Ret what happened?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
82 days played the most of my toons. I main'd a ret pally all the way from day one of BC through launch of cata and then just, stopped playing him. Other than the ocasional DS run in cata. My question is now, how has ret changed over cata and mop? What am I in for, and is the style of play still the same? I feel something strange has been pulling me back to my pally now, I guess the only thing thats stopped me till now is the thought of getting all new gear for him. Any insight would be much appreciated!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Ret is in the best state that I have ever seen it - and I started in BC, and still love the the old 30s Judgement-consumed Seals. Mechanically, we're still like we were in Cata except that everything generates Holy Power instead of just CS. Haste is now our prime stacking stat because it reduces our GCD and the ACDs of pretty much the entire rotation - which means that, with good gear, there's rarely any downtime.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
06/03/2013 04:25 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
Ret is in the best state that I have ever seen it
did you see it in LK?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Yes. I hated Ret in Wrath because it was absurdly easy and faceroll. There was no skill involved, no challenge; it was boring as hell.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret in wrath wasn't actually that good, it was even quite bad for most of it. If you had SM/TA/2T10 it was great, but rets tended to be fairly far down the list for getting SM and it wasn't that ret was good, it was having a legendary and a trinket that should have been legendary was really good because they interacted with really poorly coded mechanics that Blizzard was too lazy to fix.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
@ Cayse How are you enjoying pvp on your ret atm?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am also enjoying my ret pally right now...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
did you see it in LK?

Overpowered and faceroll doesn't quite equate to being in a good state. It's a fairly broken state, actually.

Anyway, I like how Ret feels these days. HoPo generation is a lot faster than it was in Cata, so we can pump out our finishers a lot faster. Like Grognard said, at high enough gear levels, you're hitting something every GCD, so there's no downtime at all practically.

This coupled with a large amount of group utility really makes Ret stand out, in my opinion. Yeah, some things need to be tweaked, but we're in a really good spot right now, and hopefully we'll stay that way.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
more buffs pls...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
No, 'cause then we'd need nerfs. :p
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm having super fun on my ret pally right now, in BGs. My gear and the recent buffs have brought me a considerable DPS increase, and it feels like I'm doing mid-to-high amount of damage. When I burst, things explode. I feel strong, but not OP. I like where I'm at.

It was a good move by Blizz to slowly buff us from our nerfed position, and at least from a BG standpoint, I think our PvP is very good. I'm not even fully geared yet.

I play the Ret pally style (burst every 2 min, support, heal and pick your fights otherwise) and am not disappointed. I spend the majority of a game following around a good player of my choice, and keep enemies off them. I usually do extremely well when I'm with someone else. If it's going it solo, it's not as good.

Just my two cents.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
If you played in Cata think of Ret as a very streamlined and smoothed out version of what was going on then.

Ret is indeed in the best place it has ever been.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Regardless of its strength/weakness/facrollness(making it a word!) in Wrath, nothing was more pleasing than having Divine Storm in your rotation, because let's face it-it's sexy.

That said, I like where ret is at, aside from certain aoe mechanics.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It was a good move by Blizz to slowly buff us from our nerfed position, and at least from a BG standpoint, I think our PvP is very good. I'm not even fully geared yet.

pvp wise.. why was this slow buff a good move? Hunters and locks were broken at the beginning of mop.. ret was weak. After pvp power healing nerf, ret was even weaker and other classes remained broken. I played my ret enough to keep getting gear points each week and levelled alts. Now ret is fun again and it's 5.3. We still get trained into the ground, but at least I feel like an asset to my team now. We should have been fixed a lot sooner.
Edited by Devilas on 6/4/2013 11:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Regardless of its strength/weakness/facrollness(making it a word!) in Wrath, nothing was more pleasing than having Divine Storm in your rotation, because let's face it-it's sexy.

That said, I like where ret is at, aside from certain aoe mechanics.

I have no idea why people continue to say things like Ret was faceroll, I remember Arcane Mages pressing 2 buttons at the time.

I still wish we had the old Divine Storm and Sacred Shield back, 3 Judgements with the blue and red would be nice to have aswell.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
We do have Sacred Shield back, dude. Unless you mean the Cata version, but you seemed to be implying the WotLK version.

Arcane Mages may have been a 2-button rotation, but it was Ret that became famous for PvP videos featuring /castrandom macros.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
06/05/2013 01:08 AMPosted by Nytró
I have no idea why people continue to say things like Ret was faceroll, I remember Arcane Mages pressing 2 buttons at the time.

Arcane still uses mainly two buttons; my opinion, it's still probably the easiest and least engaging spec in the game.

But, despite having some six or so rotational buttons back then, Ret was faceroll. It simply did not matter what button we pushed when, so long as we pushed a button. A /castsequence or /castrandom macro could do all the work for you and you could literally push one button for optimum effect;and compared to someone that monitored their rotation for maximum effect, the difference was slim - one the order of hundreds of DPS, which was a much more significant gap back then.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Ret is in the best state that I have ever seen it - and I started in BC

do you not remember feb 2, 2012. I think every ret should remember that day. In fact, it should be a national holiday.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
That had absolutely nothing to do with Ret and everything to do with a stupidly broken weapon; but Ret still got singled out and punished for it. I'll pass on that holiday, thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm very happy with ret right now.. Only thing I'd like to see is some options to improve our survivability while being trained, or at least deter us from being the get trained target 90% of the time. Lower defensive cds... Ideas: Glyph option to rework DS to lower the cd... Improve the Glyph of Divine protection... 25% overall damage reduction instead of 20%. Make Seal of Insight reduce damage taken by ~10% for rets, since it's already a huge dps loss and don't do crap when we're stunned.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]