• Shadow Priest
  • Balance Druid
  • Unholy Death Knight
  • Fury Warrior
  • Elemental Shaman
  • Retribution Paladin
  • Survival Hunter
  • Windwalker Monk

We are currently only worth 83.9% of what a fire mage is to a raid, as of the time of this post.

...and?

I mean, for one thing, there are the flaws inherent in taking only the top samples from self-selecting data.

And there's also the fact that the top spec is - by definition - overpowered, and thus not a valid point of comparison. And that "middle of the pack" is explicitly the goal and in fact the entire purpose of game balance.

And there's also the point that "worth to a raid" is not synonymous with DPS, and in many ways is not fungible at all.

And it's also worth pointing out that this is just another example of the "it's not the best, therefore it sucks" fallacy. Being unhappy because your chosen spec is not on top - not even below average, just not on top - is petulant prima donna behavior.

But more importantly than all of those things, the overwhelming majority of difficulties that raid groups face are of the PEBCAK variety. With three months of ToT loot and the Sword of Light buff, the very skilled fire mages clearing ToT at 5.2 launch weren't dealing much more DPS (if any at all) than a merely decent Ret now. DPS isn't the obstacle. The obstacle is playing well, and class balance is just a convenient scapegoat.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I honesty don't want to be top DPS anyway. If you're much higher than others, you're spec is probably going to get nerfed.

I like where we are. Strong, but cruising under the radar.
Edited by Andhar on 5/31/2013 6:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
http://i.imgur.com/9hfgbpO.gif
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I've never wanted to be the OP dps spec. I'm perfectly fine with how well we are doing right now.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Who cares about PVE - this is honestly about PVP
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
But that would mean we're still going in the same horrible direction, and dizzy to boot. *confused*

05/31/2013 05:52 PMPosted by Zhoe
Ret is definitely in a really really good spot. Coming from someone who played from vanilla (and I'm sure others will agree), this is not even just a 360, but a loopdy loop side step shotgun slap apple 720 turn from where it used to stand. I'm looking at you patch 4.0, you dirty bastard.

I get what you are saying, and agree with it entirely, but do people understand that doing a 360 puts you back facing the same direction. If someone or something changes from awful to good they are going the opposite way (180).

Sorry, not trying to pick on you at all, I just see and hear this term used wrong more and more.
Haha, I hear y'all, and it's all good. I was just trying to overexaggerate the meaning of "balanced" for ret paladin.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin

Not everyone PvPs, and not everyone has felt that Ret was in a good spot for PvE. Just shut it and let your fellow Rets rejoice, regardless of their content preference.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

You're not welcomed here PAL.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
http://i.imgur.com/9hfgbpO.gif

why is this so friggin hilarious??? i cant stop giggling XD
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Top 100 Parses - Showing Last 7 Days

• Fire Mage
  • Affliction Lock
  • Assassination Rogue
  • Shadow Priest
  • Balance Druid
  • Unholy Death Knight
  • Fury Warrior
  • Elemental Shaman
  • Retribution Paladin
  • Survival Hunter
  • Windwalker Monk

We are currently only worth 83.9% of what a fire mage is to a raid, as of the time of this post.

Ahh there he is, the guy who thinks top 100 parses are indicative of anything definitive or important. I was wondering when you'd show up.

Don't want to but in but is Ret damage in general dependant on gear in the same way as other melee classes? New to mine.

Yes, ret is very gear dependent.

What a shocker that he took 4 weeks of progression to kill a heroic that his class' utility trivializes a major tank mechanic in.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
What a shocker that he took 4 weeks of progression to kill a heroic that his class' utility trivializes a major tank mechanic in
WHOA don't give him any ideas now, that would break his argument completely.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
So u think mages have a nerf coming? Really? Good on ya mate wake me up when that pig fly ZzzZzz ZzzZzz....
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This is without a doubt the best patch for rets in MoP. ^_^

(patch 5.2 was rly nice with the huge buff to FoL, but 5.3 still wins imo)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Yeah, we're in a good place. Aside from some nit-picks I have about our mechanics, I'm content with where we are.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ret's really good now. Nothing like constantly topping the meters in the last raid I was in.

/sit back, kick feet up, enjoy life
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I honestly don't have any complaints as far as Ret goes, like what was said above, most things come down to nitpicking. "Devotion Aura" removing silence is HUGE - considering we get it from both ends - disarmed AND silence. And being able to cast "Divine Shield" is awesome too, and has helped boost survivability.

As far as gap closers go - I actually like "Pursuit" more than "Long Arm" for the sustained speed - which is helpful when I'm throwing judgments around for a full 3 bars of holy power.

And it's true, these recent changes for PVP power and resilience have really helped level the field, especially when it comes to our off healing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Did I mention because of the damage buff, I've found myself relying less on blowing my CDs? Oh, and being able to solo classes with a "reasonable amount of success" that I wasn't before (Fmages and Spriest, I'm looking at you) is nice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well when the Hand of Light bug gets fixed then i will agree :P.

Thats pretty much it, oh and change our druid symbiosis.. wrath really guys?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]