look through your Talents & Glyphs - I recommend trying out style A) and B) from my guide and seeing if you like it. Gl !
Edited by Venomas on 6/10/2013 3:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
The only useful prot class in 90 pvp are blood DKs. Everything else is meh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]